Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang vs. Sundowner seats

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010 | 10:56 AM
razoraggie
|
Advanced
Default Mustang vs. Sundowner seats

Howdy,

I currently have the Sundowner deep bucket two place seat on my Road King and have enjoyed it, mostly. It just seems to have a lot of structural give and wasn't aligned well from the factory. I had a Mustang seat on my last metric and was really impressed with the build quality and comfort of the seat. I'm really thinking about purchasing a Mustang seat built for the Road King Custom because of that experience. Does anyone that's tried both have an opinion on these two seats?

Thanks,

Old 02-22-2010 | 11:19 AM
leeinmemphis
Road Warrior

I had a mustang on my Ultra when I left for Sturgis last year. By the time I got home I was ready to throw that POS in the garbage. I had a sundowner and found it much more comfortable and now have a russell day long seat that is better than all of them. If I had it to do over again I would have kept the sundowner and been happy with it.

Old 02-22-2010 | 11:26 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member

After about 500 miles I didn't like the Sundowner solo seat for my Road King Classic. I sold it and bought a Mustang solo seat and backrest that was more firm and a very good choice for comfort and reaching the ground better for me. I don't know the differences in the 2 up seats.

Old 02-22-2010 | 11:57 AM
timvan
Road Warrior

Every *** is different...

some like support, some have the extra padding already built in

Your mileage may vary, but I love my Mustang post break in. Before the break in on way home from Daytona, I felt like leeinmemphis. They take some time to break in, more than just 500 miles as they say. Ive since sold my hd seats.

Old 02-22-2010 | 12:43 PM
Scarz
Road Master

I've never owned a Sundowner, but I know I've been so happy with my Mustang seat that I would never think about replacing it for any other brand.

Old 02-22-2010 | 12:53 PM
michaelm
Tourer

I asked this same question over on the CVO forum. 100% of those who had both said go with the Mustang.

Old 02-22-2010 | 12:56 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member

How tall are you and what is your inseam? I'd be afraid the Mustang would move me forward and up. I have a Sundowner now and I'm 6'2 with a 34" inseam.

Originally Posted by Scarz
I've never owned a Sundowner, but I know I've been so happy with my Mustang seat that I would never think about replacing it for any other brand.

Old 02-22-2010 | 01:11 PM
Vatorman
Tourer

I love my Mustang.

Old 02-22-2010 | 01:18 PM
SG 1
Road Warrior

Had a Mustang 2 piece, didn't like it, hurt my thighs at the edge of the seat. So I got a 1 piece touring seat. Really the only problem with it was it sat up way to high, changed the center of gravity enough to affect handling. So I got the Sundowner, best of the three for me. It sits the lowest of them all and is most comfortable for me. Only problem now is I could really use a shorter shield.

Old 02-22-2010 | 02:10 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member

I have been thinking about trying a mustang out. I currently have the sun-downer on. around town and shorter rides it's a great seat but I find it a little on the soft side and you can't really move around in it much when your on long trips.

Quick Reply: Mustang vs. Sundowner seats