Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tour Pak Back Rest Opions

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 03:03 PM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Tour Pak Back Rest Opions

I currently have one of the cheap plastic tour packs on my Road King. I have picked up a HD King Tour Pack and it is in the paint shop right now and should get it back this weekend.

The tour pack I have is the one with the light bar running accross the back and the lower side marker lights. It has the three holes on each front side to mount the speaker pods which may happen way down the road, for now I'm just going to cap the holes.

Now to my Question.

I think the tour pack will look funny without the speaker pods with the full tour pack back rest.

I'm think of putting one of the chopped style back rest on it.

Looking for thoughts on this or someone that has done the same.

Thanks all.

Old 02-22-2010, 03:09 PM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A. Can't look any worse than that POS you have on there now (Just fuggin' wit cha)

B. If the covers match, it wont hardly be noticable, especially since the seatback has a lower pad.

C. You can buy either dummy pods, or real ones on Ebay for $125 a set. (I'd buy the real ones and cap those somehow, so when you go to install speakers, you're ahead of the game.

Old 02-22-2010, 03:43 PM
Scubamike
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

If you look at any Electraglide Classic or even the majority of Streetglides with tour paks mine included on them they do not have the rear speaker pods so if you think that looks goofy then like the previous poster stated to buy the speaker pod blanks and install the speakers at a later date JMHO.

Old 02-22-2010, 03:59 PM
Jeff Quinn
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks fine to me. Looks even better with a seat.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:31 PM
twodollarbill
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jimsflh
A. Can't look any worse than that POS you have on there now (Just fuggin' wit cha)

B. If the covers match, it wont hardly be noticable, especially since the seatback has a lower pad.

C. You can buy either dummy pods, or real ones on Ebay for $125 a set. (I'd buy the real ones and cap those somehow, so when you go to install speakers, you're ahead of the game.
Someone makes dummy pods.......must be the Chinese

Old 02-22-2010, 04:47 PM
Navy Mustang
Road Master
Received 313 Likes on 121 Posts

Don't need the spkr pods, just go with the wrap around back rest. It'll look fine. But personally, I'd be afraid of the chinese TP. To each his own, but in the end, you always get what you pay for...

Old 02-22-2010, 04:48 PM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

King tour pac with chopped tour pac back rest. It's what my wife wanted, & I like the look. YMMV..........

Attached Thumbnails Tour Pak Back Rest Opions-dsc01288.jpg  
Old 02-22-2010, 06:29 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

With the chopped back rest, you will have an additional two holes per side in the lid to cap/fill; those are used for the mounting holes for the regular backrest just above where the speaker pods would mount.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:42 PM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm thinking on converting to the chopped tour pac backrest too.I'm planning on using chrome button head allen bolts in the holes.Hopefully I can live with that.
Does the chopped backrest have the flap attached to it,or is the flap a separate piece?How many holes need to be drilled?
thanks.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:44 PM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Don't need the spkr pods, just go with the wrap around back rest. It'll look fine. But personally, I'd be afraid of the chinese TP. To each his own, but in the end, you always get what you pay for...
I've had the e-bay tour pack for 8 months and othe than a rattle it has done what I purchased it for.

With the chopped back rest, you will have an additional two holes per side in the lid to cap/fill
The tour pack lid has not been drilled for any back rest, so what ever I put on it, it will be the first.

Thanks for all your input, given that the tour pack will only be used for trips I guess I will go with the full back rest. The one I'm looking at is HD Pn. 52274-94A. it's the one with HD "V" logo on the back or the smooth back rest.

Quick Reply: Tour Pak Back Rest Opions