Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reason fork lock doesn't work?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 09:45 AM
jacknthebox
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Reason fork lock doesn't work?

So my fork lock doesn't work on my 2000 RKC. As ericl suggested in a previous post, I tried moving the neck back and forth to find "the spot" - but no matter what, when I turn the key it makes a sound like the tumbler is hitting something and will not turn all the way to lock.

Now, the previous owner installed a tach on the handlebar steering column - would there be something in this hardware that interferes with the fork lock?
Could the fork lock be replaced? For how much?

Also - in the absence of the fork lock or any other security system - do you recommend using a disc lock - I like the Xenon lock with a siren - or don't most of you use your fork lock or extra protection anyways?

Thanks

Last edited by jacknthebox; 02-21-2010 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:15 AM
nocarb
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jacknthebox
So my fork lock doesn't work. As ericl suggested in a previous post, I tried moving the neck back and forth to find "the spot" - but no matter what, when I turn the key it makes a sound like the tumbler is hitting something and will not turn all the way to lock.

Now, the previous owner installed a tach on the handlebar steering column - would there be something in this hardware that interferes with the fork lock?
Could the fork lock be replaced? For how much?

Also - in the absence of the fork lock - do you recommend using a disc lock - I like the Xenon lock with a siren - or don't most of you use your fork lock or extra protection anyways?

Thanks
I would try removing lock and get the alignment tool, maybe tumblers are out of alignment.

I very rarely use my fork lock unless I am parked somewhere unfamiliar. I have an alarm though, I just bring my FOB with me.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:53 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts
Old 02-21-2010, 01:46 PM
jacknthebox
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 1FLTRI4ME
Thanks - I should have been more specific - I have a 2000 RKC - good vid though.

Old 02-21-2010, 01:48 PM
jacknthebox
Road Captain

Originally Posted by nocarb
I would try removing lock and get the alignment tool, maybe tumblers are out of alignment.

I very rarely use my fork lock unless I am parked somewhere unfamiliar. I have an alarm though, I just bring my FOB with me.
Thanks - I'll look in to that procedure. I don't have any security or alarm so I would like to have some protection other than just locking the ignition.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:53 PM
Theakerr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My fork lock is very tight and to get it to engage I have to pull the bars firmly to the left. Just positioning it and holding does not work. It require a firm pull. I have a Concours which is exactly the same. Hope this is relevant and helps

Old 02-21-2010, 09:11 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 854 Likes on 644 Posts

IF you have a ROAD KING.
#1 It is possible that the large black rubber doughnut on fork leg tube is not allowing forks to turn fully left in order for lock position to be engaged.
#2 while sitting on bike.... consider pulling left handlebar grip towards you and hold..then turning key...do same to unlock...pull hold and then turn key..
Doughnut keeps handlebar from banging against gas tank.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:18 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 854 Likes on 644 Posts

doughnut is called rubber fork stop...on an older bike if the fork legs were removed for some reason.... sometimes on re-install the doughnut is not placed in the same used/time worn spot and this happens....you could hand turn it and find worn spot.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:38 PM
SaltyHawg
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 2003 RKC, sometimes I have to really pull hard to the left to engage/disengage the fork lock.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:15 PM
Oldman Harley
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check and make sure the clutch cable is not getting between the rubber fork stop and the frame. I had this happen and no matter what I did could not lock the forks. I had a friend look where the fork stop hits andit was pinching the clutch cable. One zip tie late and problem was solved.

Quick Reply: Reason fork lock doesn't work?