Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang vs. Sundowner seats

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010 | 12:33 PM
cbrenthus
Stellar HDF Member

All I know is that I don't get an annoying Gordon Lightfoot song stuck in my head every time someone mentions the Mustang

Old 02-23-2010 | 01:39 PM
bldap
Tourer

Originally Posted by razoraggie
Thanks all for your responses. I'm 6'1 / 240 lbs with a 34" inseam, so I'm thinking either Mustang or Sundowner would be okay, since I'm riding the lowered Road King Custom model. I've just been impressed with Mustang build quality, including the fact that they put rubber feet on the bike contact points, where Harley just allows the plastic to sit on the painted fender (!). I'll probably give the Mustang a try and see how I like it. I may have a Sundowner for sale later this week if I like it better.
Have you ever looked at the HD TallBoy seat?

Old 02-23-2010 | 04:00 PM
tgshoe
Road Captain

Have a Sundowner on the way to replace my stock Street Glide seat. We will see how it feels.

Old 02-23-2010 | 04:23 PM
HarleypsychRN
Road Master

I bought a Sundowner and have been happy with it 35,000 miles now. I have a friend who had one and replaced it with a Mustang...go figure. It comes down to personal preference.

Old 02-23-2010 | 07:52 PM
EdwardK
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by jcain
I can say though that it is wider near the tank so it can affect planting your feet at stops. I'm 6'1" with a 32" inseam and this not an issue but could be. The Passenger seat is one of the wider ones I've seen.
Mustang seats are wider at the tank but that is because they are a touring saddle. They are made to support more of your leg and thigh while riding down the road. Hopefully we spend more time riding then sitting at lights.

Mustang seats do take a little breaking in but then they are very comfortable. I haven't had a seat yet made by the MOCO ( I've had several ) that was comfortable on the long haul. The wife does like her wide back seat

Seats are a matter of preference so you'll have to find the brand or model that works for your butt best.

Old 02-25-2010 | 03:51 PM
GypsyBlues
Stage I

Originally Posted by ww1flyingace
I think the Sundowner is one of the better HD seats. Having said that, I prefer the Mustang.

For your year of bike, the passenger section of the Sundowner is not very big. (they made it 2" wider in 08) if that is of concern to you.

Some information you may find useful:

http://home.comcast.net/~kceder/seats/seats.html
I saw this page a year ago in some thread. when the time came I wanted to make a decision I could'nt find it again! So I went with the Mustang Solo from what I remembered, and after a 2300 mile ride I am very happy with the decision. I actually got home and went on a 100 mile ride the day after. Just remember that every butt is different. Trial and error can be very expensive so this webpage helped alot.

Old 02-25-2010 | 04:32 PM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior

I got my Road King the day before we set out on a 9 day, 2300 mile ride. Halfway through the ride, I knew I was going to be replacing the seat. When I got home I did a lot of research on this forum and elsewhere. I e-mail Mean City about modifying my seat. Their recommendation was to go with the Sundowner. The stock seat was, they said, junk and they really couldn't do much with it to make it comfortable. I asked about Corbin and Mustang and their recommendation was the Sundowner so I went with it.

I've been happy with the seat, but haven't made any really long rides yet. Just a couple hundred miles a few times. I am planning to get a bead rider, not because I've been uncomfortable on the Sundowner, but because I think the bead concept is likely to allow for longer comfortable rides.

I did have both a Mustang and a Corbin seat on my previous Dyna. I thought the Mustang was better looking, but the Corbin more comfortable.

Old 02-25-2010 | 05:18 PM
RK 888
Intermediate

I replaced the seat on my '09 FLHR with a Mustang single. It took awhile to break in, but now, I wouldn't ride without it.

Old 02-25-2010 | 05:31 PM
bldap
Tourer

Originally Posted by GypsyBlues
I saw this page a year ago in some thread. when the time came I wanted to make a decision I could'nt find it again! So I went with the Mustang Solo from what I remembered, and after a 2300 mile ride I am very happy with the decision. I actually got home and went on a 100 mile ride the day after. Just remember that every butt is different. Trial and error can be very expensive so this webpage helped alot.
Thanks GyspsyBlues for this link! As we all know the trial and error approach can be very expensive as you mentioned. I found these measurements to be very enlightening and helpful.

Thanks again!

Old 02-25-2010 | 05:35 PM
jsimo7
Road Master

I've had Sundowner, Corbin and Mustang. I liked the Corbin solo but didn't like the Corbin 2up and the sundowner was OK but kinda soft. The Mustang solo and 2up has worked out best for us.

Quick Reply: Mustang vs. Sundowner seats