Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help... Clutch slipping

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 10:02 PM
reds_racing
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help... Clutch slipping

Ok guys. I put a new clutch cable on and decided to change over to redline w shockproof for the tranny and redline vtwin primary lube in the chaincase. I have done many clutch cable changes, and am positive its adjusted correctly. Got on the bike, hit the interstate and in 5th gear at about 3500 rpms, the clutch slips. It did not do this prior to the cable swap. Could the redline in the primary be causing this? The bike is an 09 with 7000 miles on it. Any other thoughts? I think I am gonna drain the redline and go back to regular HD stuff and see if it solves it.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:11 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you adjust the clutch pack? Good idea to do that as well

Old 02-17-2010, 10:16 PM
reds_racing
Cruiser

Yes, I adjusted both the clutch hub and cable. I can't imagine just swapping to reline fluid would cause this. But the clutch was fine prior to swapping it out. There is a small amount of slack at the lever, so there isn't pressure on the clutch when lever is released. I guess worst case, I will pull the primary cover and do some digging if swapping fluid doesn't solve it.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:25 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thats strange. You are suppose to have a slight amount of slack. Like 1/8 or something gap between the perch and ferule. I cant see changing the oil being the problem, something has to be off somewhere. Maybe the ***** inside the ramp fell out of the grove causing the inner ramp to be cocked? Not sure.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:15 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

At the clutch lever grab the cable and pull it,you should have minimum 1/16" movement.If not, too tight

Old 02-18-2010, 07:05 AM
Heathen
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have put synthetic lube in primarys and had this same problem,change back to what you had.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:06 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 707 Likes on 351 Posts

I wouldn't think that switching to Redline would cause slippage. Many run it, myself included. Like the others, I think your issue is in the clutch adjustment.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:44 AM
Olde Skool
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you adjust the clutch while it was hot or even close to it? The manual says to do it while the engine is cold or some other similar verbiage. Bet'cha a cold one that is yer problem...And yes, this fixed my clutch problem due to hot adjustment. Mine would not move at all when I did the adjustment while it was hot! The shop manual is your friend, if you use it...

Old 02-18-2010, 07:53 AM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

If all the above has been checked and you still get slippage, try some ATF fluid. It's cheap to try and works very well.

I use this stuff at O'Reilly's but it can be found anywhere.

I personally never did like the feel of my clutch grab with the Redline MTL(same as the VTwin forumla) so I switched to the above with extremely desirable results.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:04 AM
RKCUSTOMBUD
Cruiser

I agree with ULTRKA$$IC on the ATF, I didn't like the feel of mine with synthetic either. Mine was slipping a little at high r.p.m.'s, didn't even know it until it was on the dyno. Added a V.P.C. and no more slip. you probably would not have that problem with a stock engine. Jim.

Quick Reply: Help... Clutch slipping