Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang vs. Sundowner seats

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010 | 02:18 PM
jcain
Cruiser

I started with the factory seat on my Roadie but really was not comfortable for longer duration rides. Went with a Sundowner Deep bucket and was much more comfortable bot the OL said the passenger seat was too firm. I went on the hunt and found Mustang seats were highly rated for rider and passenger. I found on in the classifieds here, bought it last year about this time and rode with it all last season. Very comfortable for both rider and passenger. I can say though that it is wider near the tank so it can affect planting your feet at stops. I'm 6'1" with a 32" inseam and this not an issue but could be. The Passenger seat is one of the wider ones I've seen.

In short, I'm quite pleased with the seat thus far and looking forward to putting many more miles on it.

Old 02-22-2010 | 03:55 PM
sparky_mo
Club Member

i'm only 5'9 but really like the mustang. with boots on have no problems getting both feet on the ground. wife likes it a lot better than other seats i've tried. she is tall and she doesn't sit up so high with the mustang one piece touring model. also can't beat the look.

Old 02-22-2010 | 10:58 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member

I think the Sundowner is one of the better HD seats. Having said that, I prefer the Mustang.

For your year of bike, the passenger section of the Sundowner is not very big. (they made it 2" wider in 08) if that is of concern to you.

Some information you may find useful:

http://home.comcast.net/~kceder/seats/seats.html

Last edited by flyingace; 02-22-2010 at 11:01 PM.
Old 02-23-2010 | 01:28 AM
joewg3
Tourer

Originally Posted by ww1flyingace
I think the Sundowner is one of the better HD seats. Having said that, I prefer the Mustang.

For your year of bike, the passenger section of the Sundowner is not very big. (they made it 2" wider in 08) if that is of concern to you.

Some information you may find useful:

Awesome post.

Old 02-23-2010 | 05:43 AM
bobros
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by ww1flyingace

Same here

Old 02-23-2010 | 05:56 AM
bldap
Tourer

Originally Posted by sparky_mo
i'm only 5'9 but really like the mustang. with boots on have no problems getting both feet on the ground. wife likes it a lot better than other seats i've tried. she is tall and she doesn't sit up so high with the mustang one piece touring model. also can't beat the look.

sparky mo...I'm also 5'9" and would like to know if you could guesstimate how far lower the Mustang puts you over stock. Also does it place you further back from the bars, closer, or about the same distance?

Thanks.

Old 02-23-2010 | 06:07 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

I am 6'1" 255lbs I have a Mustang Ultra tour seat and both the OL and i love it...If i had the coins to drop on another seat i would probably get a Russel day long or a Road Zepplin but i currently have about 40k miles on the Mustang and i am pretty satisfied...With that said i had a Sundowner on my Sportster and loved it...But i am a pretty big boy for a sportster....All in all i think the Mustang is a great seat but it may not be worth a crap to you...You will have to det it and brek it in...at least 500 to 1000 miles...
PS:if you don't like it you cn get most of you money for it on the forum or Ebay.

Old 02-23-2010 | 07:44 AM
whoop72
Tourer

have a sundowner and can ride 13 hours/day with no problems. never had a mustang, but have no need to change, given the comfort of the sundowner for me. as was said earlier, there is no one seat which works best for everyone.

Old 02-23-2010 | 08:12 AM
mongomark
Road Master

I've got the sundowner and I've been happy with it. I am curious about other seats though.

Old 02-23-2010 | 11:59 AM
razoraggie
|
Advanced

Thanks all for your responses. I'm 6'1 / 240 lbs with a 34" inseam, so I'm thinking either Mustang or Sundowner would be okay, since I'm riding the lowered Road King Custom model. I've just been impressed with Mustang build quality, including the fact that they put rubber feet on the bike contact points, where Harley just allows the plastic to sit on the painted fender (!). I'll probably give the Mustang a try and see how I like it. I may have a Sundowner for sale later this week if I like it better.

As soon as the sun comes out again I'll post some pics of the new seat. It looks great on the Custom.

Last edited by razoraggie; 02-28-2010 at 10:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Mustang vs. Sundowner seats