Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Have Created A Monster!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 07:32 PM
dwg1956
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know where your coming from man. Got my better half a 2003 Sportster 1200 in December 2009 and can't keep her off of it. She won't even let me ride it. Guess I'll have to stick with my 08 Ultra.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:54 PM
foush56
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a few months after I got my 08 Ultra my wife wanted her own bike so we got a 750 Honda and she rode it everywhere. 8 months later she wanted something bigger so she could keep up better, so we got a 900 Yamaha. She put about 8000 miles on it last year, handled a rear tire going flat at 80 mph and rides on her own alot! Last July we rode 1000 miles on one trip and planning another this summer!

Old 02-22-2010, 08:13 PM
malteseyo
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats to your wife, that's a good looking bike! Good luck to her on the MSF course. Be sure that she registers here and comes to the Queen of the Road forum and introduces herself.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:43 PM
oldbagr
Road Master

You are a very lucky man! That little 883 looks new and will be a great scoot for her to learn on; congrats to both of you. You may want to get a Scala headset for both of you so that you can communicate with each other when riding together.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:52 PM
SniperCJ
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats awesome! Your stress level will go up worrying about her, but there's nothing like riding with your woman!

Old 02-22-2010, 09:06 PM
albatross
Road Warrior
Received 296 Likes on 216 Posts

Went through exactly the same thing except we got her a 1200L for a first bike. Last year finally got her to ride a Dyna and she fell in love-says it's way easier to ride and handle. Enjoy yourselves and ride safe-I still miss having her on the back and I worry a lot more when we're riding but she's havin' a blast!

Old 02-22-2010, 09:08 PM
flhxkiller
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Congrats on the new riding partner. Couple years back mine decided she wanted to try riding her own, she hasn't been on the back of mine since. My advise is really for you, the next few years are gonna get interesting. Had alot of friends go thru this with their sig others and what you do will determine if she rides that new bike or it becomes a bar hopper for you.First put her in a MSF course and let someone else teach her the basics, she'll listen better to an instructor than she ever will to you. Your patience will be tested this summer I'll guarantee that, but you've got to remember to never lose your temper or yell at her. Take her out somewhere she can ride at her pace and ride at that pace, not what you feel is the right pace. This was the hardest part for me, and most of us who have been riding for a long time. Spent the whole first summer with my wife riding looking in my mirror watching her gain confidence in the twisties, slowly gaining speed thru them. Whenever we'de stop, she would always say that she was sorry that she was holding me up, or something to that effect. If she ever mentioned she didn't feel comfortable doing something, I'd make sure the next part of our ride would include having to do that at least a few times. my point is get her out as much as you can and be patient and you'll be riding with her for years to come.. good luck to both of you

Old 02-23-2010, 08:38 AM
Our07Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the great input you folks have provided. I did put a gloss black engine guard and an Angel Bell on the bike for her.
She is at her last day of the MSF course today. She is excited about getting her endorsement this afternoon at the DMV and then going for a small ride around the neighborhood.

I,m sure she will register here and become an addict as I have become. She has been reading over my shoulder for a while now. The wealth of information here is unbelievable! I have shown her the various sections and am sure she will be on in no time.
Again thanks for the comments.
For those riding down to Daytona for bike week ...please be safe and have a great trip!!

Old 02-23-2010, 08:46 AM
remike
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats,

The bike looks great and it fits her perfectly.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:58 AM
RKCUSTOMBUD
Cruiser

First of all, Congratulations, hope all goes well. Now, for some, this may be a very superficial question, but I am curious, how old are you and your wife ? I'm 58, my wife is 59. Just asking, Jim.

Quick Reply: I Have Created A Monster!