Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poor Tune on 2010 Ultra? Pictures of Pistons

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 06:14 AM
JimTJr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by smokindave
I visited Guy a few weeks ago and saw your bike on his lift. With just 500 breakin miles on your bike, those pistons look typical to me. I am assuming you were not riding much above 4k rpm and then probably not for long, so they look about right. Just another reminder to all of us not to dog our motors after breakin.

"The final tune will done by Doc at HDMD Tuning Center".........Can you tell me where this tuning center is located? I might want to visit them. Thanks
So,,,,,,, do ya think the Motor officers will understand when they pull us over???
ROTFLMAO,,,, I do plan on "Keeping it cleaned out" when it's broke in!

Old 02-20-2010, 06:39 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JimTJr
So,,,,,,, do ya think the Motor officers will understand when they pull us over???
ROTFLMAO,,,, I do plan on "Keeping it cleaned out" when it's broke in!
Any common sense of course would be up to you (not suggesting any law breaking). I myself live in a very rural area and I have opportunity to blow out the cobwebs once in a while.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:30 AM
mariner227
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smokindave
I visited Guy a few weeks ago and saw your bike on his lift. With just 500 breakin miles on your bike, those pistons look typical to me. I am assuming you were not riding much above 4k rpm and then probably not for long, so they look about right. Just another reminder to all of us not to dog our motors after breakin.

"The final tune will done by Doc at HDMD Tuning Center".........Can you tell me where this tuning center is located? I might want to visit them. Thanks
Doc is located near Clermont, Florida.
www.hdmdtuningcenter.com
317 E. Washington St.
Minneola, Fl, 34715

He prefers TTS Mastertune.
I did not do the HD recommended break in on my 07 ultra and did the same with the 2010.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:47 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

This has been mentioned on a few different forums. I never owned an '07 bike, so I can't comment on heat issues with them. I know that there's been a lot of grousing about the addition of converters on the '10 bikes. I can say this...On my '05, the bike ran lean and hot, and regularly got over 50mpg. That bike is now a tuned 103 and is running at a more appropriate AFR. Mileage is around 42mpg.

My '10 Limited (which is absolutely stock) radiates less heat to me than the '05 'Train. It also gets around 38mpg.

Now I haven't ridden the Limited in 100 degree stop-and-go traffic, but I have ridden it in 70 degree weather, and it's definitely cooler than the Night Train under those conditions.

Old 02-20-2010, 01:30 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When I pulled this engine down, it was not what I expected to see. Carbon build up over time is somewhat normal but this is a "new" bike. I just pulled my personal bike down at 35k miles, and it is a 120" and I was able to read the Headquarters logos on the tops of the pistons. Yes, gasoline is crap but tune is important, and for a stock 2010 to only get 38 to 40 mpg is a problem. Too much fuel, oil being pulled in through the breathers and you end up with too much carbon. I am not sure if the bikes with the cats were "richened up" from HD to try to bring the heat down a bit, but it is possible that with a cat system you can get away with a richer mixture and still meet EPA requirements.

Old 02-20-2010, 02:57 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

The only two reasons I suspect that the '10s were richened up is that the bike doesn't ping or pop on decel, and the mileage is so low. With the change this year to Lambda, it's possible that the mixture was changed as well. As you said Dalton, with the catalyst cleaning up the exhaust, you don't need to run as lean in order to reduce emissions.