Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Add Intercom now want CB - what do I need

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 06:25 PM
zlaneb
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Add Intercom now want CB - what do I need

All,
I added HD Intercom to my 07 EG Classic. I have decided the CB would be a great addition. What would i need to add at this point?
When I added the Intercom it included a wiring harness, A dash w/ rider port, a passenger port w/ independent volume control, and a new switch housing w/ PPT on the left bar.

Other than the obvious antenna, what other HW would i have to add to enable the CB?
Any help greatly appreciated.

Ride Safe, Ride Hard.
Zlaneb

Old 02-19-2010, 06:54 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Compare the parts listed in the Boom Audio Music Intercom Kit, p/n 77108-09, with what you already have on your bike to identify what additonal parts you may need. You can download the installation instructions from HD's website P&A catalog (under "Genuine Motor Accessories") tab and it will include a "service parts list."

Based on your description of what's on your bike, you may only need the HD CB module; about $300 list. It sits on top of the Harman Kardon headunit and plugs into the non-Ultra overlay harness, p/n 70169-06, which you probably already have on your bike. If you look at the harness, it will have a connector labeled for CB.

The only other component that may be required/desirable, is the speaker switch that's included in the BAMI kit above, that mounts in the fairing cap and allows you to choose to hear music only through the headset, music and CB through the fairing speakers, or music from the fairing speakers and CB through the headset. All intercom is heard through the headsets.

Good luck with your project.

Carl

Here's the thread on my BAMI installation:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...tra-glide.html

Old 02-20-2010, 08:27 AM
zlaneb
Cruiser

Thanks HPM,
I look forward to getting this done before riding season!

Old 02-20-2010, 08:41 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

You're welcome, zlaneb. For group riding, take a look at J&M's in-fairing powered CB antenna. I've used it on half a dozen or so group rides and it works well and avoids issues with mounting an external antenna.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:43 AM
zlaneb
Cruiser
Default Thanks

I like J&Ms other products. I failed to mention that my tourpac is removable. Therefore I would either have to do a framemounted solution or inner fairing. My only question now is "do i do it myself or pay Harley to do it?

Old 02-21-2010, 09:30 AM
Buzzsaw
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zlaneb
I like J&Ms other products. I failed to mention that my tourpac is removable. Therefore I would either have to do a framemounted solution or inner fairing. My only question now is "do i do it myself or pay Harley to do it?
Check ebay for the cb module, easy to so yourself. As Pingman said u might need an overlay harness if you don't have a spot to plug the CB into, depending on the one you put In for the intercom. It is easy, basically plug and play. You should have gotten the speaker switch with the center console and PTT sw housing. The hidden CB ant would be a good option.

I got my module on ebay for $35.- and the bought HD's ant for about $110.- a couple years ago.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:35 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

Compared to the intercom installation, adding the CB module and speaker switch are far simpler. The CB module attaches to the top of the radio with a single screw and is plugged into the overlay harness--that's it.

The speaker switch is installed in the fairing cap with two screws and its wires inserted into the quick disconnect connector that already has the ACC and SPOT switches connected to it. The only tricky part of removing the switch cap is the ignition **** and there's plenty of info on HDF to do this w/o HD's alignment tool.

The J&M in-fairing CB antenna attaches to the inner fairing with double-sided tape, and the antenna lead screws on to the CB module antenna connector. The antenna wire is secured with the supplied plastic wire holders.

You can download the BAMI Kit, 77108-09, installtion instructions, and the install instructions for the CB module to see for yourself what's involved with adding the CB module and speaker switch.

Good luck with your project. If you need help, shoot me a PM.

Carl