Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heim Joint Shift Linkage

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 08:55 PM
Scubadog
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Heim Joint Shift Linkage

Ok, I know this subject has been beat to death but here goes.
I definitely want to replace my shift linkage with the heim joints and don't give a ratts *** about the fancy HD versions. I’ve searched and read the many threads and posts but still want to make sure that I buy the exact parts that I need. I’m not looking for the fancy HD $149 chrome shift rods. I just want the best supplier and option for exactly what and where to get this simple $15 to $20 solution to an obvious HD deficiency in the shift linkage. I am a fully admitted idiot and need the Forest Gump version of exactly where and what to buy. What I would really like is a one stop complete kit that includes everything I need including fastners and instructions. I'd pay a fair price for that and i think many others would. Thanks.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:00 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 02-18-2010, 09:03 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member

http://www.midwestcontrol.com/buy.php?item=173 Here is another and made in the US

Old 02-18-2010, 09:06 PM
ashmarc
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Scubadog
What I would really like is a one stop complete kit that includes everything I need including fastners and instructions.
^^^^^^

I feel your pain.

I sucked it up and bought the HD (20% off & waited 3 weeks), but it's very nice.

Hope you find something that suits your needs.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:11 PM
menmia
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I looked around on the first link BLKBAGGER posted and think I found what you are looking for (me too). Check this out (http://www.landmarkmfg.com/Linkage_Round.html), it looks to have all you are needing and teh chrome version is only $50.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:11 PM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Search the forum for heim joints and find the part number for the McMaster-Carr unit.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:21 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member

Some of the hiem joints use a white nylon spacer in the joint. they will wear out quick if you ride a lot. Just a heads up.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:27 PM
Scubadog
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jberg
Search the forum for heim joints and find the part number for the McMaster-Carr unit.
Ok. Who has a link including the exact part number needed for the hiem joints needed for this fix. Thanks

Old 02-18-2010, 10:50 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

There are quite a few available from custom vendors on Ebay for around $50, chrome rods with heim joints. Do a search on "Harley shift rod" (no quotes). The Midwest Control link given by Blkbagger is a good price for heim joints, and some on Ebay are $20/pr. shipped. If you don't mind re-using the stock unpolished SS rod, just buy the heims. Lots of options.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:58 PM
Hobe
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just go to your local tractor dealer, I picked up two heims for about $5.00 each and they are heavy duty bronze bushing units. They are a common item on tractors for throttle linkages among other things.

Ten minute install and haven't looked back, and I'm sure that they are quality heims just not chromed or made all purty.

Hobe

Quick Reply: Heim Joint Shift Linkage