Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Think I'll pass on the BMW Tourer.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 07:55 PM
Burstbucker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a 2006 Street Glide from the same seller:

http://halifax.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ185464956

That price is in Canadian dollars, that would be $14,227.10 USD.

This bike has a lot more mileage then the 2006 Road King but is priced a little bit cheaper then the 2006 RK and was originally more expensive then the RK when it was new, so maybe the better of the two bikes as far as a deal goes?

The indicated mileage in the ad is 52,000 kilometers but that might actually be miles if it's a USA bike, I'd have to double check with the seller on that note. Is that fairly high mileage?

The main thing that I find a little bit fishy with this bike is that in that the blurry photo, it looks like there's no "harley" badge on the tank. WTF?! Unless it's just such a bad picture that it's not viewable.

Here's the badge that's supposed to be on the tank:
http://media.motortopia.com/files/89...76446354a2.jpg

Maybe, the bike has a custom paint-job or a repaint after an accident?!!! I should email him and ask about that.

You'd think that a guy who routinely sells bikes online would manage to include a better quality picture. What's up with the grainy Zapruder pics anyway?!

Last edited by Burstbucker; 02-17-2010 at 07:58 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:56 PM
grw
Advanced

A couple of years ago, I had sold the Harley's I had and was bikeless. A couple of my buddies road BMW's and I got the urge for one. The last Harley I had at that time was the 03 Ultra. I intended to replace it with the K1200LT. Instead, I ended ujp getting an 03 R1150RT. I have to say it was one if not the best bike I've ever owned and I'm really glad I bought it over the LT. I did a 3,000 week long trip through the Rockies and enjoyed every mile. However, it wasn't a Harley. Went out this past spring and bought a new 09 Ultra. The BMW's are great bikes but I've learned my leason. Still with what moves your soul!

Old 02-17-2010, 08:02 PM
The Old Man
Road Master

Burstbucker, Just where do you live anyway?

Old 02-17-2010, 08:14 PM
Burstbucker
Cruiser

Hi Old Man,

I'm in Atlantic Canada.

BTW, the 2006 Street Glide has a 95 ci engine according to the ad, that bike has a TC88 engine. What's this business with the "screaming eagle heads"?

These heads must bring the TC88 up to 95 ci? And if so, does it negatively impact the engine in any way?

Pardon my lack of knowledge here but can somebody explain this to me?

Old 02-17-2010, 08:46 PM
NavyPT
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Many good arguments for sure but I've never seen anyone personalize a Beemer like we can personalize our Harley's. This is what I truly love about "MY" bike!

Old 02-17-2010, 09:34 PM
Saxon
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Bmw 1200lt

Navy has it right. I have owned two LT's , a 2001 & a 2003. Without doubt it is an absolute blast to ride especially in the twisties. For such a heavy bike about 900lbs if I remember it handles like a sport bike. You just have to have the ***** to keep pouring on the gas. never had a problem in the 5 years i had them. Slow speed handling can be a problem - never grab any front brake at less that 10mph - you are picking it up off the ground. Stay on the rear brake at that speed and you are golden.

BUT and its a big but, as Navy said every LT looks exactly like every other one save for the colour. The only real personalizing you can do is a paint job. The harley on the other hand is a blank canvass, the only caveat being the size of your wallet.
If the wife would have toured more likely i would have kept one. that being said luv the RG and if the wallet would allow it I would definitely have a King in the garage.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:40 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by NavyPT
Many good arguments for sure but I've never seen anyone personalize a Beemer like we can personalize our Harley's.
Now you have....

If that wasn't enough... http://raysavant.com/?page_id=35

Last edited by Twinrider; 02-18-2010 at 01:52 AM.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:49 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Originally Posted by Burstbucker
The main thing that I didn't like about the K1200LT (besides the looks) was how dang top-heavy that thing is, I don't think that I'd enjoy parking lot, low-speed maneuvering at all on that bike.
I've owned both BMWs and Harleys for over thirty years now. They each have their place in my heart, although I recently sold my BMW and don't have one at present.

BMW has a particular design philosphy for their bikes, which I have never understood or agreed with, but is why all their bikes have a high centre of gravity. Imagine a straight line from where the rear tyre sits on the road, going forward through the bike at right-angles to the front forks. The CofG is on that line.

My wife and I went on a 2,500 mile touring holiday last June with a bunch of BMW riders. There was a K1200LT, a GT, a couple of RT twins and several GSs. At various times my wife and I watched them from the comfort and stability of our old 1990 FLHS, as they all got blown around in crosswinds.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:18 AM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts

I have no idea were a BMW dealer is in the Chicago area!!!!Not that iv'e really looked but haven't seen one anywhere......

Old 02-18-2010, 03:51 PM
cookiemech
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Well, Chicago H-D and Chicago BMW are the same people! I order from both on a regular basis.

Quick Reply: Think I'll pass on the BMW Tourer.