Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Simply the very best leathers money can buy

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 12:26 PM
Terrific Pacific
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 02-20-2010, 12:30 PM
Solitaree1
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by davessworks
ok - I'll answer a few comments in one post. This particular jacket cost me $1,125.

One last reply - I have Gerbings already (believe they're actually out of Tumwater - but I bought mine at Sturgis).

Maybe for people with that kind of money laying around, it's easy to buy american made. outta my price range, fer sure.

Old 02-20-2010, 12:31 PM
Solitaree1
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Northwoodz
So they are "the very best leathers money can buy" because you say so? Or is because Jeff Decker "swears by them"? Or is this a historical fact archived somewhere? For $1125.00 I think it's more of an ego/name dropper thing. Nothing wrong with my $300 HD jacket, or for that matter my buddies $100 flea market leather. For $1125.00, I can heat my house for an entire year. For $1125.00 I can cover my familys medical deductible for a year. For $1125.00 I can pay for my daughters dorm/food expenses for an entire year. Glad you have the money to spend on extravagances, but to come on here and flaunt it, and BOLDLY CLAIM "the best leathers money can buy" is a bit much. Hey everyone LOOK AT ME!!!!! I also agree with a few others..... If it's sewn together by an asian, tell me again why it's better than buying from one sewn in China by an Asian? A $700.00 mark up don't make it better!
what he said...

Old 02-20-2010, 12:39 PM
SeniorChief56
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 17,513 Likes on 5,068 Posts

So you own a Langlitz Leather jacket, that don't impress me much,,,,right Shania?

Old 02-20-2010, 12:42 PM
Baffler1
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The issue is not how much you spend - but buying made in america keeps americans employed - and by the way my wife is asian and she only wants to buy things that are made in america!

Old 02-20-2010, 12:47 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Geez - only going to reply once to this one. There's a bit of a double standard going on here. I don't see anyone getting raked over the coals for dropping a bundle on 21" wheels, 120" builds, chrome nick-knacks out the wazoo.

But if someone has a jacket custom fit (so it fits like a glove) and pays to have it hand made, the old fashioned way, keeping a bunch of Americans gainfully employed it's an extravagance . . Er - OK.

For the amount of money you've got into your bike I could send my two kids to college for a year, pay my heating bill and my medical deductible - and the chrome doo dads aren't going to save my *** when I go sliding down the blacktop.

BTW I didn't say how much the jacket cost until asked. It is an obscene amount and a little embarrassing but it's the last jacket I'll ever buy.

If you want to get anything hand made to fit it's going to cost. There's people here who swear by Wesco boots (haven't been able to afford a pair myself yet and not sure I will - care to guess how much they cost?).

Finally - I'm not trying to impress anyone.

Last edited by davessworks; 02-20-2010 at 12:50 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:54 PM
Teardrop
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

So they are "the very best leathers money can buy" because you say so? Or is because Jeff Decker "swears by them"? Or is this a historical fact archived somewhere? For $1125.00 I think it's more of an ego/name dropper thing. Nothing wrong with my $300 HD jacket, or for that matter my buddies $100 flea market leather. For $1125.00, I can heat my house for an entire year. For $1125.00 I can cover my family's medical deductible for a year. For $1125.00 I can pay for my daughters dorm/food expenses for an entire year. Glad you have the money to spend on extravagances, but to come on here and flaunt it, and BOLDLY CLAIM "the best leathers money can buy" is a bit much. Hey everyone LOOK AT ME!!!!! I also agree with a few others..... If it's sewn together by an Asian, tell me again why it's better than buying from one sewn in China by an Asian? A $700.00 mark up don't make it better!
I grew up in Salem, Oregon and have been to the Langlitz shop and checked out their jackets more than once. I have had numerous jackets in my 35 + years of riding and none of these ever came close to a Langitz jacket. The jacket I currently have cost me $265 and I believe it to be a nice jacket but it doesn't compare to the Langlitz jackets. If I had the money I would purchase one in a heart beat but like you I have other responsibilities I must fulfill first. I didn't read into the posters comments that made me think "LOOK AT ME". but thats just me. Thanks for the write-up on your new jacket I hope to someday purchase one myself..........

