Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing rear turn sigs from EG to SG

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 07:43 PM
Capt. Mike
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Changing rear turn sigs from EG to SG

I'm changing my 05 Electra Glide rear turn sigs and bar to 09 SG / RG style with intergrated tag light in the bar.
The (tail light) assembly has a designated "3-pin" recept for the "2-pin" tag light plug, BUT I've replaced the 05 EG fender tip light with a HD tri bar run / brake light that uses this 3-pin recept.
Normally the "2-pin" tag light plugs into this 3-pin recept.
Does anyone know if a "splitter" is available that will plug into the designated 3-pin recept that will allow the connection of both the 3-pin tri-bar and the 2-pin tag light plugs.
I know there's a 3-pin plug on the left side of the bike for a tour pack run / brake light bar. I would rather not use it.
A simple splitter would solve the problem.
I've talked with some aftermarket vendors but no help.
I'll talk to our HD dealer but sometimes questions are answered faster by HDF members.
I know I can piggy back it or use the tour pack plug. Just thought someone may know if a splitter is avail. without having to make one.
palm@gulftel.com
Thanks,
Capt. Mike

Last edited by Capt. Mike; 02-15-2010 at 07:47 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:10 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

read below....

Last edited by leohd; 02-15-2010 at 08:21 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:16 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

Mike,
I'm not to clear on what you've done to yours but this "splitter" is what I used for mine

HERE is my thread if this helps. I had to actually mod the pic shown to make it work the way I wanted mine to work.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:20 PM
Capt. Mike
Road Master

I need a splitter that will fit the designated 3-pin receptacle in my 05 EG (tail Light) housing that I'm now using for my tri bar run / brake light.
The splitter will be used to power my "3-pin" tri bar run / brake light plug and my 09 SG "2-pin" tag light plug. I can make one but would rather buy new if possible.
Thanks for your reply
Mike

Old 02-15-2010, 09:38 PM
Capt. Mike
Road Master

Thanks Ultraklassic, the pic of the splitter you posted "appears" to be a 2 conductor splitter only.
I need a splitter that will plug into the 3 conductor receptacle in the tail light housing and have a three conductor recep. "pig tail" for my tri bar run / brake light and a 2 conductor recept "pig tail" for my new 09 tag light.
Know of any animal like that for sale. I can make one but hoped I would not have to.
Thanks again for your interest in helping me.
Mike

Old 02-15-2010, 10:32 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

There isn't a splitter available from HD, and I have never heard of one from an after market vendor.

UK's picture (I didn't read his linked thread) would be easily modified to provide the three wire (ground, run, brake) that you need for the tri-bar run/brake light.

Alternatively, you could disassemble the connector that plugs into the tail light circuit board for your tri-bar light, use three new sockets and crimp two wires (one each from the license plate and tri-bar light) into the sockets used for the ground and run circuits, leave the brake light socket alone, and reinsert the three sockets into the connector.

If you find a vendor who sells the splitter, be sure to post the information.

Good luck with your project.

Old 02-15-2010, 10:42 PM
Capt. Mike
Road Master

Thanks for you input. I appreciate it.
If I locate a vendor I'll post it.
Thanks again
Mike

Last edited by Capt. Mike; 02-16-2010 at 08:37 AM.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:44 PM
Capt. Mike
Road Master

Big thanks to ALL for your input.
Mike

Last edited by Capt. Mike; 02-16-2010 at 08:37 AM.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:46 AM
Capt. Mike
Road Master

Finished the turn signal install with the tag light, tri bar run/brake issue on my 05 EG Standard.

What I did was: Rather than fab a splitter at the tail light (too bulky) to accomodate the tag light and the tri bar run/brake, I located the 3-pin connector designated for the tour pack run/brake light bar. It's located behind the cover that houses the fuses, left side, on my 05 EGS anyway.
Using a tab housing 3-pin HD# 73103-96BK connector and crimping 2 tab terminals "pins", HD# 73190-96 on suitable wiring (I used red/blk and ran thru plastic protective sleeve), fit the pins in the housing in 1 & 3 (grd and run) slots and connected the two. Ran the wiring behind the battery box and thru the rear fender "hole" where the rear light wiring harness fits thru. Secure it under the rear fender in the clips that retain the wiring harness. Dropped rear shocks & raised fender off wheel/tire for access. Did the same with a 73103-96BK tab housing and (2) 73190-96 pins for the tag light harness. If tag light connector wires (2) has be removed from the connector make sure the run wire goes back in the #3 slot.
Secured connector behind tail lamp under fender, plenty of room. Use dielectic grease in the connectors. Works perfect and no amp issues.
If one ever decided to install a tour pack with run/brake lights, a splitter can be installed behind the left cover to accomodate both the tour pack and the tag light, plenty of room.