Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with center screw on fairing

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 10:50 PM
hawg08
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd guess not. I've had mine off probably 10 times and it never goes back on the same way twice. But in the end it always lines up eventually. I believe when you loosen the two bottom ones and try lining it up everything will be fine. Chin up!!

Old 02-23-2010, 11:04 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have exactly the same problem. The inner ends up witha stress point that's particularly noticable with a glossy painted inner. Perhaps I can adjust inner?

Old 02-23-2010, 11:55 PM
jdeitrick
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Remove all 7 screws, the windshield, and the outer fairing. Try to screw the center windshield screw into the brass insert (without the outer fairing or windshield in place). If it screws in normally, it is an alignment problem with the outer fairing or windshield, which should be easy to fix (keep trying until you get it lined up correctly). If the screw doesn't go in correctly, the problem is with the insert. The insert may have moved (crooked, pushed in too far, etc.). You will need to properly align the insert. If the insert is loose you will need to epoxy it in place (Golfsmith makes a quick set epoxy for golf clubs that is easy to mix and use and works great on these inserts). If the insert is not out of position, but the screw won't go in, re-tap the threads as mentioned in an earlier post on this thread. Hope this helps.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:42 AM
ashmarc
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rvnkontum
I've only had this bike for three or four weeks now and I don't want to get impatient and do something stupid.
This is a smart man.

I applaud your patience, you'll get it all worked out, good luck.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:39 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by rvnkontum
I'll try pushing the center down next time I give it a go, mine is also the Clark's Shield. When you say keep all fairing screws loose do you mean "all", four on inside fairing, and three on outside? I'm going to call my dealer tomorrow and see if I can bring the bike in and have him show me exactly how to deal with this. I've only had this bike for three or four weeks now and I don't want to get impatient and do something stupid.
Yes, the 4 fairing screws and the 3 windshield screws....

Old 02-24-2010, 07:54 AM
electra glide
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I often have to sort of angle the driver up, feels as if I'm pushing the screw upward at the beginning and it then thhreads in straight and tight, otherwise if I just go at it as you would think, it does what you're saying. I also loosen the other 2 screws, and tighten them after I've got the middlw one in.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:37 AM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the center internal nut is messed up, HD makes a replacement thats alot better than the originals. 16585-96 might be the new part #

Old 02-24-2010, 08:37 AM
Bogart
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same thing happened to me and my screw was crossthreaded ran a tap into the nut and all is well

Old 02-24-2010, 09:15 AM
rvnkontum
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
Yes, the 4 fairing screws and the 3 windshield screws....

DONE! Thanks for all the great suggestions, it was as many of you said. I went over to HD and asked them to "show me", guy loosened the 3 screws outer fairing (removed center screw), loosened 4 screws inner fairing, outer fairing shifted down giving a clear shot to the nut and right in! Took three or four minutes and now I know what to do, how to do it. He said it shouldn't happen again, but if it does, simple to resolve. I don't have a lot
(read,any) mechanical experience and was afraid I was going to wind up with two halves of a hamburger roll (my fairing) in my garage. Thanks again, one step (one screw) at a time.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:52 AM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are a bit tricky to do the first time. They always give me a little trouble but as mentioned; patience pays off.

Quick Reply: Need help with center screw on fairing