Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrade my 06 Ultra or buy an 07?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 07:56 PM
Pauljr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Upgrade my 06 Ultra or buy an 07?

Keep the 06. Don't think just because the 07s have more cubes they will be much faster. They are not. I rode one. You will end up doing some mods to either bike. The six speed though would be nice. But I predict dealers will have a lot of new owners lugging their engines and complaining worse than before.

Old 07-26-2006, 09:27 PM
E.V.
Novice

Thanks to all for responding. I am interested in more power because 1. it's fun. 2. I've noticed that passing at 60 miles an hour it doesn't exactly go like a scared rabbit even with stage 1. My dealer here offered me 17K trade and to get a full stage 2 with 6 speed is 5K. I paid about 22K for the 06. So cost wise it's a wash between the two choices.
Thanks for all the info. I suspected that a good stage 2 would be a bit better than the new 96 in. I love the Harley and am glad I went with it.... (considered Honda which is what I had all those years ago.) It's become a hobby of mine too... I read this forum at least once a day. As for envy!? My wife has suggested I'm more than adequate... It is fun to have the latest and greatest though sometimes...LOL

Old 07-26-2006, 09:34 PM
E.V.
Novice

My dad passed away in late May and I've been busy so long trips weren't in the cards.... just around town. It's purely fun for me so part of the enjoyment is just owning too.

Old 07-26-2006, 09:52 PM
wnogood
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man you can have the best of both worlds.......keep your '06, and buy a full sized poster of an '07 and hang it in the garage next to the '06.....now you got 'em both! The '07 will get better fuel mileage....but not quite as fun to ride....

nogood o~`o

Old 07-26-2006, 10:22 PM
alfalf
Intermediate

Only 400 miles since May, oh well, from what i hear i would wait for an 08, gonna have some major upgrades. just ride it.

Old 07-26-2006, 10:36 PM
asuperheat
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you do the out of the box 95 stage 2 kit (that is what i have) your bike will be quite a bit faster than a twin cam 96, 92 ft lbs 2 the wheel not to 2 the crank thats how they rate the new bikes that you can feel and maintain stock reliability. but it wont stop there im porting some heads now, must go faster!

Old 07-26-2006, 10:45 PM
Spartan
Road Captain

Keep the 06........

Old 07-26-2006, 10:57 PM
dforeid
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Keep and ride. Let them work the bugs out of the '07 issues. If you still itch in a couple years, then look into it. From the sounds of it, it'll be a low mileage trade in anyway.

Old 07-26-2006, 11:38 PM
wldhogn
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: mcman

I got my '06 Ultra at the end of June. What are the changes for '07?? I aksed several dealers. Oh, we have no idea, they won't tell us. Well are they going to go to a six speed transmission?? Oh, as I said, we have no idea. One dealer said, "I sure hope they don't, it will ruin the motorcycle." Why, I said?? I forget what he came back with. Now, in less than a month I find a 96 ci engine and 6 speeds. In the first place I don't think secrets are that well kept. I have a sneaking feeling that some of them knew about the engine/transmission and just would not say because of the need to sell their remaining '06s. Am I disappointed?? Not really. I love my '06 so far. I've put around 3K miles on it so far and it rides, sounds, handles, performs and looks fantastic to me. So, I wouldn't dream of taking a beating trying to trade for an '07. If you forever procrastinate about buying the current model year you'd never buy anything, motorcycle or anything else. I wonder what's coming for the '08s, 09's?? Or perhaps one should wait for the 2013 models. My advice is to ride, ride, ride. At least that's what I'm going to do. There is most likely only one other feeling I like better than being on this motorcycle. I'll leave you to guess what that is.
Amen Brother!! Just ride the '06 and forget about all the speculation of what we can or can't do performance wise to the '07. Time will tell but for now just ride .. ride .. ride!!

Old 07-27-2006, 12:32 AM
Cowboy49
Tourer

I can't comment on an Ultra, but for what it's worth as a SG owner, I have the only year that the Street Glide 88 was made. That to me is worth something. You have the last year that the 88 Ultra was made.

It's like my 02 Dodge Cummins. The last of the good uns.

Quick Reply: Upgrade my 06 Ultra or buy an 07?