Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Think I'll pass on the BMW Tourer.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 05:04 AM
Burstbucker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Think I'll pass on the BMW Tourer.

I'll preface this by saying that I don't yet own or have ever owned a HD bike and am currently riding a big metric but I've taken many Harleys out on demo rides, so I'm familiar with the ride.

Somebody in our family has a BMW K1200LT touring bike that we could get a sweet deal on but after giving it some thought, I don't think that it strikes a chord with me. The wife loves it sitting in the back but it's not always about her. ;^)

I'm sure that this K1200LT is more then capable for long-range touring but the styling isn't really doing it for me and on the one road test I did with it, I didn't like the high center on gravity a whole lot, I would imagine that you'd get used to it but the more that I think about it, the more that I'm convinced that I won't really bond with this bike.

The other thing that has me more then a little bit concerned with this BMW is that it's probably a pig to work on and I figure that the upkeep on the BMW would be more expensive then a Harley Road King (which is what I like the most from HD, just ahead of the Street Glide).

I know that it's not true but there's this stereotype that Harleys always breaking down and spend a lot of time in the repair shop but I've read about lots of repair issues with the K1200LT from their owners and it sounds like it gets pretty expensive fast. These things have to be harder to work on then Harleys, right?

I think that in the long-haul, HD tourers are more in line with what I think a motorcycle should be and I don't want to get something way too complex. Plus, like I said before, there's also the looks that factor in there too and the BMW just seems a little bit out there for my own liking. Not dissing BMW owners, I'm sure that they're fine bikes but not for everybody.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:15 AM
Kilo6
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

BMW makes a good bike but they are not for everyone. I'm also certain there are BMW riders that say the same thing about HD. To each his own. SF K6

Old 02-17-2010, 05:25 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 503 Likes on 261 Posts

That's WHY, they make different brands/models..... there is no "one size fits all"
I ride wirh several BMW riders, and we all enjoy our bikes, and at the same time appericate each other's bike.

We just got to find the bike that "speaks to us", and not worry about the rest

Old 02-17-2010, 05:32 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

The best advice I can give you is to do a LOT of research on the web before you buy any Beemer.

Here's a couple of links to get you started, if you're interested.

http://www.bmwfinaldrive.com/fd_failure_list.php

http://bmwr1200gsservicehistory.blogspot.com/

I was (foolishly, I found) considering buying a Beemer at one time, but decided to do a little research on these "unstoppable" bikes before taking the plunge. I found literally THOUSANDS of pages related to: engine failure, repeated and multiple strandings, quality problems, ongoing mechanical, electrical and electronic issues, severe corrosion issues - some reports of them beginning to rust on the showroom floors, lack of dealer/parts networks etc, etc, etc.

BMW bikes ain't the bulletproof, reliable, well-built units that they used to be by a long shot!

From what I've read/heard/seen, right now the Harleys are the most well built, reliable and durable heavy tourers on the market today. Right on par with the Goldwings (and WAY more classy) - and that's about as good as you can get IMHO.

Good luck on your decision.

Last edited by jpooch00; 02-17-2010 at 05:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Redlegvzv (06-28-2021)
Old 02-17-2010, 06:14 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,170 Likes on 3,677 Posts

I came really close to buy a K1200LT...My main reason was the dealer network...I feel good about riding just about anywhere in the country knowing there is a HD dealer somewhere close by and now , a lot of them are opened on Sundays...Can't say the same for any other brand. People can talk as much trash as they want about HD but after 2 bike in 5 years XL883c & FLHTC) and 60k miles with no major issues i am thoroughly convinces that HD builds a quality bike. They have as much (Ultra Classic) or as little (Dyna) options and electronics as you want in a big twin. And who can beat that sweet pipe music. You will enjoy the RK, it's a sweet bike.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:38 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

BTDT. I purchased a K1200LT back in '02 (kept my FXR) & rode it for 5 years. The last 3 years I was waiting for BMW to correct some of the problems with the LT. It didn't happen, & I traded it on my FLTR.

The BMW isn't harder to work on, just different, but it needs a lot less maintenance than they'd have you believe. It's a great highway bike with the best weather protection I've ever seen. The electric windshield is a wonderful feature. The problem for me was the unbelievably high center of gravity that made low speed handling a problem. The bike is a pig off road, & has to be pushed to high rpm levels to produce any real power on the highway. Both are problems for the way I ride, so while the bike is a good machine it was just something I couldn't live with.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:19 AM
scooplove
Tourer

I occasionally ride with a guy that owns a BMW. He swears by that thing. I, on the other hand, swear by mine. Different strokes.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:38 AM
Marksman
Road Captain

My buddy rides a Beemer. It is the Anti-Harley. Seems to be the polar opposite of my bike.
Everything he loves about his. I hate. Everything I love, he hates.
I'd love to ride his, but then I'd feel obligated to let him ride mine. I don't trust him.

Different strokes.
I'll be first to admit that it has some pretty cool features.
He thought he was having ABS computer problems. The fix cost more that the bike is worth. Luckily it was a weak battery.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:37 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Go with the bike that touches your soul. This is a very personal choice. I've had outstandingly good service out of the two H-D Touring bikes I've had and the 100,000 miles I've logged on them. It's still to this day a thrill to throw my leg over my bike and fire it up and go for a ride. I've never been left on the side of the road on either bike and any issues I've had were very minor and easily addressed. Just routine maintenance and they'd fire up every time I hit the start button. Accessories and parts from the dealership are high quality and always fit perfectly with no problems also.

Good luck with your choice and share some pics whatever it is you go with...

Old 02-17-2010, 10:53 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The K1200LT's electric centerstand in action is a sight to behold.

Quick Reply: Think I'll pass on the BMW Tourer.