Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

got my homemade tire changer and bead breaker done, finally!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 02:50 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,244 Likes on 1,851 Posts
Default got my homemade tire changer and bead breaker done, finally!

For the bead breaker I semi-copied Dave's idea (owner of the no-scufftire tool that I bought) who had pics/video on his site of his. I lag bolted a 2x4 on top of the sheetrock to 3 2x4 studs in the wall. Then I lag bolted two strong/thick L brackets to that. Between the L brackets I attached a long piece of black iron pipe by drilling holes in the pipe and running a trailer hitch pin/clip through it. From that pipe I attached a straight bracket on each side and I hung some smaller pipe and fittings and welded a flat piece onto the end. I attached a piece of UHMW plastic and beveled the bottom edge to protect the rim should it come in contact with it. I then placed a wooden square made of 2x4's to put the tire on and then viola! Levered down the big bar and the bead breaker attachment swiveling from a T fitting broke the bead free from the rim.

Attached Thumbnails got my homemade tire changer and bead breaker done, finally!-100_1778.jpg   got my homemade tire changer and bead breaker done, finally!-100_1777.jpg   got my homemade tire changer and bead breaker done, finally!-100_1779.jpg   got my homemade tire changer and bead breaker done, finally!-100_1781.jpg  
Old 02-22-2010, 02:50 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,244 Likes on 1,851 Posts

For the tire changer, I took two old car rims and welded them to some large diameter black iron pipe. The bottom rim got bolted to the concrete floor by way of a couple of drop in anchors after being drilled (this allows it to be removed with nothing left on the floor except the anchors down in the concrete). The pipe was welded to the rims by using large washers on each end of the pipe and welded to the rims. I then took a smaller piece of black pipe and used a piece of angle iron with hole cut out to slide the pipe in. All this was welded to the rim. This acts as a stop in the spokes so the wheel cannot move when demounting/mounting tire. This way there is no need to otherwise secure the tire to the changer. On top of the changer I used a 3/4" large piece of thread rod welded and coming up and out of the top rim. Slide the tire down the rod and ensure that the small piece of pipe butts up against a spoke. Slide a piece of PVC pipe over the rod to protect the rod and the demount/mount tool. Then viola! I used my new no-scufftire tool and it all worked slicker than chit! Tires will be here Wed so I can try the mounting procedure with the changer. I still have to attach either rubber tubing around the top of the rim or put on about 4 rim protectors instead of the tubing. I'm also going to put some protective rubber tubing on the wheel stop.

Attached Thumbnails got my homemade tire changer and bead breaker done, finally!-100_1773.jpg   got my homemade tire changer and bead breaker done, finally!-100_1774.jpg   got my homemade tire changer and bead breaker done, finally!-100_1775.jpg   got my homemade tire changer and bead breaker done, finally!-100_1776.jpg   got my homemade tire changer and bead breaker done, finally!-100_1783.jpg  

Last edited by dawg; 02-22-2010 at 03:02 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:31 PM
Baffler1
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice job dawg!

Old 02-22-2010, 03:47 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Sweet, who's gonna be the first to get their tires changed on it?!

Old 02-22-2010, 03:50 PM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is an Uncle Scrooge Seal of Approval winner for sure!

Old 02-22-2010, 04:01 PM
harley-jones
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the write up Dawg. I love homemade project. Good job!

Old 02-22-2010, 04:30 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

Amazing. Do you EVER sleep? Nice job! Gonna save some moola with that!

Old 02-22-2010, 04:38 PM
twodollarbill
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks Good Dawg!!!!
Changing a tire is the number one job that I don't like to do.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:45 PM
dontdropit
Stellar HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

good job dawg. someday i may tackle making something like that. thanks for the pics

Old 02-22-2010, 04:53 PM
Navy Mustang
Road Master
Received 313 Likes on 121 Posts

Hey Dawg, great work! A true money saver for sure.

Question for you: "How are you planning to balance the new tires?"

Quick Reply: got my homemade tire changer and bead breaker done, finally!