Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tri glides

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 10:58 AM
willie37
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tri glides

I am 65 now and ride a 09 Ultra Classic and love it but my knees hurt when i stop and i know in a year or so i well be looking at a three wheel bike. I live in the Salem Oregon area and i have seen only one tri glide. I have been told our local dealer sold 5 of them but they are not a common site and i don't know why. With so many older riders around you would think they would be popular. Any thoughts on this. I would hate to order one and find out they are not what i thought they would be.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:02 AM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I friend here near Dallas just bought one for his wife. I think he rides it more than she does. I pasted the URL for this thread in a message to him.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:06 AM
KahunaJim
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default thinkin'....

I'm thinkin' the relatively newness as far as dealers selling them may have something to do with it. Trikes in general, regardless of the brand, you don't see a lot of. There are dealers, I've heard, in places like Florida that specializes in them.

IMHO a Trike is too much like a convertible. I've seen guys riding them and pulling a trailer and think,'Whats the point' but then to each is own. They don't blow my skirt up, although I'm not saying due to circumstance I wouldn't ride one. I think they're pretty cool....

What puzzles me is why is reverse an option from Harley on a Trike???? I mean who would want a Trike without a reverse? Dealers tell me they've never sold one without it but they thought it's an option so Harley could maintain a 'price point'.....yeah price point has always been a big consideration with the Moco LOL

Old 02-18-2010, 11:15 AM
willie37
Cruiser

I have been riding for 52 years now and love the feel of laying a bike into a corner and i don't know if i could ever get used to just turning the bars to corner. Maybe i should look into some knee braces if it gets that bad. For now i think i will just take some pain meds and enjoy the ride. Its in the high 50 range now and i have been burning up the gas every other day. At 6000 miles i have to say it is running so smooth and has so much usable power. What a joy to ride. So far i have never leaned it over far enough to scrape the floor boards. Unlike my Heritage.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:19 AM
harley-jones
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I like the looks of them. There is a black one that I see around town and it look real nice.

And if the time ever comes when I need three wheels instead of two that what I will be on.

I am going to keep my knees in the breeze as long as possible. Three wheels or two it's all good.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:33 PM
ajpuck
Advanced
Smile Still Riding

We have a member in our H.O.G. chapter that is going to be 81 years old in May. He has been riding a EGUC with a sidecar attached to it. His wife rides in the sidecar. He just recently purchased a 2010 ECUC trike. That is one sweet looking ride. It is the wine color with the metal flake in it. It has some goodies on it like an electric reverse and cruise. He is getting some additional stuff put on it like a trailer hitch. Wishing him many more miles of riding!

Old 02-18-2010, 12:41 PM
ranger56528
Extreme HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Iam only 49 and have been riding HD's since 1978 but with a shatterd right femar,shoulder surgery,neck surgery and going back in on the 23rd for more neck surgery and they are putting a plate in my neck this time a TRI GLIDE is looking real good too me now.
I look at it this way...WTFC what other folks think if a Trike keeps ya going down the road go for it....I was at a Honda dealer yesterday(looking at a used KLR 650) and they had 4 trikes on the floor ranging from 32k to 37k so the trike is startin to become more of a ride to those of us who have health issues..
Better being safe then dumping a EGC over and causeing injury....I just need to convince the wife to let me trade in my 2 bikes for a Tri Glide.....Iam working on it...

Old 02-18-2010, 12:49 PM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know, maybe it's a regional thing, but in my area I'm seeing more and more of them. On a good Sunday ride I'll see maybe ten of them somewhere along the ride. And remember, they're still relatively new (and more expensive), so it's going to take a little time, but I guarantee you're going to see more and more of them in the future.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:56 PM
ranger56528
Extreme HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Us Baby Boomers aint getting any younger or healthy'r(spl) heeheehee.......

Old 02-18-2010, 01:01 PM
rsavage
Tourer

The natural progression of Harley riders clearly seems to be Sportster, Softail, Touring and sidecar or Trike as we age. I'm 59 and in good shape. My wife and I ride regularly with 3 -4 other couples, and we enjoy it immensely. She has had MS for a number of years and it seems now to be progressing more rapidly. When she can no longer climb onto the EGC, I will put a side car on it and help her in and out of it. Might be this year or next. Trike wouldn't help in her case, but we would rather be on 3 wheels than on none. Go for it.

Quick Reply: tri glides