Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scala G4 powerset - Vox not working

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 05:29 PM
NCTim
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scala G4 powerset - Vox not working

I recently purchased a Scala G4 Powerset. My wife and I have been trying them this weekend to work the bugs out and learn them. We don't seem to be able to initiate a conversation using the Vox (voice recognition). We can talk if we push the Channel A button, but we'd like to test the Vox. Anyone else out there using a Powerset (two G4 headsets)?

BTW, there is a procedure to turn the Voice-Connect feature on and off. We've tried it both ways and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:13 PM
04ctd
Banned

Received 205 Likes on 149 Posts

had any luck with it?

wife wants us to buy a set of G4's

the forum sponsor on here is the lowest price i have found, even off ebay.

please LMK what u think before i plunk down 4 bills on them

if you have been waiting and looking to get the lastest and greatest in Bike to Bike communication the Cardo G4 are instock and ready to ship. Don't for get use Coupon code HF10 on checkout and get 10% fourm discount as well as free shipping.

Single unit
http://shop.techncyclegear.com/Cardo...4-321-0134.htm

Powerset Two paried units and you save some money two.
http://shop.techncyclegear.com/Cardo...t-321-0137.htm

Old 03-10-2010, 11:10 PM
fatbob
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

also considering these, please let us know how you like.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:58 PM
04ctd
Banned

Received 205 Likes on 149 Posts

I got a PM from NC Tim.

not good news. i will let him post it if he wants, but i do hope he posts the outcome.

if you notice how useless their website is, you can make inferences from there.

i found more info on the product on other forums than i did on their website.

gonna keep my money in my pocket for now.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:14 PM
DarceyE
Intermediate
Thumbs up

3 of us from Indy bought them and rode to Daytona Bike Week. Then rode on to Key West. Round trip was just over 3000 miles in a week. It is all about knowing how to use them. The manual is not what it should be to make that easy.

Once you understand how to use them, they are excellent. The 3 of us were able to talk full duplex. When you have 3 units paired, only 2 of the users can connect to their phone. Phone feature works great. I was able to ride at Interstate speeds and talk on the phone and the people did not know I was on a bike. (09 Ultra).

Our first leg of the trip..we were all pissed at them, ready to send them back. We thought we had them paired correctly..but didn't. It took some experimentation, but we finally had them figured out by the end of day two.

We used Chatterboxes in the past and these are so much better. The full duplex operation is the best. We tested them up to about 1/2 mile and they were still clear.

I agree, they could be easier to use and the manual should be re-written. But hands down, they are the best intercom system I have ever used.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:45 PM
mikeboztx
Cruiser

DarceyE, Is an explanation of how to pair then very complicated? Can I guess that Scala CS or tech didn't help.

We plan on getting the G4's for our trip to Thunder Beach rally from Dallas.

Hope others will chime in and let us know what they think of them. Spent more money on CB's last year than these and that was a huge disappointment. Sold the Gold Wing and I'm not messing with CB on the Road glide. I'm really hoping these are the way to go.

Mike

Old 03-16-2010, 01:51 PM
DarceyE
Intermediate

Somehow we had the units messed up from the start. Best solution for us was to start from default setting. You can re-initialize the units by: 1.) have the unit power turned on. Then hold the on -off button (top center) for 6 seconds. The light will quickly flash red and blue. While flashing, hold the top front button (volume up button) for 3 seconds. The light will then flash red and blue at the same time (purple look) After five purple flashes, it will turn off. Now the unit is set to the factory new setting. 2.) To pair two units, turn each unit on and wait at least 3 seconds for them to initialize. Press and hold the "A" button on each unit (at the same time) for about 3 seconds. The lights will flash rapidly red for about 10 seconds on each unit unit they are paired. If you choose to press
"B" button on each unit instead, it will flash rapidly blue. Either is OK for a single set to be paired. Once paired, the light on each unit will flash with a single blue blink about 1 time a second. The single flash means you are in vox mode. In this mode, you can talk in full duplex. However after 30 seconds of not talking, the unit will go into stand-by. You have to speak very loudly to start communication again. Or you can push the "A" or "B" button, which ever on you paired with. If you want to go into the always on intercom mode, you first have to be out of stand-by. Then you can push the "A" or "B" button you paired with (on either unit). This will confirmed by a double blinking blue light on each unit. In this mode, the unit will never enter standy and the communication is always full duplex. You can also receive a phone call if paired to a blue tooth phone in this mode.
3.) If you want to pair a 3rd Q4, one of the units will have to be the middle man. You do this by pairing units 1 and 2 on button "A" button. Then you pair units 2 and 3 on the B Button. Unit 2 has to be paired to each of the other units at separate times. Important note here is: Once you have units 1 and 2 paired, they cannot be in intercom mode (double blinking blue light) while pairing with unit 3. You have to be in VOX mode, signaled by a single blue light flash before unit 2 will enter the pairing mode on the B button to connect to unit 3. Units 1 and 3 communicate through unit 2. In this set up, unit 2 cannot connect to a blue tooth phone as both its connections are used. However, units 1 and 3 can connect to a blue tooth phone.
4. We found there was not really a reason to enter the VOX mode which just kept going into stand-by every 30 seconds of non talk. We ran the units in intercom mode for 12 hours one day and the batteries never ran out.
5. If you do want use an mp3 player or GPS blue tooth device, I believe you have to be in VOX / stand-by mode for it to be heard. I don't have much experience with that.
I know it is not easy to understand or explain..hope this helps some.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:26 PM
mikeboztx
Cruiser

Thanks DarceyE. This should be a big help. I downloaded the user manual last night and tried to figure out what to do. Usually with me, I don't read the instructions till all else fails. Looks like your directions are more user friendly. thanks again.

Mike

Old 03-17-2010, 12:41 AM
coliseum
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am very happy with my setup... I have the G4 paired to my Zumo 660 and my Blackberry is also paired to my Zumo...

Best feature is being able to listen to stereo MP3 over bluetooth directly from my Zumo...

I love it!

Old 03-17-2010, 06:03 AM
NCTim
Advanced

Coliseum,

Are you pairing your G4 with another G4? The issue I'm having is between two G4s. I'm still having the issue; sent both units back to Scala last week for evaluation.

NCTim

Quick Reply: Scala G4 powerset - Vox not working