Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 21" wheel, brake question

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 08:28 PM
r8rs4lf
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 21" wheel, brake question

I recently installed a 21" wheel with matching rotors from PM. Now I feel the front brake lever pulsating like there is a high/low spot on the rotor or maybe something with the old pads. Has anyone experienced this after changing out the front wheel? Should I change out the old pads for new ones? Suggestions??

Also, how far is the axle supposed to go into the fork? I noticed there is a high spot on the axle where the hole is (opposite of the axle nut.) Is the axle supposed to go in all the way to that point because mine doesn't. Maybe this has to do with my brake problem???

Help????

Old 02-24-2010, 05:45 AM
timvan
Road Warrior

The axle should be completely inserted into the fork, just as the oem wheel was. As for your brake pulsation, are the rotors flush to the wheel? If they are they sound bent

Dont ride it until you get the axle problem fixed

Old 02-24-2010, 05:54 AM
two hks
2nd Gear

The wheel spacers are two differant sizes are thay in the place

Old 02-24-2010, 05:56 AM
hdgstreetglide
Intermediate

Some will tell you not to install new pads some will tell u yes. At my shop I have always reccomended putting on new ones anytime u install new rotors. This will allow the pads to wear to the new rotors. I have pads wear more in the front or more in the back of the pad. Can't really explain it but it does. Install new ones is my suggestion.

The axle should be flush. Good choice of wheels. It was so hard for me to decide on my pm wheels as they have a great selection. Your gonna love it.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:27 AM
r8rs4lf
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by hdgstreetglide
Some will tell you not to install new pads some will tell u yes. At my shop I have always reccomended putting on new ones anytime u install new rotors. This will allow the pads to wear to the new rotors. I have pads wear more in the front or more in the back of the pad. Can't really explain it but it does. Install new ones is my suggestion.

The axle should be flush. Good choice of wheels. It was so hard for me to decide on my pm wheels as they have a great selection. Your gonna love it.
Flush as in it should be in all the way to that groove on the axle? The groove sits about 1/4 of the way past the hole (used to keep axle from turning) on the axle.

Also, before I installed the wheel, I talked with PM and they told me the rotors were all tightened down so no need for me to do it.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:43 AM
gabulldog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if this might be causing the issue but I had to "shim" my caliper in order to center the rotor with the pads. I have RC wheels/rotor and a HHI caliper. Maybe with stock calipers this is not something that is necessary. As someone else stated I would for sure get new pads.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:50 AM
BDHE
Cruiser

Greetings;

I just put on a new set of wheels and brake rotors. My new rotors had excessive run-out in them that would have caused the kind of flutter you describe. It was bad enough the wheel supplier sent me a set of floating rotors as a no-cost replacement.

Something to check.

Bryon

Old 02-24-2010, 06:54 AM
Fitter64
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure wheel spacers are correct. Floating rotors have a small tolerance over rigid mounts however, nothing beats proper tire spacer alignment. I also agree on new pads to wear to new rotors. IMO

Old 02-24-2010, 06:55 AM
crewchief25
Tourer
Received 53 Likes on 23 Posts
Default wheel shim

I had the same problem with Hogpro 21 front wheel. I had to shim the wheel to the right .050 to get the rotors centered in the calipers. Then I replaced the rotors with Lyndall floaters. I think I had a 2 part problem, the hogpro rotors were 1 piece and they warped, next was the wheel off center.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:04 AM
r8rs4lf
Road Warrior

OK so I guess I'll remove and reinstall the axle and get it in all the way first. My axle is not in all the way to that raised portion on the axle.

Where did you guys get these shims/spacers to center the wheel?

Quick Reply: New 21" wheel, brake question