Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mapping software

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 10:37 AM
GarArnett
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mapping software

Does anyone here use mapping software for planning trips? Microsoft Streets and Trips and DeLorme's Road Atlas USA are the 2 that come to my mind most. What I'm talking about is not web-based, but loaded on your computer, so you can save a lot of things/info for modification later and not have to re-create the whole thing all over again like with google maps or some other web based product. I really like this type of software for touring and trip planning. It really kicks butt when planning an IBA ride.

Now the kicker, anyone here Mac based and use mapping software? I am Mac based and looking but can't find anything. Anyone know of any products available for the Mac OS, not a PC program to run in bootcamp or parallels?

Thanks in advance. Not expecting much, as I've looked all over and come up blank, but then again, I don't have mad skilz searching the web.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:32 AM
KoalaCowboy
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use a combo of Streets & Trips 2009 and Garmin's GPS software for the longer trips.

Garmin Road Trip allows you to transfer waypoints, etc. from a Garmin GPS to a Mac (I use my Macbook for the vast majority of my personal computing and it usually comes along with me on road-trips).

My Macbook is running the latest version of Snow Leopard...

Old 02-22-2010, 12:14 PM
mopar400
Tourer

Two options come to mind, both web based so they work with PC or MAC.

http://www.openroadjourney.com/

or

http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/C...bmLocale=en_US

Both allow saving your trip and modifing them.

Bob

Old 02-22-2010, 12:38 PM
Scarz
Road Master
Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

I have used Streets & Trips, but preder to use Ride Planner on the HD web site. If you log in as a HOG member, you can save your trip plans. I currently have 10 trips saved that I've taken or plan to take that can be revised as I want.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:17 PM
GarArnett
Cruiser

I am going to the dark side and have downloaded a free trial of VMware Fusion so I can run win-doze on the mac. From there I will probably buy DeLorme's software.

I've played around a bit with the software on the HOG site. I'm not real fond of it, to be honest. I really want something that's not web based at all.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:58 PM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member
Received 424 Likes on 255 Posts

I use MS MapPoint; I can calculate my mileage for gas stops it also allows for starting & stopping times.

Old 02-22-2010, 03:23 PM
TRUBRIT
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I like the Garmin one that came with the Zumo. I like the fact that you can map out the route then view in Google Earth.

Old 02-22-2010, 03:49 PM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been used to the Harley Road Planner myself, and it's easy to download to my 765T.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:19 PM
jimsreddyna
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

+1 for the Garmin 550 and their trip planning software. I use a PC but it is available for either.

Have you tried the trip planner on the H-D web site? You can save your work there.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:31 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by GarArnett
Does anyone here use mapping software for planning trips?
I use Mapsource, which comes with the Garmin Zumo GPS. You can program the routes on your computer and transfer them to the Zumo. It is powerful with lots of features but very arcane and not user-friendly, IMO. I use it anyway in the absence of anything better. I'm not sure if there is a Mac version, but I doubt it.

Also, as an aside note, if you transfer the route to the GPS it may not take you down the same roads you specify unless you define via-points. I won't get into this further, but it is another arcane process that makes this program relatively hard to use, IMO, although once mastered can work very well.

Last edited by iclick; 02-23-2010 at 07:33 AM.

Quick Reply: Mapping software