Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Use of the HD Premium Air Horn

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 10:15 AM
dapster
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Use of the HD Premium Air Horn

I got to put my new HD Premium Air Horn to use this morning! Coming down the Interstate on my way to work I was approaching an on ramp onto the Interstate and I noticed the all too familiar cagers jockeying for position in the cars to enter the I-185 speed rally. I, anticipating their blatant disregard for others (or is it just their obliviousness to the world around them?), had moved to the center lane to give them some room. Then I saw her, making her move to swoop out around all of the others to win the race with only one obstacle in her path, ME AND MY RKC! Having anticipated this move on her part, I had already planned an out to the left, all of the way to the rumble strip if necessary. I gave her a full on blast with the air horn and the expression on her face was almost worth it. She obviously had no idea I was there until I gave her the HD wake up call!

Now of course, this has all been said with a touch of humor as my anger has subsided from yet another cager attack. I just wanted to use this opportunity to share with everyone my pleasure with the HD Air Horn. I know there are others like the S&S, but I didn’t personally care for the dual trumpets and I liked the look of Harley’s offering and have been somewhat pleased with the performance. Installation wasn’t that bad either.

Rubber side down!

Old 07-27-2006, 11:55 AM
rvisdew
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Use of the HD Premium Air Horn

Glad to hear that the horn works well! I've purchased it, but it's in the box waiting for someone to stop riding and install the darn thing. Your post is my wakeup call. Thanks.

Old 07-27-2006, 11:58 AM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Premium Price, that's why they call it the Premium Air Horn. Highly over priced and then you have to buy a mounting kit on top of it all.

Old 07-27-2006, 12:04 PM
zubaugh
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had my wrencher install mine. He said the stock one already had a relay so there was no need to put in the wiring harness.

I'm hard of hearing so I'm not sure how loud the thing is. Also, it seems to flop around more than the stock horn. Almost like it's loose.

Comments?

Old 07-28-2006, 11:53 PM
EDCT100
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been considering changing out the horn....for a louder model for the reasons you point out. Didn't know HD had a 'premium' model, not surprised though that it is 'premium priced.' Do you know the pricing difference between the HD and S&S model...and the difference in sound??? Thanks.

Ed

Old 07-29-2006, 12:22 AM
Bushy
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Zubaugh, I also have a 05 ultra, just ordered the new air horn, what is exactly the story with your relay?? I also purchased the install kit
thanks
Bushy

Old 07-31-2006, 08:36 PM
zubaugh
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine sounds yucky. I expected a much louder blare. I'm hard of hearing and haven't had a chance to ask for an opinion.

As for the wiring, I've been to California three times this month racking up ove 6,000 miles. I haven't had a chance to look into the wiring. I've got the old and unused new parts in a box. Got to get ready for Sturgis. I'll look at it when I get back. Wrencher told me no need to use the new relay and wiring. Said that was for older model. He hook mine up directly to the existing wiring. I'm suspecting he blew it as I recall the horn/compressor takes 18Amps. Maybe that's why mine sounds funky. Anyway, don't have time to look into it further
ORIGINAL: Bushy

Hey Zubaugh, I also have a 05 ultra, just ordered the new air horn, what is exactly the story with your relay?? I also purchased the install kit
thanks
Bushy