Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying used Street Glide need help with years.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 08:00 AM
Mentalmadness
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

20 post in this thread and not one flame or anything negitive, Thank you all so much for your info I really feel well informed now....they only bad thing is now I'd like to go to a 08..lol but I dont think budget will allow.

I will do a bit more research on the IDS and it sounds like the 07 is a great choice.

One last thing....how many miles can I expect out of a motor before something major needs changed or serviced? i guess I mean like a rebuild.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:20 AM
idoc
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

6 speed 6 speed 6 speed = = = longevity, increased performance , better cruising torque ranges , etc etc . Factual advantages . Experience is your best instructor.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:35 AM
bmaier
Road Warrior
Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

yeah, I have to agree the 6 speed and 96" are the two biggest reasons to jump on an 07. the 06 TC88 also has the spring cam chain tensioners instead of the upgraded 07 TC96 hydraulic tensioners

Old 02-19-2010, 09:57 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Get the '06 - it get's the same (if not better) mileage as the '07 and will out power the 96" motor all day long. They don't have heat issues and they're less expensive. The only weak spot in the '06 is the spring type cam chain tensioners that need a little more maintenance than the '07. The '06 motors run very well (that's very with a capital 'V').

Old 02-19-2010, 10:05 AM
60mike06FLHX
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
The '07 has some advantages and fewer potential disadvantages depending on how it is equipped.

'07 Advantages:

1. TC96 engine provides better low-end torque because of its increased stroke. In my experience the TC96 is also smoother than the TC88.

Cam plate has "native-metal" bearings instead of rollers, and this has not been a problem area. Many auto and MC engines have this bearing arrangement for cams and balance-shafts, and it is similar to sleeve bearings on auto and most MC crankshafts. Contrary to rollers, the bearing surfaces move on a thin film of oil provided by oil galleys in the cam plate. Inner cam bearings are larger (1" vs. 7/8") and oil pump has a higher capacity. Early TC's can be upgraded to the new cam-plate and oil pump, but this is an expensive proposition.

2. Cam-chain tensioners are improved with much higher lifespan. These are actuated by oil-pressure rather than springs. Early TC engines (TC88/95) require periodical inspection of tensioners, usually recommended every 25-30k miles. Later TC's don't appear to need inspections nearly this often.

2. Six-speed gives one more gear, but without IDS may be noisy. If IDS hasn't already been retrofitted it should be on the top of your list of to-do's.

'07 Disadvantage: Noise and vibration may occur if no IDS installed. Earlier models don't need it, so this isn't a disadvantage for '06's.

I may get flamed by early-TC owners, but IMO the '06 has no advantages over the '07 except cost.
I have the 06, a buddy has the 07 on a trip we got in stop and go traffic in New York City (mostly stop) he got 2nd degree burns on his legs from the heat, I was hot but nothing like his. For me I would not trade even for the 07, I have 53,000 miles and counting. MHO

Old 02-19-2010, 02:30 PM
Northside
Road Warrior
Received 142 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Leftcoaster
Get the '06 - it get's the same (if not better) mileage as the '07 and will out power the 96" motor all day long. They don't have heat issues and they're less expensive. The only weak spot in the '06 is the spring type cam chain tensioners that need a little more maintenance than the '07. The '06 motors run very well (that's very with a capital 'V').
Wow the 88's out power the 96's? Yet when my '07 Streetglide was new, I rolled off with a friends '06 Streetglide and walked away. Must have been because I was packin' my girlfriend and he was solo. No, that should have given him the advantage. Come to think about it my bagger outpulls another guys 88 Dyna and it's way lighter than my bike and I also outweigh him. The 96's I have seen run well. They all need the lean F.I. condition fixed. That's caused by the E.P.A.

Old 02-19-2010, 03:09 PM
simpkinst
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mentalmadness
20 post in this thread and not one flame or anything negitive, Thank you all so much for your info I really feel well informed now....they only bad thing is now I'd like to go to a 08..lol but I dont think budget will allow.

I will do a bit more research on the IDS and it sounds like the 07 is a great choice.

One last thing....how many miles can I expect out of a motor before something major needs changed or serviced? i guess I mean like a rebuild.

the 07 will run noticablt hotter than the '06. I have heard this is a big issue - so much HArley came up with work arounds to resolved this issue...none found on the '07.

Me - I would choose the '06.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:08 PM
bmaier
Road Warrior
Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

Northside, I agree, Harley stated when they released the 96"er that it has 18% more torque than the 88. more horsepower too. all things equal its a better motor. I ride with plenty of guys with 88's, my 96 pulls harder

Originally Posted by Northside
Wow the 88's out power the 96's? Yet when my '07 Streetglide was new, I rolled off with a friends '06 Streetglide and walked away. Must have been because I was packin' my girlfriend and he was solo. No, that should have given him the advantage. Come to think about it my bagger outpulls another guys 88 Dyna and it's way lighter than my bike and I also outweigh him. The 96's I have seen run well. They all need the lean F.I. condition fixed. That's caused by the E.P.A.

Last edited by bmaier; 02-19-2010 at 11:28 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:12 PM
tennessee streetglide
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much are you wanting to spend for your bike i might have a 08 street glide i would sell you. Let me know and maybe we can get together PM me if you are interested.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:20 PM
mongomark
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

I've got an 07. I never thought the gearbox was particularly noisy. The cam tensioner design, the higher flow, better scavenging oil pump, the larger displacement, the 6 speed gearbox are all items that are a benefit. I've got 35k miles on mine. It's mentioned the 07's run hot. In stock form it does. Most HD's that I see on the road aren't stock. Opening up the airflow in and out with a download helped a bunch. Mine has been upgraded beyond that. With the 6 speed, the bike is very relaxed at speed all day long. That helps with the fatigue. The 07's and newer have too many improvements to ignore if you can find a bike in your range. Just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: Buying used Street Glide need help with years.