Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thinking of regearing

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 06:03 AM
cannedham1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thinking of regearing

Hey Guys,
Ive read all the threads about regearing. I have an 07 RK custom that is now 103 with true duals. My buddy had his 06 street glide worked an is now 95 but he is just as fast. I hate the gearing in mine and have read all the threads. Im leaning torwards 31t primary sprocket from Evolution but not sure about the negative effects i might encounter. I realize I will lose my 6 gear light but concerned how it will run at highway speeds. Ive read about changing the rear pulley as an option but something about IDS and im not sure what that is. Can someone explain a little more on this subject. Im really confused now. Thanks.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:48 AM
harley.farmer
Cruiser

My 07 Heritage 103 Rinehart 2:1, 257cams, heads, valves etc. has been regeared. I am no engineer but it definitely helps me get to the sweet spot of my cam faster. I still can't beat my buddies 95s with a 50mph roll on (me in fifth them in fourth), those 95s are torque monsters, but I can school them on an all out drag where I can get up into my power range 5,000 rpm +. There is a definite advantage against other 103's. Just wondering are you running stock throttle bodies and injectors?

Old 02-17-2010, 08:12 AM
Hog Yild
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cannedham1
Hey Guys,
Ive read all the threads about regearing. I have an 07 RK custom that is now 103 with true duals. My buddy had his 06 street glide worked an is now 95 but he is just as fast. I hate the gearing in mine and have read all the threads. Im leaning torwards 31t primary sprocket from Evolution but not sure about the negative effects i might encounter. I realize I will lose my 6 gear light but concerned how it will run at highway speeds. Ive read about changing the rear pulley as an option but something about IDS and im not sure what that is. Can someone explain a little more on this subject. Im really confused now. Thanks.
I don't see where Evolution makes a 31 tooth primary sprocket. They sell a 30 tooth primary sprocket, which you lose the compensator. They do sell a 31 tooth final drive pulley. If you go with the 30 tooth primary sprocket you will lose your 6th gear light and possibly cruise control. However if you have the TTS Mastertune programmer you can change the primary ratio to get them back. I've posted a PDF with all the possibilities in changing ratios on our 07+ bikes. On the PDF, I included a stock 06 for comparison. I felt the 3.16 ratio of the 30 tooth primary was too low for my riding style and some of the other options were too high. I went with a 3.07 option, 30 tooth final drive pulley with a 68 tooth rear pulley. I can correct the speedometer with the TTS. I just installed it this winter and I'm waiting for the snow to go away to find out how the change will ride. What I really liked about this option was the first gear is back below 10:1 and still gives me a slightly higher 6th gear than the 06 have in 5th gear. Is all this a compromise? Yes, HD should have given us the 06 5 speed gear ratios with a 6th gear overdrive.

Last edited by Hog Yild; 02-17-2010 at 08:17 AM.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:56 AM
imrotton2
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the gear swap usually ends up with a higher rpm at highway speeds... quicker starts and more rpms when cruising... lose the dual pipes and get a 2/1... what cam you got??lotsa of things come to mind

Old 02-17-2010, 08:59 AM
imrotton2
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i went the oposite way on mine.. i already had plenty of pep and lowered my rpms at cruisn speeds..

Old 02-17-2010, 09:33 AM
cannedham1
Cruiser
Default regearing

Im not sure off hand what cams were put in. What does the compensator do. I was also mistaken about the 31t primary , it is the 30 that I had read about. I have a power commander and I dont want to lose my 6th gear light.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:47 AM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Then you are SOL unless you want to regear your final drive with a 30 tooth trans pulley or a taller rear wheel pulley. Then your speedo would be off, but you could keep the 6th gear light.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:11 PM
Hog Yild
Road Master

Originally Posted by cannedham1
Im not sure off hand what cams were put in. What does the compensator do. I was also mistaken about the 31t primary , it is the 30 that I had read about. I have a power commander and I dont want to lose my 6th gear light.
If you had the SE 103 kit, you probably have the SE255 cams. If you purchased the bike with the kit already installed, you can ask the owner if they chose a different set of cams, some guys do.

The compensator is part of the stock motor primary sprocket. It absorbs the some of torque pulses of the motor and smooths out the power running back through the clutch, transmission and final drive. The compensator sprocket is 34 tooth. When you go to the 30 tooth sprocket there is no space for the compensator and it is eliminated.

If you go with the Andrews 30 tooth drive pulley, you will end up with a ratio of around 2.94, vs the 2.79 stock. Lots guys have gone this way. Doesn't mess up your 6th speed indicator. But your speedometer will be off, which you can get an adjustable device for that if you don't want to go the TTS way.

Last edited by Hog Yild; 02-17-2010 at 12:16 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:39 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I tried that non compensated 30t primary sprocket last spring and it sounded terrible in the bike, when the chain snaps there is no more compensator to absorb the shock, it's just bangs against the crank shaft, I removed it after about 75 miles.
This year I installed EVO's 49T ring gear and it is very quiet because you retain the stock compensator and the performance is very simialer to the 30T.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:12 PM
Hog Yild
Road Master

Originally Posted by jag1886
I tried that non compensated 30t primary sprocket last spring and it sounded terrible in the bike, when the chain snaps there is no more compensator to absorb the shock, it's just bangs against the crank shaft, I removed it after about 75 miles.
This year I installed EVO's 49T ring gear and it is very quiet because you retain the stock compensator and the performance is very simialer to the 30T.
Thanks for the review, that's what I was afraid of with removing the compensator. I would have suggested the 49 tooth clutch sprocket, but he doesn't want to lose his 6th gear light. Hence the 30 tooth drive pulley. But the speedometer will be off or will need an adjuster added.
FYI with the 30 tooth drive sprocket, you will probably need to replace the drive belt with a shorter one as well.