Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two Part Question: Good Deal? and Talk to me about riding 'two-up'

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010 | 05:12 PM
sstoots
|
Novice
Default Two Part Question: Good Deal? and Talk to me about riding 'two-up'

I am about to buy a 2003 (1ooth Anniversary) Electra Glide FLHTCI Ultra Classic. The bike has 6500 miles and is in mint condition (recent 5K service). I willing to pay $13K tops and I believe the seller will take the offer. Am I paying too much? I believe the Kelly Blue Book retail is $12,250, but I haven't seen any at this price unless they had more than 35K miles. Is this a good price to pay?

I am buying this bike because I want my wife to be a part of my riding. I've never owned a bike that has the 'two-up' capabilities of the Electra Glide. I am real interested in knowing more about the 'ins and outs' of riding two-up on a big touring bike like the Electra Glide. Anyone got some insights to share?

Thanks

Old 02-15-2010 | 05:17 PM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Up to you and all but personally I wouldn't pay over book and SECONDLY that is RETAIL price.. is it from a dealership? There are lots of bikes around and in this economy and in the dead of winter, you can score some serious deals. I did last Feb... 06 EG Classic with 894 miles on it and I paid $13k flat... private seller which has many advantages. But IF it is "the" bike and you're set on it, then do what you've got to do but know if you were to turn around and sell it in a month, you'd more likely than NOT... lose a good bit of cash.

Old 02-15-2010 | 05:26 PM
duffey11
Advanced

13k may be a little high.
2 up. = Make sure at low speeds and when stopped, that she puts her chest against you back, (leans forward). Helps keep the center of gravity forward and keeps them from flopping around and catch you off gard causing you to drop the bike while slowing down or stopped.

Old 02-15-2010 | 05:27 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by sstoots
I am real interested in knowing more about the 'ins and outs' of riding two-up on a big touring bike like the Electra Glide. Anyone got some insights to share?

Thanks
Get familiar w/riding your Classic, solo, before heading out with the passenger. Having that additional weight up high on the back WILL change how your ride maneuvers. Riding 2up is great fun, when you're prepared for it.
My MSF instructor said we shouldn't take a passenger until we had a years riding experience. I was able to hold off the GF for about a week and a half.

Old 02-15-2010 | 05:33 PM
JimTJr
Outstanding HDF Member

Yea, I also would shop for a newer bike at that price. For an 03 it sounds a bit pricey. (Maybe they think the 03 is special since it's an "Anniversary" edition?) But it aint, they made THOUSANDS of them, that's really the first year HD "Flooded" the market with new bikes. (Gotta love that! Drove the price of used ones down nicely since then!)
Like the above poster said, shop a bit.
Just that quickly I found an 08 Ultra with 12,000 miles for 13,500.00 (On edit that's a salvage title bike, no fork or frame damage) If your looking to keep it for a while, salvage wouldn't scare me really)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008-...item2c531ffcf1

with several others under 17,000 dollars. (All 06 or up.....)

Last edited by JimTJr; 02-15-2010 at 05:35 PM.
Old 02-15-2010 | 05:59 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member

Some good advice here for 2-up riding. Relax and go at an easier pace. Work as a team when mounting and dismounting (he-he). She needs to make sure you're ready for her to step up and get on. The rest will come naturally.
As far as the '03 goes, everyone that sells one thinks it's worth a bunch extra since it's an "anniversary" model. They're not. Make an offer under book and move on if they don't take it. There's lot's of bikes for sale out there. Just saw an '02 RK with 11K mi. on C-list for $10K.

Old 02-15-2010 | 06:05 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member

You can do much better than that price on that bike. I know a guy in NC who's selling an '08 with 575s, a Stage 1, and a bunch of other goodies for $14k. Keep shopping.

Old 02-15-2010 | 06:16 PM
Aslan
Road Master

The low miles and being in great condition can add a little to the value.
If you like the bike make a low offer and see what he does. You can always come up if you still want the bike. Just remember don't go in high cause you can't come down.
I'm guessing with cash in your hand he may sell it for 12K.

Old 02-15-2010 | 06:39 PM
Rude1
Intermediate

Echo what the other posters say about the price in a down economy. Go in low, or keep looking.
Riding 2 up on the Eglide is great, the touring bikes really handle that well. Go slow at first.

Old 02-15-2010 | 06:42 PM
Mr Cujo
Road Master

+ all the above

Price is too high - I'd be looking to see that bike in the $11k range from a private seller.
Low miles sounds great, but the fact is, the bike has been sitting for almost 10 years.
At a minimum, unless the tires have just been replaced, you'll need new ones cuz the old ones are dry rotted. There's a cool $400-500 right off the top.
Bikes that don't get ridden are like cars that don't get driven. It sounds great, but if you plan on doing any serious miles, you may start to experience leaks and stuff.

2-up riding is great, but make sure you get some good training and make sure you train the wife on what it takes to be a good passenger.

Quick Reply: Two Part Question: Good Deal? and Talk to me about riding 'two-up'