Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two Part Question: Good Deal? and Talk to me about riding 'two-up'

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010 | 08:34 PM
JimTJr
Outstanding HDF Member

If you have a back rest on it, (well I guess you do being an ultra) if your wife leans back, and stays with the tour pack, it should help her stay with the bike in the leans. (The advice on her chin on your shoulder would work too I guess,) No matter what though, she has to learn how to ride with you. If she fights you in any way, you'll know it fast!
Say your in a corner at 60mph and she fights the lean, you could shoot of the side of the road because you can't lean it far enough.
Agreed on having your feet planted firmly and a hand full of brake when she mounts too. (Try to avoid her stepping on the right peg to get on too. *Unless she is too short to swing a leg through with the other foot on the ground I guess.

And I would seriously consider getting the video Ride Like a Pro... I have watched snipps of it, and it has some good advice on riding a large tourer.....

Old 02-16-2010 | 12:01 AM
2000FiveOh
Tourer

Originally Posted by bigdumbnoitall00
2 up tip always get her on and off the bike on the left side with the stand down (if she pulls ya over the stand will catch ya).
Best advice I've heard so far.

Old 02-16-2010 | 03:23 AM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
From: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative

Like JimT sez, don't be afraid of "salvage" title; great bargains can be had this way. I picked up an '03 Ultra and '07 RKC for $7K/ea. I just replaced the rt. saddlebag and guard bar/rails..$450 in parts. Can't understand why the Ultra was totaled by insurance, but I'm glad they did...

Oh yeah, only 8000+miles, too!

Last edited by PKellyMc; 02-16-2010 at 03:26 AM.
Old 02-16-2010 | 09:22 AM
hawg20
Cruiser

Lot of great 2-up riding tips already given. I had lots of 2-up riding experience before getting my EGC and my wife is an excellent passenger but on our maiden voyage I almost dropped us!! The EG passenger floorboard will hit you in the back of your calf if you put your feet down too early. I would suggest that you ride with the pass. floorboard down for a few ride before taking a passenger.

Old 02-16-2010 | 09:24 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member

I think $12.5 for the '03 ultra is a fair price.There a lower priced '03's out there, but a road king is not an ultra. as long as its 100% stock you can't go wrong. Remember a new one is 23K, and is basicly the same bike. your's should run circles around a new one. for half the cost. Harley's shouldn't loose 1/2 their value in 7 years. nowadays everyone want something for nothing, until therey'e selling something. Then it's a different story. I feel bad for the guys who but '07's '08's '09's. In three years they are gonna take a real bath when it's resale time. Add all the modifications to get them to run right, they will loose 50% in value in 5 years. That's statement is based on the used Harleys aren't worth nothing mentality that evreyone seems to have today.,,

Old 02-16-2010 | 12:43 PM
grbrown
Club Member

If you have an intercom it is a great help to be able to talk, although that does add something else for your wife to learn - to stop talking when it gets busy! You both have to relax and enjoy the ride. Ride smoooooth, like you want her to want to go out for another ride.

As for this flat-footing, I have never been able to do that! It's only tall people who get in a lather about putting both feet flat. Just get on the thing and learn to ride it! And don't be fooled into thinking you have to lower the rear end - your wife will stop loving you if you do!

Old 02-16-2010 | 01:36 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member

Lots of good tips about 2 up ridng. I'll go one step further. If your state fee is cheap enough, have her take the beginner riders course (or msf course). then she will have an appreciation for what you're doing. She'll ride much happier if you don't try to scare her. If she thinks you're going too fast, slow down. Tell her to trust you and the bike. My best miles are with the wife behind me. I do love those backrests. Keep her happy riding and you'll know why they call it a "Milwaukee Vibrator".

Good luck

Bub

Old 02-16-2010 | 01:55 PM
jdreed520
Road Warrior

Yea dont be afraid of a salvage title mine is a salvage title and it did not change the way it drives........

two up just take your time until you both figure out how to work together........

Old 02-16-2010 | 02:13 PM
frontiercat
Elite HDF Member

Two up takes practice and patience. Relaxing, especially just prior to coming to a full stop. Most of this depends on how well you fit the bike....as in: can you flat foot the bike or do you have to use the ***** of your feet or tip toe. Getting as close to flat footed is best.

My last two girlfriends have been 6' tall and man that was a challenge on my Ultra. I can flat foot with a slight bend in my knees, so I can imagine how it must be for someone who can't flat foot.

Gravel is going to be a challenge two-up so be very cautious.

Take it easy and slow, no one is going to rag you for going slow...at least not as much as they will if you drop your bike.

Lastly, Ride Like a Pro is an excellent source for low speed handling and maneuvering.

Good luck.

Old 02-16-2010 | 02:54 PM
07FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by PKellyMc
Like JimT sez, don't be afraid of "salvage" title; great bargains can be had this way. I picked up an '03 Ultra and '07 RKC for $7K/ea. I just replaced the rt. saddlebag and guard bar/rails..$450 in parts. Can't understand why the Ultra was totaled by insurance, but I'm glad they did...

Oh yeah, only 8000+miles, too!
OK, I dont want to start some huge post argument but, I wouldnt buy a "salvage" bike EVER. I'm not a mechanic nor an insuance adjustor but I too "Can't understand why the Ultra was totaled by insuance...", for $450.00 worth of parts? A bike valued @ $9 or $10K? I value my life & the ol' lady's too much risk it over a few bucks, or even a few thousand. We risk our lives enough every time we throw our legs over these things anyway, why add the possiable risk of bent forks or wheels, cracked frames, twisted swing arms or whatever else you might not have seen when replacing the busted up saddle bag or whatever. I'm sure alot of you will come down on me like a ton of bricks but it's my opinion and I'm intilted to it.

Quick Reply: Two Part Question: Good Deal? and Talk to me about riding 'two-up'