Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather Pants vs Chaps

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 03:09 PM
StanfordMan
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leather Pants vs Chaps

I recently made a post asking about the Harley-Davidson FXRG Overpants. The responses were that the pants are very well made; but they would be too hot to wear in the summer. I have never worn chaps, but I would assume that they could be too warm to wear in hot weather too. Can anyone comment about the Harley leather overpants versus chaps in terms of comfort in warmer weather? Thanks.

Old 02-22-2010, 03:21 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by StanfordMan
I recently made a post asking about the Harley-Davidson FXRG Overpants. The responses were that the pants are very well made; but they would be too hot to wear in the summer. I have never worn chaps, but I would assume that they could be too warm to wear in hot weather too. Can anyone comment about the Harley leather overpants versus chaps in terms of comfort in warmer weather? Thanks.
Generally speaking I'd always go pants over chaps for a safely standpoint (sliding down the road on your *** chaps aren't going to do much for you).

In general leather breaths pretty well.

Another point that's interesting but I don't know how seriously to take it - I have a good friend who had an accident a while back wearing a bunch of synthetic/kevlar gear and the EMTs that attended him told him he was fortunate they didn't have to try to separate melted plastic from his skin . . . I've never heard of that problem but it made me stop and think.

Old 02-22-2010, 03:21 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

What's the reason for the pants, protection or something to cover dress pants on the way to work?

Old 02-22-2010, 03:39 PM
ybnorml
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,086 Likes on 11,627 Posts

Chaps over my denim jeans while I'm riding....then once
I reach my destination I remove my chaps and put away in saddlebag.
On cold days I'll wear flannel lined jeans under my chaps....

To each their own.......

Old 02-22-2010, 03:39 PM
Gofer
Cruiser

I like chaps because I can take them off when I get to where I'm going. Not sure the surrounding public would appreciate me taking my leather pants off!

Old 02-22-2010, 03:43 PM
StanfordMan
Tourer

I am looking to get the leather pants for protection. I know that both overpants and chaps provide warmth in cold weather; but frankly, living in southern California my legs rarely get cold riding. So I really am looking to get the pants or chaps for added protection. I'm not a big fan of how the chaps look on me; and the point about your rearend not being protected in the even you have an accident is a good one. I recently tried on some chaps at the dealership, and my girlfriend said that the way my jeans bunched up in back, it looked like I was wearing a full diaper. It seems to me that the overpants, while more expensive than chaps, is the better way to go. More protection; better fit; and just as easy to get off, since they have side zippers. The only thing that has been holding me back is whether they are significantly more warm than chaps. If guys don't think so, then I think I'll go with them. I certainly see a lot of people wearing chaps all year long.

Old 02-22-2010, 03:45 PM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Chaps aren't bad for summers, unless you live in Phoenix. A pair of light chaps are not bad to wear in the warmth of the hotter months.

Old 02-22-2010, 03:45 PM
scottdoege
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Both... plus mesh overpants!!!

I have a pair of tourmaster leather overpants that I wear when it's cold outside. Love them, but too hot for summer.

Last summer I purchased a pair of chaps for summer riding when it's hot outside. Down side, if I get caught in the rain, it looks like I've wet my pants.

Finally, I just purchased a pair of tourmaster mesh overpants for riding to work over my dress pants. This will provide protection and keep my dress pants from geting dirty. I thought it would look funny wearing chaps over dress pants.

Just my two cents....

Old 02-22-2010, 03:54 PM
jacknthebox
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I can't speak for the HD pants but I own a pair of Shift Havoc pants that are leather and textile - they offer very good protection with the knee pads and thick leather in all the right places, they fit nice, look great, and are cool even in the summer heat. I would think the HD pants would be comparable to my Shift Havics as far as being very tolerable in the summer. I prefer the all-over protection of pants over chaps.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:05 PM
lock55
Cruiser

I got leather bib overalls for xmas from my wife. I like them. For now I am wearing them over my levis. In the summer i will try just wearing shorts under them. Still might be too hot. They have zippers up the legs so they are easy to get in and out of. Has anyone checked out the clothes at Duluth Trading Company? They sell some pretty heavy duty pants and jackets. http://www.duluthtrading.com/

Quick Reply: Leather Pants vs Chaps