Last edited by Teardrop; 02-20-2010 at 12:58 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:57 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dswansbiker
Dave, congratulations on your Langlitz! I just placed an order for my first Langlitz this week! No more made in China jackets for this guy. Fox Creek and Vanson are great American made jackets too, but I had my heart set on a Langlitz for over 10 years and I waited till I could do it.
Congrats! BTW I looked into Vanson a while back and contacted the company hoping to be able to report that they are still 100% US made however this is the response I got:
as far as i know most of the leather that we get i also tanned in brockton mass...but vanson is no longer entirely made in USA. we have a plant in el salvador and about 80% of our standard stuff is now made there.
thanx

Old 02-20-2010, 01:07 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Holy chit! $1,125 for a jacket?! WOW!! That's some serious coin for jacket.

Originally Posted by davessworks
ok - I'll answer a few comments in one post. This particular jacket cost me $1,125.

Yes, they make other styles but fundamentally there are two starting points, the Columbia and the Cascade. There are so many customization choices that the jackets can look very different even if they are the the same model. I suggest visiting their website.

Old 02-20-2010, 01:15 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

So they are "the very best leathers money can buy" because you say so? Or is because Jeff Decker "swears by them"? Or is this a historical fact archived somewhere? For $1125.00 I think it's more of an ego/name dropper thing. Nothing wrong with my $300 HD jacket, or for that matter my buddies $100 flea market leather. For $1125.00, I can heat my house for an entire year. For $1125.00 I can cover my familys medical deductible for a year. For $1125.00 I can pay for my daughters dorm/food expenses for an entire year. Glad you have the money to spend on extravagances, but to come on here and flaunt it, and BOLDLY CLAIM "the best leathers money can buy" is a bit much. Hey everyone LOOK AT ME!!!!! I also agree with a few others..... If it's sewn together by an asian, tell me again why it's better than buying from one sewn in China by an Asian? A $700.00 mark up don't make it better!
Originally Posted by Solitaree1
Maybe for people with that kind of money laying around, it's easy to buy american made. outta my price range, fer sure.
Originally Posted by SeniorChief56
So you own a Langlitz Leather jacket, that don't impress me much,,,,right Shania?
Wow, that's a lot of ill will over a jacket. You guys are all thumping on a pretty decent guy, a long time forum member without a mean bone in his body. Someone asked him how much it was. He was just replying to a question.

He's not the only one showing off new toys on the forum. How many other guys post pics of their new paint, wheels, bars, chrome, lizard blinkety leds, etc etc etc? Do any of you remember the HD leather prestige jackets? Those were over 900 bucks a few years back.

In some circles, Langlitz is regarded as the very best. Custom, hand made from select leather. Not flashy in the least... just very, very well made. And sometimes the very best costs significantly more than just very good. I don't think Dave is the kind of guy who has money "just laying around". Really, you're all just coming across as catty and jealous.

If you'd been paying attention, you'd have seen that he had an older Langlitz that he'd recently put on consignment at their store... and, of course, the famous Vanson pants (lol).

Cmon guys, lighten up, really. No one is going to beat you up if you want to change out your cast wheels for chrome ones.... or spend 700 or 800 bucks on ape hangers.

I'd bought HD clothing for years, but it's just not the same quality it used to be. I have two HD jackets in my closet right now... one is the leather FXRG. It's good, but it's not in the same league as Langlitz. I also have a Vanson textile, which is a great jacket. But I don't have a Langlitz, even though I want one badly. I keep watching ebay for one in my size, but that would almost like winning the lottery.

Congrats Dave, I'm happy for you.

Quick Reply: Simply the very best leathers money can buy