Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LRS X-Stream Windshield Sale!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 12:49 PM
gibby122
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SciFiGuy
Before the 8" X-Stream I was using the LRS 8" Recurve.
which to you prefer?

Old 03-01-2010, 01:00 PM
SciFiGuy
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by gibby122
which to you prefer?
Honestly If I had to make a decision right now I'd go with the Recurve.

The X-Stream wins as far as looks and how it keeps the bike more stable (in my opinion anyway) but the main reason we have shields is to keep the wind and debris out of our face. And I fell the Recurve does a much better job with the reduction of buffeting and wind noise.

Old 03-01-2010, 03:38 PM
407Guy
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The X-Stream wins as far as looks and how it keeps the bike more stable (in my opinion anyway) but the main reason we have shields is to keep the wind and debris out of our face. And I fell the Recurve does a much better job with the reduction of buffeting and wind noise.
Interesting.

Thanks for the post.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:02 AM
gibby122
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:19 PM
BeeRAD56
Road Warrior
Received 430 Likes on 121 Posts

You make an important and timely point for me. I caught a rock the size of a golf ball from an opposing gravel truck this morning in my truck. Both of us going 60+ (120+/- combined). Luckily it hit low, grazing the hood. It destroyed my windshield and blew glass into the cab. Had I been on my bike and 2" to the right it could have been real ugly. I don't think I'd be writing this post since I ride with a 1/2 helmet or no helmet. Todays experience is making me rethink my windshield choice for my '10 SG.

I recently picked up a 6" LRS with recurve over the holidays and finally got to try it last week (tough winter in northern colorado). The x-stream was not yet released, or I would have gone that route because I love the look. I'm very happy with the 6" recurve shield and LRS service has been great, but the teeth rattling buffeting continues. The shield is plenty tall for me (5'-10, 32" inseam, stock seat). All the turbulence seems to be coming from underneath. Now I'm looking at fairing air deflectors to help with the buffeting.

After almost taking a golf ball sized rock in the teeth while in my truck this morning and what could have happened had I'd been on my bike my "10 SG is for sale. The first $40k takes it so I can buy a "10 CVO Ultra Classic EG as it comes with a taller shield. And, yes, I've been drinking.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:46 PM
longrideshields-2
Premium Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by 407Guy
Thanks for the info.

Can you or anyone (LRS ???) provide a guess on the actual height of the 8" from the bottom of the Street Glide batwing?
The 8" sits right at 7.5" when measured vertically.

www.longrideshields.com

Old 03-05-2010, 04:08 PM
longrideshields-2
Premium Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

I agree with this breakdown. Our classic Recurve is designed to maximize the amount of deflection, offering the most comfortable ride on the road... .

The x-stream is more of a performance shield. It's designed to reduce many of the negative effects experienced when riders take their stock shields between 60 and 90 mph. Simply put, it guides the slipstream away from you not only vertically, but laterally at these speeds. This considerably reduces (so long as it's properly fitted) what is widely referred to as buffeting. If anyone would like to learn more on the topic, the best place to start would be to check out von Karman vortices. Feel free to PM with any questions.

-Rob