Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honest Opinion Road Glide

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 05:55 AM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeboztx
One item that's overlooked about the RG's handling is the different steering configuration. I believe the RG has the forks aft of the neck bearing stem shaft and the other touring models have the forks forward of the stem. I might be wrong about whether the RG is fwd or aft but up to at least 09 they are opposite the other models.

I just bought my 2nd RG, a 09, 3 months ago because I didn't like the changes to the 10. Makes me wonder if they kept the original fork configuration on the 10, are for cost reasons did they go to the regular touring configuration.
Mike
You are correct and I myself don't recall which has which but I believe the 09 and prior FLTRs have the forks aft of the neck, which is opposite all the other Harley Tourers. As I mentioned, it is the "little changes" that made the pre 2010 Road Glides unique. The 2010s will have whatever's been standard on the Street Glide most likely but yes, they're all motorcycles..

Last edited by RODEO; 03-09-2010 at 06:02 AM.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:29 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,334 Likes on 2,526 Posts

Originally Posted by RODEO
You are correct and I myself don't recall which has which but I believe the 09 and prior FLTRs have the forks aft of the neck, which is opposite all the other Harley Tourers. As I mentioned, it is the "little changes" that made the pre 2010 Road Glides unique. The 2010s will have whatever's been standard on the Street Glide most likely but yes, they're all motorcycles..
i cant speak for all years of touring models, but for 07, you are not correct. all of the touring models use the same triple trees in the same configuration.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:42 PM
kuma
Cruiser

Just bought a Denim black Road glide custom come off a 2006 street glide took about 5 miles to get the hang of it. Handles and rides 10 folds over the streetglide I had. also love the spacious feeling it gives you almost sportbike type handling.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:14 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 360 Posts

I believe the 09 and prior FLTRs have the forks aft of the neck, which is opposite all the other Harley Tourers.
..... from Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harley-Davidson_FL

"The FLT Tour Glide was introduced in 1979. Sold alongside the existing FLH Electra Glide, the FLT had a larger frame with rubber engine mounts, a five-speed transmission, the 80 cu in (1,300 cc) engine, and a frame-mounted fairing. In order that the FLT frame, which was larger and heavier than the large and heavy FLH frame, would handle acceptably, the front forks were given radical steering geometry which had them mounted behind the steering head, with the frame behind the steering head being recessed to allow adequate steering lock."

...... this may have changed when the Tour Glide went away for a few years before being reintroduced as FLTR. I'd bet that with the '09 frame change we all ride on the same triple tree set up

Old 03-09-2010, 06:30 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,829 Likes on 1,592 Posts

All of the touring bikes have the forks behind the steering head. Since way back... Nothing special about the 06,07,08 Road Glides or what have you.
Their steering setup is the same as the 09 and 10. Well minus a little extra rake I believe since 09.

Also, for those that think the 2010 RG is a SG with a road glide fairing...personally I think the 2009 RG is a watered down Ultra with a RG fairing.
I also like using the Ultra lowers on my 2010. Bolted right on.

lp

Last edited by lp; 03-09-2010 at 07:12 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:01 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

Great Avatar Dude!

Old 03-09-2010, 07:10 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,829 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Great Avatar Dude!
If that was for me...Thanks! Man I love that Red Hot Sunglow on your bike. That truly is the best of the best in colors of the Road Glides....my Opinion.

lp

Old 03-09-2010, 07:35 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by txfxstrider
You better ride one first. Every RG owner seems to say they love them but that could be like a guy with an ugly girlfriend saying he loves her personality or cooking. Yes, she may be a great dancer but remember you will be seen in public with her.
Well said here, I would rent one and ride it as well as check others out too. I personally think the UC is the best bike for the money and long trips. The RG looks too much like a GW to me. JMO

Old 03-09-2010, 08:17 PM
Chicago Spike
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a 2007 Road Glide and now have a 2009 Ultra.

Road Glide =
Great riding bike at slow and highway speeds. No weight of the fairing on the forks helps greatly in slow speeds.
Fairing does excellent job at directing air around the rider, but passenger and my hands seems to take the brunt of the wind

Ultra;
Steering is a tad heavy at slow speeds. Coming off a Road Glide, I had to get used to that but it is fine now.
Fairing blocks wind from rider and riders hands, excellent if you ride in cold weather
CB radio

I would have stayed with my Road Glide if someone could have got the darn CB radio to work in it. 4 different people including a fire/police/cb radio expert could not get my CB to work. So I traded it for the Ultra.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:51 PM
bunkerbeer
Road Master

Love mine.

Quick Reply: Honest Opinion Road Glide