Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Swap + Lifters ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 11:01 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 07RoadHawg
I wonder if you can buy just 4 from Crane or if they would make you buy a set of 16? Even if they did, a person could probably sell the extras in sets of 4 here or on ebay even. Hmmmm....
I did some searching and could only find the Crane 10530 in pairs and packs of 16. The pair cost around $35-40 while the 16-pack is about $215. If you bought the large pack and could get rid of the extra 12 lifters you could get four for about $54.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:10 AM
nemick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought about going with the Head Quarters Black-Ops lifters but I don't like the idea of having to suck oil into them to begin with. I just did a cam replacement on my bike with 13000 miles. I took the stock lifters out for inspection and they looked brand new.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:13 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by zoomie67
The service manual says to replace the lifters every 20k anyway. Although I'm a little skeptical of that, I wouldn't go to the trouble of replacing lifters unless they were making some noise.
I couldn't find any reference to changing the lifters at any set interval in my '07 service manual. I also found no mention of changing lifters for any reason not associated with a lifter problem, even when swapping cams, etc. Which manual says to change them at 20k intervals?

I changed the lifters in my '96 RK Evo at 65k as a precaution only, thinking they might be the problematic small-axle type, and the second set is still in there at 120k. The originals were the early big-axle type while the replacements were "B" big-axle lifters for Evos (different from TC).

Old 02-16-2010, 11:27 AM
mashbolt
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Along the same lines if you do a cam change, who would also do the (ithink its called) the Tensiors? Would you go for the newer chain drive or stick with the original? or what would you learned folks do?
Please advise.

Mark.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:03 PM
patriotmc
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Troop: I replaced my lifters with new stock (B) lifters when I did my cam change at 32,000 miles. Opinions differ. Some will say that the new style lifters don't create wear patterns on the cams. I decided that since I was in there already and had some pretty good mileage on the bike, I'd be safe and change them. If I only had a few thousand miles on the bike, I think I would not have changed them.

Mark: Depends on the year of your bike. '07 and later have they hydraulic tensioners which work great and don't need the attention (replacement) of the earlier tensioners. If you have a pre-07, I'd change to either the hydraulic or chain tensioners. There is a LOT of debate on the forum as to which is better. I'm very happy with the hydraulic system and use bolt in cams. I think that when you buy the get the hydraulic tensioner system as a retrofit, you also get the heavy duty oil pump. If you go chain, you need to check your run out to make sure you are within tolerance or you are likely to have problems. You may want to do a search and read some of the threads to help you decide which way to go.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:21 PM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

The Service Advisor more so suggested them than recommended them. He thought they were about $80 off top of his head. They do sell parts for -20%. FWIW, I'm guessing I'll have about 7500 miles at the time of the work.....

Old 02-16-2010, 04:10 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by mashbolt
Along the same lines if you do a cam change, who would also do the (ithink its called) the Tensiors? Would you go for the newer chain drive or stick with the original? or what would you learned folks do?
Please advise.

Mark.
You really threw me when you added that "learned folks" part, but I'll reply anyway. PatriotMC gave you the right info, so if you have a newer bike ('07 or later) you shouldn't worry. If I had an earlier TC I would upgrade to the newer cam plate, tensioners, and oil pump kit.

I changed the cams on my '07 at 25k and the tensioners looked nearly new, not more than 10% wear on one, only minor scratches on the other--so I reused both.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:52 AM
kdfcogwheel
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My '01 Ultra went in this winter to the stealership for the SE Hydraulic upgrade kit install. As the 3rd owner & at 44,140 miles, I wanted a look-see. I two-up a lot and since I will be in there already - change the cams to SE-204's for some more torque. It is only a stock TC88. I get a call, "your cams are scored!" The front cylinder lifters scored the lobes greater than .050". The replacement lifters are $95.84 (that's with a 15% discount). The rear ones were okay. When all was said & done it cost me $1500 for the complete upgrade. We're talking every component in the cam chest is new.

kdfcogwheel

Old 02-22-2010, 01:16 PM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Crane 10530's

Originally Posted by iclick
I did some searching and could only find the Crane 10530 in pairs and packs of 16. The pair cost around $35-40 while the 16-pack is about $215. If you bought the large pack and could get rid of the extra 12 lifters you could get four for about $54.
Hey iclick,
Are the Crane 10530's the actual lifters mfr'd for H-D ? And where are you finding them in pairs? I only found 16's and 12's. Thanks, Troop

** I did find them (4) for $75/shipped from PAW in California. If they are the ones, quite a bit cheaper than the 18538-99B's .

Last edited by troop; 02-22-2010 at 01:27 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:03 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by troop
Hey iclick,
Are the Crane 10530's the actual lifters mfr'd for H-D ? And where are you finding them in pairs? I only found 16's and 12's. Thanks, Troop

** I did find them (4) for $75/shipped from PAW in California. If they are the ones, quite a bit cheaper than the 18538-99B's .
Based on what I read on the forums they are the same, but I have no direct evidence to say one way or the other. Someone on this or another forum said he called Crane and asked about the difference between the two (HD "B" and Crane 10530) and was told it was only price, and he verified the HD's were re-branded 10530's. I'll ask a friend who should know and will get back to you.

I can't find 10530-4 anywhere, but PAW has the 2-packs. At $66 that's a decent discount over HD's inflated price. Not sure what PAW charges for shipping, though.

Quick Reply: Cam Swap + Lifters ?