Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

21" wheel install problem- need advice !!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 10:18 PM
creep1
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 21" wheel install problem- need advice !!!

Was helpin a buddy of mine with his 21" inch hogpro. I dont know what style wheel but its chrome with matching chrome rotors. So we get the wheel on - following factory guidelines and torque specs but the wheel wont spin freely. I check the spacers and they are on the right side. double checked everything 4x. The only conclusion I can come up with is that the entire rotor is chromed and it seems to be a little on the thick side. Could this be the rubbing issue ???

Old 02-18-2010, 10:26 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Take the caliper off to make sure the wheel is not binding.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:31 PM
creep1
Road Captain

Spins smooth as butter with the calipers off

Old 02-18-2010, 10:52 PM
fairplay
Road Master

compress the pistons a bit

Old 02-18-2010, 10:58 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member

You might try cleaning the caliper piston real well as they tend to get dirty and stick.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:58 PM
creep1
Road Captain

compressed them . pumped em up. tried everything. The rotors seem awful thick. you would think just the inner would be chromed but the entire rotor is chromed. the face of the rotor (axle hole to pad contact area), both sides and the entire edge.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:59 PM
creep1
Road Captain

how do you clean the piston ?

Old 02-18-2010, 11:44 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

The rotors are probably polished not chromed. I have only ever heard of one type of rotor chromed and they are not being made, PM stopped making them along time ago. Do the calipers fit over the rotors and then when you tighten the caliper bolts then it binds up? What diameter rotor came off and what are you putting on? Harley changed the dia from 11.5 to 11.8(300mm)in 07 or 08, and it is possible they sent 11.8 and the original one is 11.5. Measure each to see.

Old 02-19-2010, 04:55 AM
patsfan
Road Captain

Originally Posted by creep1
Was helpin a buddy of mine with his 21" inch hogpro. I dont know what style wheel but its chrome with matching chrome rotors. So we get the wheel on - following factory guidelines and torque specs but the wheel wont spin freely. I check the spacers and they are on the right side. double checked everything 4x. The only conclusion I can come up with is that the entire rotor is chromed and it seems to be a little on the thick side. Could this be the rubbing issue ???
You didnt mention what year bike it is.
Assuming you put new pads on as well. Its not gonna spin as freely with the calipers bolted up as it does without. Gonna have that slight brake pad drag. If the rotors are centered in the calipers, even with the pad drag, you should get 2-3 revolutions.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:16 AM
Overdoo
Road Captain
Default 21 "wheel install

If you have an 08 or later bike the rotor location is very important. The Brembo brakes are far less forgiving then the old ones as far as having the rotors centered. Even with new rotors the wheel should spin freely or at best have a slight amount of drag. My wheel was put on by the dealer at time of delivery. My hubs and rotors had to be replaced because the rotors warped due to being offset enough to cause a problem with heat. Hogpro told me that they had a lot of problems with 08 bikes with the first release of the new brakes and rotor placement.

Quick Reply: 21" wheel install problem- need advice !!!