Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with center screw on fairing

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 06:06 PM
rvnkontum
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need help with center screw on fairing

[IMG][/IMG]HELP! Received my windshield from CustomFLHT yesterday, installed it today, but no matter what I do, I cannot get the center screw on the fairing to line up and screw down flush. Left and right go in fine but the center one is entering at a downward angle and will not screw in more than a quarter of the way, the washer is spinning freely and there is a gap in the center on the rider's side of the fairing. I tried pushing down on the outer fairing, pulling up on the inner fairing, and I loosened the two screws on the inner fairing but was afraid I would open a can of worms so I screwed them back again.
I reinstalled the stock windshield but that didn't help. Went back to the new windshield, removed the double leather fairing pouches thinking that might have something to do with it but no luck, don't know what to do, I'm thinking I'd better go to the dealer and ask him to help, unless somebody can tell me what's wrong. My wife asked if I was sure it was flush when I took it off, I actually have a couple of pictures showing that it was flush, I'm including here. If anyone can tell me what to do, I'd really appreciate it.[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by rvnkontum; 02-23-2010 at 06:09 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:07 PM
ashmarc
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Have a smoke and a beer and go back to it later........

........usually works for me.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:12 PM
rvnkontum
Tourer

Originally Posted by ashmarc
have a smoke and a beer and go back to it later........

........usually works for me.
bravo!

Old 02-23-2010, 06:13 PM
bfrank
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine was a little off and I got it in by pulling the fairing out a little and got the bolt started. That allowed me to screw it in nice and straight.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:20 PM
rvnkontum
Tourer

Originally Posted by bfrank
Mine was a little off and I got it in by pulling the fairing out a little and got the bolt started. That allowed me to screw it in nice and straight.
Did that, looked promising, but didn't work.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:21 PM
BuckeyeRider
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ine was off when I changed the inner fairing. Thought I'd never get it. Finally got it after taking a break and drinking a beer.

Ypo should shrink your pics. Your post is way too wide.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:30 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

I had the same problem on my 2010 EGC when I added the chrome trim on the fairing. The center nut seemed to fall down after I removed the bolt. What I did to get it lined up was to remove the 2 outer bolts and then start the center one first. If you look you will see that it probably dropped down. I actually had to push the center bolt in there to catch the nut and then kinda pry up to get it started. Hope this helps. Sounds like yours might not even be starting correctly, maybe cross threaded.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:39 PM
rvnkontum
Tourer

Originally Posted by KCFLHTC
I had the same problem on my 2010 EGC when I added the chrome trim on the fairing. The center nut seemed to fall down after I removed the bolt. What I did to get it lined up was to remove the 2 outer bolts and then start the center one first. If you look you will see that it probably dropped down. I actually had to push the center bolt in there to catch the nut and then kinda pry up to get it started. Hope this helps. Sounds like yours might not even be starting correctly, maybe cross threaded.
center nut did drop down, when I spoke to Windshield maker, he said it might be cross threaded, could I have down that? I started out very slowly and didn't force the bolt, if it is, what's solution?

Old 02-23-2010, 06:42 PM
BAGGERNATE
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

You might give this a try. Loosen up the other 4 screws that hold faring on. Not a lot, just a few turns, allowing faring to move around some. Then remove all 3 at the windsheild. Start again with the center screw. When you get that one started and going in smoothly, but not tight, start the other 2 one at a time. The outer 2 screws are easier to minipulate close to the edge. When those are started correctly, go back tighten the center, then the outer 2, then back to the other 4 you loosened up. Give that a try. What do you have to loose?

Nate

Old 02-23-2010, 06:48 PM
rvnkontum
Tourer

Originally Posted by BAGGERNATE
You might give this a try. Loosen up the other 4 screws that hold faring on. Not a lot, just a few turns, allowing faring to move around some. Then remove all 3 at the windsheild. Start again with the center screw. When you get that one started and going in smoothly, but not tight, start the other 2 one at a time. The outer 2 screws are easier to minipulate close to the edge. When those are started correctly, go back tighten the center, then the outer 2, then back to the other 4 you loosened up. Give that a try. What do you have to loose?

Nate
I loosened two under the speakers, didn't know about other two, will locate and give it a shot, any chance i might screw up fairing all together?

Quick Reply: Need help with center screw on fairing