Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honest Opinion Road Glide

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 01:32 AM
sniper uk
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go for it....i,d love one....

but we cant get them in the U.K.

Old 02-25-2010, 03:29 AM
Aztecking
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had a Road King and two Ultra's and when I test rode the Road Glide at a dealership I was hooked! This summer I switched with my buddy because he rides an Ultra and is trying to decide if he's going to get a RG and after riding his for a while I couldn't wait to get back on the RG. I'll never go back to the bat wing. I was out riding last week and a big semi was coming my way on a two lane road and after he went past I smiled and said "I remember on the Ultra I had to brace for the wind blast and the bike being thrown around but now it doesn't move the bike one bit". I suggest test riding one or renting one if you can. You might just drink the kool-aid like the rest of us.

Jeff

Old 02-25-2010, 04:09 AM
Grillfish
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1) Rent one for a day or a weekend.

2) The 2010 and 2009 and before are different bikes. 2010, lowered shocks and seat, thus you might look into that. 2009 is higher and nice seat. 2010 fairing sits 1" higher than 2009 and before. Look into cruise control, might be an option on 2010's and standard on 2009 and before.

3) Stock windshield on both bikes is terrible, especially 2010 as they went with looks over function. The stock 2009 shield is better, but folks (and I) got buffeting.

4) Add lowers (and then get your shield) and 99% of the buffeting is gone. you can go with Hogg Chopps or HD version. The 2010 RG usues Ultra style, 2009 RG and before use RG specific lowers, but you can add vents if neded.

5) Some folks change the bars to Heritage style to help with the reach. I added a drivers backrest that kept me from slouching and the stock bars fit good.

6) If I didn't say it before, rent one (try to find an 2009 to ride and the 2010).

Good luck, ride safe and have fun.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:44 AM
ybnorml
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27,323 Likes on 11,035 Posts

Its more about comfort and less about 'fuglyness'
I'm not comfortable setting behind a batwing, as I feel cramped and confined...
Where as setting behind the sharknose I'm able to stretch out and relax more/better.

My '08 handles like a dream....the wind over/under/around the windshield
doesn't bother me in the least, cross winds are almost unnoticeable...and when
others point and laugh at me, I just shake my head and laugh at them because they truly don't realize how comfortable this bike really is.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:57 AM
mslater741
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Grillfish
1) Rent one for a day or a weekend.

2) The 2010 and 2009 and before are different bikes. 2010, lowered shocks and seat, thus you might look into that. 2009 is higher and nice seat. 2010 fairing sits 1" higher than 2009 and before. Look into cruise control, might be an option on 2010's and standard on 2009 and before.

3) Stock windshield on both bikes is terrible, especially 2010 as they went with looks over function. The stock 2009 shield is better, but folks (and I) got buffeting.

4) Add lowers (and then get your shield) and 99% of the buffeting is gone. you can go with Hogg Chopps or HD version. The 2010 RG usues Ultra style, 2009 RG and before use RG specific lowers, but you can add vents if neded.

5) Some folks change the bars to Heritage style to help with the reach. I added a drivers backrest that kept me from slouching and the stock bars fit good.

6) If I didn't say it before, rent one (try to find an 2009 to ride and the 2010).

Good luck, ride safe and have fun.
+1....the key is the lowers and windshield....thats where alot of guys miss the boat test riding one since they dont come with the proper stuff on them.. than find a road that has semis traveling at a high speed and ride against them....only way you will understand what were talking about...guys that dont see the difference because all touring bikes are the same are out of their minds.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:34 AM
Eddy G
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

I loved my 04 Road Glide for what ever reason I thought I wanted a change after 5 good seasons and almost 40K wonderful miles.

So I sold it and bought an Electra Glide Classic. It's a nice bike and the newer motor, 6 speed are great additions.

BUT I so miss my Road Glide. It road and handled completely different then the bat wing.
I just loved it and believe I'll be back on another one some day.

Thats just my opinion. Good luck!

Old 02-25-2010, 08:37 AM
honorsdaddy
Road Master
Default As others have said...

Rent one and put a few hundred miles on it.

The fixed fairing makes a world of difference over the batwing models. No rudder effect, less weight on the forks, better handling. If someone pops off with some crap about how the gauges turn when the fairing doesnt, or how the lights dont turn with the bike, just remember that at anything over about 5mph you're not turning the bars anyway - you're leaning. In other words, those are just BS reasons because they don't want to just say "its ugly".

One other advantage, honestly, is its not the same bike everyone else has. No offense to the FLHX owners, but they're pretty darned common.

Once you ride one - you'll understand.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:32 AM
mike1158
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this may seem a little weird, especially coming from a Street Glide guy (a guy who bought one 2 months ago) but i have to admit that RGs are REALLY growing on me....and i haven't even riden one. I think they are gonna become alot more popular.. the styling changes made to the new ones are really turning alot of heads, and causing people to look into that "different" bike...
Was at the dealer the other day and saw a 2010 Denim Black.. SHARP!!!!
Guy i know just bought a 2010, and i wanna ride it BAD. Who knows maybe down the road..........

Old 02-25-2010, 11:10 AM
Foley
Cruiser

I've been on some long trips with my RG and love it. I had to pu tlowers on it and highway pegs along with finding out the right windshield for me. I'm 6'4" and I went through 3-4 windshields. I also put 17" apes on mine and now it fits like a recliner. We're heading out Saturday for a 2300 mile trip and I know I won't have one issue at all. I think the stock seat is very comfortable too, epsecially with the riders adjustable backrest.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:21 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 490 Likes on 255 Posts

Rent one for a week end, heck.... see about renting each for a week end and making your decision.
now..... the stock 2010 FLTRX windshield is (IMO) worthless.

regarding the fairing......when you ride your bike, do you watch the road ahead? or do you watch the triple trees???
I don't think I've ever noticed the fairing... it is only an issue to folks who want to HAVE an issue

Quick Reply: Honest Opinion Road Glide