Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honest Opinion Road Glide

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 10:01 PM
one-up
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

I test rode a 2010 SG and a 2010 RG custom. I think they both handle very well. Personally I would have more trouble getting used to the stretched fairing of the RG. That being said, both of them provide very little wind protection to the face (I'm 6'3") with the stock shorty windscreens. They look really cool, but are worthless for face protection. You'll want to think about Klockwerks (or some other competetive brand) 11" or 16" windshield if you get the SG or the RG.

For what it's worth.
John

Old 02-24-2010, 10:05 PM
Cyphilis
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had an Ultra Classic before, and I can tell you I will never ride a batwing again. The sharknose is the only way to travel. Its not for everyone, but it is 100% for me.
Like others have said,.. rent one, or find a guy in town that has one. I haven't met a road glide owner yet, that won't tell you (over and over again) or let you go take his out,.. because its just so damn good we all want to share.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:30 PM
stukes_md
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the Road King Classic, nice bike. My Road Glide is a great bike. Wind, I love the wind so no problem with that. You don't have to buy that three pouch thing for the windshield for storage space. If you like gaudy chrome accents, Kuryakyn makes a bunch for the Road Glide fairing so that's another plus. If you're a big waver, you may get frustrated when oncoming Harleys mistake the dual headlights for a metric and ignore you. Even thieves find it fugly and don't go anywhere near them. Hope this helps.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:38 PM
pavin
Tourer

love my 05 looking at purching a 10 in the near furture.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:49 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

You better ride one first. Every RG owner seems to say they love them but that could be like a guy with an ugly girlfriend saying he loves her personality or cooking. Yes, she may be a great dancer but remember you will be seen in public with her.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:56 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 297 Likes on 177 Posts

Love mine.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:00 PM
monzaman
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have owned 2 batwings (04 and o6) and 2 roadglides (08 and 09). My preference is definately the road glide. I am a fairly big guy and the bike just feels less crowded. Always felt cramped on the e-glides. Handling is much improved over the batwing models. Just feels lighter to steer. The only negative for me has been less wind protection but honestly it is not a major difference. Looks are totally a personal preference so I won't comment on that aspect. Good luck!

Old 02-24-2010, 11:51 PM
MNrider
Tourer

I took a SG out on the test ride, other than that I don't have much experience on the batwing. I really like my RG. I'm 5'-8" and can see over the shield. With my half helmet, the buffeting is bad over 70ish mph. With my 3/4 helmet with a face shield it's really not bad until 80 or so, which i very rarely do. I think the wind catches on the bottom edges of the half helmet and that's what is making my head bounce around. Never tried it without a helmet. I'm looking at a clearview or windvest this spring and hope that it helps, or i'll be sticking with the 3/4 helmet. If you wear a full face or no helmet, it's probably a non issue. Other than that, it's a joy to ride. Super smooth and the mirrors are crystal clear.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:44 AM
hot95hog
Cruiser

Love my RG, Put an 8in Klock Werks on it , should of went a bit taller as i do and so will you get a little buffeting until you figure out which windshield fits you. Many dealers let you test them at the bigger rallys.

I have ridden a SG and didn't care for it. I am in the market for another RG as I launched mine off an ice patch into a rice paddy here in Korea and it literally exploded, all the plastic and everything in the fairing is gone. 20K to fix it, at the prices the HD dealer charges here. The only thing bad about the next RG I get is it will be a 2010 in Black (all that's available) and I loved my Sunglo Red one.

Trying to get the Korean company to foot the bill for the repairs, as a new RG in Korea is 35K. Ain't import tax wonderful.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:13 AM
FunkyNova66
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Road Glides are horrible and ugly. Don't buy one...everybody will laugh at you. <inserts sarcasm>

Seriously, the bike is incredible. Add lowers and the appropriate aftermarket shield and you have one killer long distance machine. The fairing not turning is a non-issue (never paid it any mind from the moment I first drove the RG. I absolutely love mine.

Quick Reply: Honest Opinion Road Glide