Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nevada,Utah,Colorado trip

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 01:56 PM
dan11809
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nevada,Utah,Colorado trip

Planning a ride July 5th from San Diego,Ca. through Nevada,Utah and Colorado.We want to go through Las Vegas,Zion,Bryce,Monument Valley and Million dollar highway.Maximum ten days,Any suggestions add on's or advice is appreciated!

Old 02-21-2010, 05:23 PM
NavyPT
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like an awesome trip. I personally haven't been through that part of the country myself but have lived in Texas and can tell you that you of course can expect plenty of heat that time of year. The members from this forum can usually provide some decent local first hand advice that you should find useful. Enjoy your ride.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:27 PM
RexBuck
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you come out of Bryce, turn right on Hwy 12 through Escalante - great road. As you are going East, Moab near Arches and Canyonlands parks is worth overnighting in. In the southwest corner of Colorado is Mesa Verde Park - very cool. Colorado has so much great riding - amoung others, try to get over to Independence Pass (Hwy 82).

You are going to have a great trip.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:38 PM
jdiamondv
Cruiser

2 years ago my buddies and i flew from Maryland to Arizona picked up the bikes and headed north through Brice canyon, the Grand Staircase in Utah, Yellowstone and down through the Tetons into telluride,Co. and back, 4000 miles in 9 days. Make sure you go hit Route 12 in the grand staircase it will be the highlight of your trip. Weather changes from 50 to 120 degrees from the mountains to the desert. Its breathtaking out there, we will be going back again next year to the Grand Staircase and rt. 12 in Utah and spending more time in Co. Have a great time.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:39 PM
KoalaCowboy
Road Warrior

Plan for a range of temps +30F to +120F. Make sure you have rain gear; you'll definitely want a helmet (though you'll have one since you're coming out of California) for any hail storms.

Make sure you pack a couple bottles of water and some nutrition bars, in case 'the worst' happens (that would definitely suck, but better to be prepared with food & water). If you have space, bring a "Space Blanket" along as a 'just in case.'

Plan your route out with maximum detail. As you head into the Utah mountains, you should plan to fill up/top off whenever you see fuel. There are 'some' sections where you can go quite a ways without seeing a gas station.

Extra batteries for your camera, extra memory card too!

Suggest you ride the Million Dollar Highway from North to South; the scenery and ride is more 'interesting' IMO.

From Durango, I would suggest you head west to Cortez on US-160, stopping to visit 4 Corners National Monument, then continue on US-160 to US-89 South to AZ-64, visiting the Grand Canyon. Then continue south on AZ-64/US-180 to Williams.

From there, you have a myriad of options back to San Diego

Old 02-21-2010, 06:53 PM
dan11809
Tourer

Good advice so far. Thanks guy's,this forum's members are awesome!

Old 02-21-2010, 07:35 PM
D2R
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Made that trip last summer except I ended up on the Ore, coast before heading back to Wyoming.We were down there the 1st week of Aug.113 deg. in Vegas,even with the heat it was a great ride.The one thing that I'd suggest,pick yourself up a Hyperkewl vest or something comparable.They're about $35.00.Harley sells one but quite a bit more expensive.I rode down to Huntington Beach last Memorial Day,Vegas was already in the high 90's,104 in Barstow.These "soaker" vests are a Godsend in the heat.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:45 PM
vistavette
Stellar HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

Since I live in Las Vegas; let me suggest this: SKIP THE DESERT IN JULY! If you want to ride in this area right now is the time; its great and your pretty close.

I dread the summer here like I used to hate the winter when I lived I Michigan.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:37 AM
dan11809
Tourer

Originally Posted by KoalaCowboy
Plan for a range of temps +30F to +120F. Make sure you have rain gear; you'll definitely want a helmet (though you'll have one since you're coming out of California) for any hail storms.

Make sure you pack a couple bottles of water and some nutrition bars, in case 'the worst' happens (that would definitely suck, but better to be prepared with food & water). If you have space, bring a "Space Blanket" along as a 'just in case.'

Plan your route out with maximum detail. As you head into the Utah mountains, you should plan to fill up/top off whenever you see fuel. There are 'some' sections where you can go quite a ways without seeing a gas station.

Extra batteries for your camera, extra memory card too!

Suggest you ride the Million Dollar Highway from North to South; the scenery and ride is more 'interesting' IMO.

From Durango, I would suggest you head west to Cortez on US-160, stopping to visit 4 Corners National Monument, then continue on US-160 to US-89 South to AZ-64, visiting the Grand Canyon. Then continue south on AZ-64/US-180 to Williams.

From there, you have a myriad of options back to San Diego
Thanks KoalaCowboy,good trip planning and advice.I'll pickup those items for sure.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:55 AM
Road Hawg
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you get around Moab I would definitely head over through Telluride into Ouray Co. very cool place then down the million dollar hwy through Silverton, Co. and Durango, If you get around the Salt Lake area send me a pm I'll give you the nickle tour lots of beautiful riding around the area. Enjoy your trip...

Quick Reply: Nevada,Utah,Colorado trip