Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

21" wheels on road king ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 10:55 AM
DollabillD
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the entire thing in a step by step process.
First the 21 front = smoother feel at most speeds, a little tipsy at parking lot speeds, and a bit loose at 80mph plus.
Next front lowered 1"=Much more planted feel at all speeds. More feel for the road, and better tracking in the corners than stock.
Then the 18 rear w/ 150 tire and 1/2 inch shorter shocks.= the most planted my bike has ever felt, and what a difference in the long fast sweepers!!! wow! I for one love the way it now handles. and I do ride it, shall we say "Spirited".

Old 02-22-2010, 03:46 PM
Xguy
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by scooplove
Sure is. Didn't do the 18 because I didn't want it raising the rear of the bike as well. The bike handles fine with the 16/21 combo. I will be replacing the 16" stocker with a 16" that matches the front in about a week.
why wasting the money since you can barely see the rear tire, I've always thought about changing front only since rear is almost entirely hidden.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:44 PM
cmtbasser
Tourer
Default rear 18

Originally Posted by Xguy
why wasting the money since you can barely see the rear tire, I've always thought about changing front only since rear is almost entirely hidden.
To be honest the 18 can be seen more so than the stock tire. I had to do it, for me I am OC and even if you can barely see it "I" know its there. I don't think I wasted money at all.

*******, I lowered the front of my 06 SG 1 inch with progressive, and left the rear susp. stock with the 18 rear. The main way for me to describe the handling difference was this. I hadn't rode my bike after all the mods before saturday. I had asked Primo "what do I look for in the bagger brace issues. " I didnt know, I thought my bike handled just fine with the stock wheels and tires. Primo gave me this desription. "Well Chris for me it was a feeling like the back wheel wanted to keep tracking out on high speed curves.

It felt like the rear wheel was not following the same line as the front. Also when going over bumps it seemed the rear wanted to slide out a little.

Once I had the true-track installed my ride immediately felt tighter and the back no longer feels like it is straying.

Others make similar devices but True-Track invented the concept. I've always felt it important to reward the inventor of a product even if it costs slightly more that to reward another company for simply ripping off an idea.

It was probably the single best improvement and purchase I've made for this bike and believe me I've made a ton of changes.

Feel free to ask any other questions. I'd be happy to share what I know.

Ride safe,

Primo"

Now I know what he was describing to me, I rode it about a 100 miles saturday and if I didn't realize the bagger brace symptoms before I do now. I do plan to lower the rear an inch after all but I am in no hurry.

hope this helps.

Old 02-22-2010, 05:14 PM
FFeric
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

An 18 in rear wheel will show more then a stock wheel. I personally think it doesn't look finished.

Old 02-22-2010, 05:51 PM
Xguy
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cmtbasser
To be honest the 18 can be seen more so than the stock tire. I had to do it, for me I am OC and even if you can barely see it "I" know its there. I don't think I wasted money at all.

*******, I lowered the front of my 06 SG 1 inch with progressive, and left the rear susp. stock with the 18 rear. The main way for me to describe the handling difference was this. I hadn't rode my bike after all the mods before saturday. I had asked Primo "what do I look for in the bagger brace issues. " I didnt know, I thought my bike handled just fine with the stock wheels and tires. Primo gave me this desription. "Well Chris for me it was a feeling like the back wheel wanted to keep tracking out on high speed curves.

It felt like the rear wheel was not following the same line as the front. Also when going over bumps it seemed the rear wanted to slide out a little.

Once I had the true-track installed my ride immediately felt tighter and the back no longer feels like it is straying.

Others make similar devices but True-Track invented the concept. I've always felt it important to reward the inventor of a product even if it costs slightly more that to reward another company for simply ripping off an idea.

It was probably the single best improvement and purchase I've made for this bike and believe me I've made a ton of changes.

Feel free to ask any other questions. I'd be happy to share what I know.

Ride safe,

Primo"

Now I know what he was describing to me, I rode it about a 100 miles saturday and if I didn't realize the bagger brace symptoms before I do now. I do plan to lower the rear an inch after all but I am in no hurry.

hope this helps.
Originally Posted by FFeric
An 18 in rear wheel will show more then a stock wheel. I personally think it doesn't look finished.
true 18" will show , but I was referring to 16/21 setup on scooplove's bike when I said why waste the money

Old 02-22-2010, 06:33 PM
cmtbasser
Tourer
Default gotcha

yeh, I am jut kinda looney and in my head I couldn't deal with two different wheels......the old "I" would know its there deal.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:03 PM
scooplove
Tourer

Originally Posted by Xguy
Because I know it's there. And that it will bug me forever. I'm a little OOC like that.

Old 08-17-2011, 03:20 PM
5oh
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Installed the 21" wheel on Buford this week

I know this is an old thread, but hey it gives me a reason to post a picture.

I can't tell any huge difference in the way the bike handles with the bigger wheel on the front. Of course I changed bars and added an Arnott air ride to it at the same time so who knows what changed what on it. I ride pretty aggressive on curvy roads. Well as aggressive as you can get on a 800LB recliner any way.

Name:  IMG_20110816_170338.jpg
Views: 6403
Size:  159.2 KB

Old 08-22-2011, 03:57 PM
cmancini
6th Gear

Wow thanks for posting your bike 5oh. I bought an 07 FLHP this past weekend. same color. That wheel is awesome

Old 08-22-2011, 04:01 PM
nele22
Tourer

21 / 16 as well. I have the Burly slammer kit on it. I think the bike handles VERY well!

Name:  IMAG0153.jpg
Views: 6956
Size:  170.1 KB

Quick Reply: 21" wheels on road king ??