Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

headlight trim ring problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 09:08 PM
shagnasty
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default headlight trim ring problem

On my road king, I had the stock headlight trim rings with the visors that you stick up under the lip of the ring. Today I decided to get the frenched style trim rings with the molded in visors for the headlight and driving lights. The driving light rings went on without incident. But the headlight ring had to go over your factory trim ring. No problem right? Wrong! When I removed the slip under visors from the ring to put the new one on, the factory headlight ring was not attached to the top of the headlight. It was held on only by a small sheet metal screw at the bottom of the ring. Because of this, as I slipped the new trim ring over the factory ring and began to tighten as instructed it is loose at the top because the factory ring is loose at the top. Any suggestions?

Old 02-21-2010, 09:12 PM
Bearcat1
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by shagnasty
On my road king, I had the stock headlight trim rings with the visors that you stick up under the lip of the ring. Today I decided to get the frenched style trim rings with the molded in visors for the headlight and driving lights. The driving light rings went on without incident. But the headlight ring had to go over your factory trim ring. No problem right? Wrong! When I removed the slip under visors from the ring to put the new one on, the factory headlight ring was not attached to the top of the headlight. It was held on only by a small sheet metal screw at the bottom of the ring. Because of this, as I slipped the new trim ring over the factory ring and began to tighten as instructed it is loose at the top because the factory ring is loose at the top. Any suggestions?
There should be a little wire that hooks into a slot on the baseplate of your headlamp assembly. This holds the top portion of your stock trim ring in place. It's easy to miss if you are not looking for it.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:47 PM
shagnasty
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the help. I took the dang thing off when I took the add on visor off. I thought it was part of the spring loaded retention kit that came with the visor.