Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honest Opinion Road Glide

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 10:17 AM
Trunk Monkey
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 08 RG and love it. Had to lower the rear end and cut down the seat for my 5-04 frame. Also shopping windshields. The stock was terrible for me. I had to either duck or stretch to look over it. Have had a Memphis Shades 9 inch on for over a year and the wind blast sucks. But all else aside, the RG is excellent. It's like a HD sport tourer... Just need to find the right windshield.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:15 PM
jcanrun
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I love my 09 but here are the major +'s and -'s in my opinion:

1. handles great since the fairing is mounted on the frame, gives a light steering feel. especially good at high freeway speeds.

2. not too many of them out there, while you see alot of street glides, electras, ultras, kings, etc.

3. very roomy, if you are tall or on the big side. fairing is farther away from you.

4. too far of a stretch, if you are short. the radio buttons are a stretch, might need some handlebars with more pull back.

5. head lights suck overall. not very much light. very hard to adjust. can't really upgrade the bulbs too much as you will generate too much heat for the fairing. if you want more light, probably will have to go with an auxillary light such as motolights, piaa's, harley fog lights, etc.

6. windshields and buffeting. some people have no issues. others have major issues. took me 4 windshields to get the right one.

7. looks. this goes either way. nothing like a road glide with a short windshield and ape hangers, looks great. but, looks dorky with a large windshield, in my opinion.

i agree with the other suggestions. you should rent one for the day or a weekend and put some miles on it, especially freeway, back roads and in the city so.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:38 PM
Phurion
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sold my 07 Street Glide back in November. Spent 5 months not riding. Gives me a good "starting over" point.

Went to my dealer and rode both a 2010 FLHX and FLTRX. Twice each, alternating between them. Chose the FLTRX without any hesitation.

Last weekend I let my buddy ride it while I hopped on his '08 FLHX. IMMEDIATELY noticed a HUGE difference, which confirmed I prefer the '10 RG far more than I do the SG's.

Yesterday I let another buddy ride it while I hopped on his '09 Ultra. All I can say is "UGH! GIMME BACK MY RG!"

I don't care what anyone says about how "ugly", "fugly", or whatever the RG is, and I care even less about what this new strain of "RG purists" (wtf? 0.o) thinks about my 2010.

I bought it because *I* liked it, not because I wanted to impress anyone else. Period. I bought the SG back in '07 because I liked the sporty style. Now I've made the transition to the RG for the exact same reasons. The 2010's have a look and feel that I like *better* than 09's and prior. However, for the record, I was looking for an '09 CVO RG black/silver, but my dealer couldn't locate one in inventory. That's when I started looking at the '10's and ultimately decided on the RG custom in black denim.

Ride what ya like, and leave everyone else to do the same.

Last edited by Phurion; 04-01-2010 at 02:44 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:20 PM
liltrk
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DTTJGlide
I'm in the process of doing the same thing to a 2000 Ultra, liltrk did you use the same harness when you changed to the RG fairing or did you buy the fairing harness for a RG? I'm going to try & extend mine for the radio & small gauges, was just wondering which way you went, hoping that I can get by with the Ultra harness.
Don't want to hijack the thread, but to answer quickly I extended them myself.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:20 AM
f-bomb
6th Gear

I just traded my 06 WG for a 07 RG. Can't stop riding it!

Old 05-17-2010, 02:02 AM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i had a 08 roadglide i bought from the dealer here where i live it was a rental and i did like it alot till i rode to laughlin. and that made me steer away from the rg my tranny went out and it was still under warranty but they said it would take a couple weeks to fix it.i didnt want to be without a bike and it was a good excuse for me to buy a new bike. so i bought a streetglide this time iam not saying i didnt like the roadglide to much buffeting for me but they handle very nice and cuts the wind very well getting use to the fairing not moving is no big deal.i do like the 09-10s very eye catching any way good luck on what ever u choose.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:08 AM
soold
Intermediate

Went to the dealer and test road the 10 SG and RG. Decided on the RG and found 2 09s at a dealer one of which had a color my wife loved. Bought both. Orange for her and good old fashioned black for me. We are both about 5'6 so I lowered hers (10s are already lowered). We don't look back at all. Good luck what ever you decide.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:09 AM
dirtracin23
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
[U]Also, for those that think the 2010 RG is a SG with a road glide fairing...personally I think the 2009 RG is a watered down Ultra with a RG fairing.
lp
Thats what I was thinking. Or is it just a EG Standard with a Shark nose fairing, radio, and more chrome??? Yep, thats what it is!

Old 05-17-2010, 11:16 AM
Kevin's_09FXDF
Road Captain

GET ONE!!! IMO they are the sickest bike Harley makes. I road a 2010 demo one and the only thing i didn't like was the handle bars they have a weird almost up-sweep to them (i'd throw apes on there anyways). Also the one i road had a crooked fairing, the while sitting on the bike the left side of the fairing dipped down ever so slightly but it was driving me crazy.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:06 PM
frontiercat
Elite HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Just test ride one...before I bought my Ultra, I rode both the RG and the Ultra.

Well, I bought the Ultra. Wind turbulence was far greater on the RG...just my opinion only.

Quick Reply: Honest Opinion Road Glide