Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nevada,Utah,Colorado trip

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 11:37 AM
Open Road
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The wife and I did a similar ride last summer. Left Sacramento, went to Vegas, then up through Zion (missed Bryce, but now wish we'd have done that instead of the North Rim). Take the shuttle bus tour into the park (you can do it in as short as 1 hour, but 2-3hrs. is probably more realistic).

Then we went to the North Rim before continuing on to Monument Valley. That was great! Then we rode south to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon, Sedona and back through Vegas and home. We did that in 8 days.

Old 02-22-2010, 03:28 PM
rstekeur
Road Captain

I road from Florida along the gulf coast through southern textas up to Albuquerque and alone RT 66 to OK and back to Florida. The one thing I remember most is 115 degrees is dam hot.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:43 PM
skidjl
Novice

As others have mentioned, the ride over the boulder mountain on hwy 12 is amazing. When you get to Torry, make a right and within a couple of miles you'll be in Capitol Reef N.P. Backtrack out of Capitol Reef and hit Fish Lake, prettiest lake in Utah.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:12 PM
3thumbs
Novice

I took a 2 week ride out there last year, did Rocky Mountain park, million dollar highway, Independance pass and more. The best was utah 12, Bryce to torrey. for this flatlander it was heaven, the road, ride and scenery all in one. You have to do this. Stop in the little town of Torrey ut. Theres a great resturant on the west side of town, mexican, can not remeber the name. Then head east, work your way to the head of lake powell. There's a overlook about 1000 feet up from the lake. Unbelivable veiws, more great riding. Enjoy, be safe, and appreciate.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:45 PM
Landon
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

make sure to get thru Glenwood Canyon, just east of Glenwood Springs, Co

Old 02-23-2010, 09:06 PM
Teardrop
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

We have visitors in Arizona that go out in the desert for a 2 hour hike every summer that don't make it out alive. If you plan on riding in the desert in the summer bring lots of water. I have read that the average person will sweat 26 oz. of water every hour they are outside. I ride in the heat every year but I always carry at least 1 gallon in my bike and I make sure i stop every hour to re-hydrate. You will have no issues if you are prepared.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:26 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

Take a look at this route on MapQuest:

Day 1: Cortez - Lizard Head Pass - Telluride - Ridgeway - Silverton - Durango - Pagosa Springs (stay at a hotel near the hot springs!)

Day 2: Pagosa Springs - Wolf Creek Pass - South Fork - Creede - Lake City - Gunnison (Roadway Inn is our favorite, Steaks as big as your thigh at the Trough in Gunnison).

Day 3: Gunnison - Black Canyon of the Gunnison - Montrose - Grand Junction - Moab, UT & points west on I-70.

I've ridden each of these roads and the represent some of the best Colorado has to offer. Start searching for hotels in Pagosa soon...they are pricey and will be hard to find that holiday weekend. The people who own the Roadway Inn in Gunnison are from Poland and some of the nicest you'll ever meet. If you want to take an evening ride out of Gunnison you can head north to Crested Butte (about 30 minutes). The turn-off to the Black Canyon is a sneaky one and you'll miss it if you're not watching the signs real close. Though the Million Dollar Highway ranks as a Top 5 ride, the trip from South Fork to Gunnison is personally my favorite.

There's going to be a lot of tourist traffic that weekend...start shopping for rooms now!

Ride safe, send me a PM is you need any additional information.

Take care.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:04 PM
kwidd
4th Gear

Don't miss the drive on highway 12. We did a ride there last year. I am planning to ride there again. Kent

Old 02-23-2010, 11:41 PM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

By that time of year, I think you'll enjoy yourself more if you spend the bulk of your time in northern Utah and Colorado. There are some great roads in northern Utah, and I'm sure the same is true of Colorado.

A few great rides include:

The Mirror Lake Highway
Wolf Creek pass to Hana
Randolph to Huntsville over Monte Cristo (have lunch at the Shooting Star in Huntsville)
Nebo Loop
Alpine Loop
East Canyon

Don't skip southern Utah entirely. You must see Zions and Bryce. I haven't ridden Hwy 12 yet (this May) but from what everyone says, that's a must ride also. I'm just saying, when you get tired of being in an oven, come north and the riding is still superb.