Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather Pants vs Chaps

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 06:13 PM
Jeff Quinn
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nytryder
+1 Around here it's just too hot for either most of the time.
Are you saying +1 that my *** looks good in chaps, or that it is too hot to wear them in Summer?

Old 02-22-2010, 06:22 PM
mattman22033
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have these:

http://www.stonelakeleatherworks.com/bibs.htm

Worth every penny.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:16 PM
bookworm
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

So, Standford man, it sounds to me like you would like to buy the FXRG leather overpants, but are worried that they would be too hot for summer riding. Yet you still want excellent abrasion protection should the worst happen. Is that correct?

For what it's worth, my wife and I wear the FXRG leather overpants whenever we ride, regardless of the temperature, and have done so for the past three years. We just wear lightweight synthetic slacks under them when it is really hot - but nothing cotton! Jeans are fine when the weather cools a bit.

There are times when they get a bit warm if the traffic is stop and go, but otherwise when we are moving they really aren't uncomfortable at all. We have found that when sitting at a light, we actually are protected from the engine and pavement heat by the leather. This seems to run counter to the prevailing opinions that have been expressed, but it's true. I hear people complaining about fried thighs all the time and yet, we have never experienced that. In fact, there was an article a few years back in one of the HOG magazines on the HD proving grounds in AZ. The test rider they quoted wears leather pants and wool socks for that very reason - it protects him from the reflected ground heat and engine heat.

We do go with a lighter HD jacket when it is above 80-85 deg. that is synthetic and has some mesh panels along with armor in the elbows and shoulders. And, we will unzip the side zipper on the pants from the top about 6" to let air move up through the pant legs.

Don't know if that helps, but we wear all the gear all the time. And, we really don't care what others think. We love to ride, but we value our hide.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:25 PM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

I wear chaps. They do look funny with dress pants, but I'm not too concerned about the 1 or 2 people who might see me as I walk into the office, and nobody can tell while I'm riding. In the summer, when it's hot, I'll wear shorts underneath the chaps. I can just slip them off when we stop -- though I'm sure I look like a dork in my boots and shorts.

As the previous poster said, I care more about my hide than what people at a rest stop might think.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:54 PM
StanfordMan
Tourer

Bookworm--Thanks for your comments. I have decided to get the FXRG Leather Overpants. First off, I am extremely impressed and please with the FXRG leather jacket and the FXRG 3 Boots that I have. I have wanted to get something for protection for my legs and backside, but I'm not a big fan of the chaps. My only concern about the FXRG Overpants was the possible heat in very warm weather. But for all the reasons you state, I'm going for those pants.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:55 PM
gilbos440rt
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got some leather overpants from leather up..wasn't but $59, very thick leather and easy on and off. They are lined and warm in the winter so I don't think they would be good in the summer. but for the money great pants!

I did order them larger than I wear based on the reviews, I'd order two waist sizes over you normal size at the min. I went with a 44" I wear a 38" and it was perfect over my blue jeans.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:23 AM
SUNNYgrl
Stage I
Thumbs up Leather pants whoopass over chaps!!

I rode in chaps for years since that's what my husband had and always hated them - they're a pain in the *** (for females, anyway), not to mention my crotch was wet when raining as well as my *** unprotected if I hit the ground. I always felt sloppy in them, too - I just didn't know any better! Finally bought a pair of leather pants last year and omg, what a difference! SO comfortable, so easy going to the bathroom (we take looong trips) and I can wear them without feeling like a gangsta. I wear with long underwear if it's cold. I've lost wt and can now wear jeans under the pair I bought but last summer I just wore the pants on our 3 week trip to the Canadian Rockies and was just fine. LOVE THEM. Weather protection is great, comfort is superb. Do not waste your money on chaps! Find some nice leather pants that fit and make life easy! XPERT performance is the brand I have (no, I don't work for them). ENJOY!

Old 06-23-2012, 06:32 AM
SUPRPIG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gofer
I like chaps because I can take them off when I get to where I'm going. Not sure the surrounding public would appreciate me taking my leather pants off!
Now that's funny... and I agree!

Old 06-23-2012, 06:49 AM
icepick
Cruiser

Hey, I agree with SUNNYgrl. Chaps are a pain in the *** and even if not wet, your boys will get cold. I too bought a good fitting pair of leather pants. cut like like jeans. bought them years ago for about 80 bucks. They are very comfortable to ride in and roomy enough that I can wear insulated underwear under them when very cold. I generally prefer just jeans down here in the deep south in the summer, but have worn my leather pants when it has been in the low 80s and they are not that uncomfortable because like mentioned by others, they keep a lot of engine and road heat from getting to you. Besides, chaps make it hard to get to your pockets.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:50 AM
sargek
Road Warrior

Here in San Antonio leather is too hot to wear at all, at least for me. I wear chaps in winter (November-February) but never any other time unless the temps in the morning are at or below 50. I don't like leather pants but I see the protection advantages, to each his/her own really. Chaps I can easily take off while pants I can't, unless they are overpants.

Quick Reply: Leather Pants vs Chaps