Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking About Getting a King Tour Pack For My SG

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 07:21 PM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Thinking About Getting a King Tour Pack For My SG

I've been tossing the idea around for the past year. The convenience of the king tour pack with the quick detach is perfect. The upside is lots of space, it locks, and no worries about anything gettting wet. No doubt it will be way better than cheap back seat luggage with the far from waterproof cover that always wants to fly off.

I only have time for one big trip a year and a few long weekends so I don't know if I will get my moneys worth. Should I get a king tour pack or save the bucks and get a real nice T-Bag setup?

I have a guess what you guys are going to say, but let it rip anyway!

Old 02-16-2010, 07:32 PM
DPete
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 1,735 Likes on 1,302 Posts

The QD TP is mighty nice, paint matched, rack on top if you need it, run it solo or 2up by changing brackets. all I'm sayin

Old 02-16-2010, 07:42 PM
OLNo7Street
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been tossing the same question around myself. For now, I have enough room for everything that I normally take. I haven't taken a long enough trip yet where I really needed all that room. I will just keep watching for a good deal on a used one to have for when I do have the time to take a nice long trip on the bike. I think it would be really nice to have the tour pak if you have the cash for it.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:44 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

I kind of had the same dilemma a couple of years back. Thought I'd only use it a few times a year, and with a rack, I could carry a lot of junk. Long story short, I went with the chopped, (just cause I liked the look) and with the rack I could carry all I needed. Found out I end up leaving it on 99% of the time. Really nice to have the extra storage, and with a Street Glide kind of look, the chopped just looked better to me. Catch one of the 20% of dealers when they're having free shipping, and order all you need at one bang. I'm glad I did. And I've still got waterproof T-Bags but never really need em.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:46 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in the exact same boat. We take one long trip a year and lots of short ones. I just can't justify the big bucks for one. I have tons of storage in my Dowco bags, and I just don't think a TP can handle what we pack, unless I add another bag on top. It's a good place to be though, we can wait and wait until that killer deal comes along and then we jump on it. Until then, I'm just fine with what I have.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:48 PM
krazy3
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The chopped is sportier, but I opted for the King. I want to be able to carry stuff when I travel. The wife gets the bag inside and I get the one that mounts on the luggage rack. With all the stuff she carries, gives us plenty of room.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:54 PM
Navy Mustang
Road Master
Received 313 Likes on 121 Posts

King TP all the way.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:55 PM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought mine at the time of purchase, and I want to say I paid around 1400 for it with the detachable docking hardware, antenna relocation and whatever else I may be forgetting at the moment, which in hindsight seems like an awful lot of money, but on trips to the tail or Sturgis it sure does come in handy. I don't regret it at all.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:00 PM
mtbottles
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Also looking at a TP for my street glide. I already replaced my stock radio antenna with the e-bay hidden one and happy with that.

Here is my thought process....

One multi day trip a year. A handful of overnighters. A bunch of all dayers. ( Is that a word.)

Anyway, 99% of the time I am solo. My wife wont ride. I figured with a back rest she might. So I figure the wrap around back rest would make her feel more fomforable.

Next, I didn't know if should get the King or chopped or razor TP. I really don't need all the space. But maybe one day I will. So if I don't pack a lot, I still have a lot of room for souveniers. I may want to add rear speakers to the TP. Web site says it cant be done on the chopped, so I am leaning for the King. Besides, they are the same price.

I think the chopped would follow the flowing lines of the SG a lot better than the King.

Hmmmm. What to do?

I think I am going with the 2up detachable King. I might also get a solo bracket once I decide which solo seat I like.

Also interested in what others are thinking? Did I miss anything?

Old 02-16-2010, 08:06 PM
hawgman08
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love mine and would not go back!!! And most of the time I leave it on all the time it is very handy even on short trips in my opinion. Plus gives the passenger a very nice back rest my wife loves it

Quick Reply: Thinking About Getting a King Tour Pack For My SG