Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Have Created A Monster!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 02:51 PM
Our07Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up I Have Created A Monster!

Over the past year, my wife has been my co-pilot for over 12k miles on our Ultra. We have traveled all over Florida, Georgia, S Caroline, Tennessee, BRP and the Dragon twice. Our usual destinations are festivals, biker rallies, flea/antique stores, bluegrass, frog leg, watermellon, blueberry festivals and the list goes on. Some have been quite entertaining. Pigs on the Pond (BBQ competeition) in Cleremont Florida was awesome!
Cindy has never toured the open road on a motorcycle until we met. She has however, heard stories from my riding friends and seen pictures of various bikes I have owned over the past 30 years. The stories Im sure she could do without hearing but she is truly a sport. Within a couple of rides, she melted into the bike almost to where it seemed I was riding solo sometimes. She learned and adapted so fast it was scary!

Over the past couple of months she started commenting on how fun it would be for her to have her own bike so that we could ride together on small 150+/- mile day trips, Daytona Bike week, Biketoberfest etc, festivals etc. She has ridden dirt bikes for years growing up and has the technical skills down for a dirt rider.

Well, we did it. Her birthday is this Wednesday. We decided on a 2007 883L as she is only 5'3". We looked at several bikes, spent countless hours on internet such as Craigslist, Ebay even found one here in the classifieds if you remember the post a few weeks ago. We even went to dealers to sit on bikes as recommended by several members here at HDF. She is in the 1st day of her MSF course as I write this and will complete it tomorrow.

Having not ever ridden "street bikes", our logic was to start small and see where it goes from there. Maybe in a year she will want Softail or even an RK. With the 2007 883L we were able to get in it fairly inexpensively. Should she decide it is not for her and wants to be my 2upper again..no problem. We picked up her bike last Wednesday. 2500 miles, one owner, garage kept, spotless! The only thing I have added was a black engine guard. The previous owner put the HD saddlebags on, a Dannt Gray solo seat, V&H slip ons, HD forward controls and a detatchable Memphis shade. All service records provided. $4700 ...sold and rode it home that night while she followed in the car. Been a while since I was on a sporty doing 70 on I95!. Just a little diferent than the Ultra!

I will truly miss her riding 2 up with me for she has been an awesome rider and touring partner! Could not have had any better! Always ready to go, rain, shine or drizzle on the Dragon, long or short haul, never complained, always smiling while holding on to a fresh cup of coffee with plenty more in the thermos. (Not the Starbucks crap...) I am happy that she has decided to ride her own now and cant wait until our first trip together side by side.

Im sure that she will still ride 2up on the Ultra on ocasions...but man I am gonna miss her.

I will post some more pictures once we get our first ride in.

The picture below is her riding it for the first time in the church parking lot for about 30 minutes. She was like a kid in the candy store!!

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I gave her an Angel bell but as with all new riders, prayers are welcome!!

Jim and Cindy
Ride safe.

Here are the pics.
This was her first ride. She did great but was nervous/tense about dropping the bike. She will overcome this issue.

Here is a pic of the bike.

Now we need a bigger garage!

Old 02-22-2010, 02:55 PM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member
Received 424 Likes on 255 Posts

Gratz...my wife enjoys riding too; though she talks about making the "jump" to her own bike, hse just hasn't done it yet.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:57 PM
Omahaaviator
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hu-Rahhhhh, I hope my wife would get the same itch. Congrats from cold Nebraska!!!

Old 02-22-2010, 04:01 PM
curlydee
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Good deal , I hope she takes to it like a duck to water. Good luck and Happy trails

Old 02-22-2010, 04:06 PM
harley-jones
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Tell her I said to enjoy her new ride, be safe, and have lot of fun!

Old 02-22-2010, 04:26 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

Awesome! Enjoy the open roads together making memories that even time can't take away.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:40 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Congrat's Jim, My wife has been riding behind me almost 18 month's. She talks about taking the MSF and getting her own bike. She wants a Springer Softtail for her first bike. $$$$$. Good luck to you both, Ride Safe!

Old 02-22-2010, 05:06 PM
bwana1
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Get an engine guard. There is going to be a low speed or non moving drop. That engine guard will more than pay for itself the first time,

Bwana

Old 02-22-2010, 05:20 PM
georgemcghee
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my wife says she will never ride on the back again since she has been riding her own

Old 02-22-2010, 06:09 PM
justanotherjim
Road Master

Location: kingman AZ. We aren't in hell, but you can see it from here!!!
Received 62 Likes on 21 Posts

Congrats to you guys!!

Quick Reply: I Have Created A Monster!