Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing chrome hand control componets on an Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 03:16 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Installing chrome hand control componets on an Ultra

Has anyone installed all chrome switch covers, button, clutch and brake controls and levers? What all is involved and is this something the service department should be doing? I don't plan on replacing any hoses or cables.

The dealer service department quote 4 hours labor. I've never done this but 4 hour sound like a bit much.

Old 02-22-2010, 03:55 PM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bikes
The dealer service department quote 4 hours labor. I've never done this but 4 hour sound like a bit much.
Well, you have to give them time to eat donuts, use the restroom, get smoke breaks, hide each other's tools, etc

If you don't like the quote, did you try other HD dealers...or better yet, some of the indys in your area that will appreciate the business?

Old 02-22-2010, 05:10 PM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm. 4 hours. probably a bit high. did mine myself on both bikes. just have to take your time and be careful, especially with the switches into the new housings. you can do it yourself. get a HD maintenance manual, and take your time.

if you're not up to a challenge, probably bite the bullet and let the dealer do it.

Old 02-22-2010, 05:53 PM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you're going to spend the coin on chrome housings on both handlebars consider the hydraulic clutch kit. Harley only offers it in chrome now, so if you're going to change anyway why not get a better clutch too?!

Old 02-22-2010, 05:54 PM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Time is not all that far off considering. That being said, thier time is what each item takes to do if it was done by itself.. By doing several things at once, thier ACTUAL time will be less, but you will pay for the time listed in the book.

Reality, if you have any mechanical apptitude at all, the job isn't all that hard. Get a service manual, take your time, and follow the instructions on the new parts. The switch caps can be a pain, only because it would be easy to break your new ones if you rush.

Housings aren't all that bad, just 3-4 screws inside, and thats not all bad. Clutch and brake controls and levers aren't too bad, but you will need a set of ring pliers to remove the levers. Otherwise, the actual job took me a little over 2 1/2 hours when I did it yesterday on the wifes Deluxe after I added the Cruise control to it..

Take your time, and simply don't rush.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:11 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinks
If you're going to spend the coin on chrome housings on both handlebars consider the hydraulic clutch kit. Harley only offers it in chrome now, so if you're going to change anyway why not get a better clutch too?!
I called Lake Shore Harley Davidson and they told me there was no kit for a hydraulic clutch. The only one available is that for a Screamin' Eagle and that would have to pieced together.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:29 AM
FXSTS-88
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A quick tip on installing chrome switch caps:
Get the switches nice and warm. Heat up your garage to a 'sweat lodge' temperature!
Keep the caps in the house until you are ready to install them.
I warmed mine in the oven.
The colder the 'plastic', the easier it will crack or break.
Actual 'work' isn't all that difficult.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:49 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bikes
I called Lake Shore Harley Davidson and they told me there was no kit for a hydraulic clutch. The only one available is that for a Screamin' Eagle and that would have to pieced together.
Doesn't surprise me. When I started mine they had just discontinued the black kits, & I didn't want chrome so I had to piece mine together. Every parts man I talked to *assured* me that the switch I needed for the lockout feature was either the same as the stock one, or didn't exist. It took one of the posters here to come up with the correct part number.

I haven't looked at a current parts catalog lately, but if you're interested in a hydraulic clutch you might want to look at one. Of course usin' the parts from a Screamin' Eagle is just as good. You need the master cylinder & perch, clutch lever, hydraulic line, transmission end cover, & pushrod kit with the plate that replaces the adjuster. Not complicated, & it ends ever havin' to adjust a clutch again.

Actually, if you're interested I could send you the parts list.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:26 AM
Jonny Cannon
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The switch housings are easy. Don't buy the Kury ones; they don't have enough of a "raceway" cut out on the inside for your wiring - it will crush it. Buy the HD ones.

Don't forget to order chrome screws, too, because the HD kits don't come with any. What_a_surprise_they're_extra.

When you're pulling out the studs that hold on your levers, hang a towel or something over them to catch the circlip when it ricochets off your circlip pliers. That way it won't go off to parts unknown.

Installing chrome switches isn't too hard. the instructions say to use a screwdriver to pull the old ones off their mounting studs. Don't use a screwdriver to install the new chrome ones; the black ones are flexible; the chrome ones are not.

Installing the chrome switches are a PITA for the radio/cruise controls. You kind of have to install all the guts at once to put things back in. I found using a pair of needlenose pliers to hold the ends of the switches protruding through the housings helps hold things in place. A magnetic scredriver is a big asset also, for when you're trying to install the little screw inside your controls to hold everything down.

Just time and patience.

Cannon

Old 07-11-2013, 11:55 AM
nomad nomlaki
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All handle bars are not created equal or are the non- HD control switches. I opted to use the Custo Chro wiring kits and handle bar housings. Oops, sorry I have no 13th letter of alphabet?) Before installing you can assure the housings have enough clearance for wires by using a file or rotary tool grinder to enlarge wire outlet in housing so there is no pinching of wires which causes shorts. When/if soldering switch wires try not to leave any excess solder and flux. (Be sure to put on heat shrink tubes before soldering wires.) Another thing is to get the brake switch placed just right or it wont function to activate stop light when applying front brake or rear braking. I have a 2007 FXDB Dyna with chubby T bars. I opted not to run the wires thru the bars and ran on outside bars with the wires in nylon cable sheathing and securing with zip ties.
It took about 2 hrs to do the replacement of both switch housings and wires as I soldered into old wires out of connectors...

Quick Reply: Installing chrome hand control componets on an Ultra