Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two Part Question: Good Deal? and Talk to me about riding 'two-up'

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010 | 06:56 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member

Good council on price. When riding the twisties tell your wife to put her chin on your shoulder of the direction you are rolling through. In other words if you are going through a hard left, she should have her chin on on your left shoulder. And the same thing in right turns. That will get her in the habit of riding with you, as opposed to against you. You might find when she starts riding, and you go into a turn, that she'll have a tendency to lean the other way once you get into it, just to make sure you don't tip over. It's a pretty natural habit, and this little trick will help break her into riding the right position. Good Luck, and I'd shop for something newer, and cheaper if I were you.

Old 02-15-2010 | 06:59 PM
rsavage
Tourer

Sounds like a very nice bike but it's an 88 and a 5 speed, both of which take resale down somewhat. You might be better off, if you can swing it, going up 2 or 3 thousand to an 07 or 08 where you would have the 96 and a 6 speed.
In any event, they are big heavy scoots. You need to make sure that you fit the bike (can flat foot with knees slightly bent) and that you are comfortable handling it solo. Can you back it out or into a parking spot? Once you feel comfortable you can do the two-up thing. Educate your rider - she waits until you tell her it's okay to get on or off. Don't try to walk it back into a parking spot with her on it unless she can keep centered and absolutely still. If you are not sure, have her dismount while you back it in. Remind her that at low speeds such as coming to a stop or starting up and turning a corner, she should not turn her torso or turn to look back to see the sights. When she gets on and off the bike have her keep her self centered over the bike. 130 -150 lbs standing on a footboard and leaning outward can test anyone's mettle especially if you aren't 100% ready. When she's mounting and dismounting, make your legs as wide as possible.

Old 02-15-2010 | 07:08 PM
Tao3535
Road Captain

Wait, where are you finding these bikes with such low mileage? A 2003 with only 6500? Is that normal? I put 13,000 on my bike the first year I had it.

Old 02-15-2010 | 07:10 PM
rockhard69
Road Captain

+1 on the last post,

Old 02-15-2010 | 07:12 PM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior

Be leery of stops and slow turns on pavement that is canted to one side or the other. With a rider, yourself, and the bike you're looking at 1200 or more lbs. When that much weight gets to leaning on you, you're gonna find out how good your legs are. I think ahead and avoid them whenever I can. Don't ask me how I know.

Old 02-15-2010 | 07:16 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member

2 up tip always get her on and off the bike on the left side with the stand down (if she pulls ya over the stand will catch ya).

Old 02-15-2010 | 07:20 PM
Gofer
Cruiser

I just searched (kbb.com) and retail shows $12,100. This is NOT a sellers market, rather a buyers market. I would not pay above $12 for the bike. Touring bikes with low miles are a dime a dozen. Plenty of guys with the wind in their heart rather then their face.
As for 2-up....get some miles under your belt. I wouldn't wait a year, but then again....I rode it alot from day one. Time is irrelevant, miles matter.
My wife was fine, she leaned as she got on. NOW my 16year old, very tall daughter, stepped on with all her weight not even trying to center herself. Damn near took me to the ground. Also, make sure she knows it's up to you when it's time to dismount. Again my wife waits for my direction (the only damn time she does!) where my daughter had to be reminded to wait for daddy to put his feet down! Damn near took me down again! damn kids!

Old 02-15-2010 | 07:57 PM
oneillto1
Intermediate

Won't comment on the price, but with regard to two up riding, I offer the following: 1. Make sure your feet are firmly planted when she gets on and I always hold the front brake just keep the bike from rolling when she steps on. 2. I never back the bike out of a parking space or move it at all using "foot power" with the passenger on board. Why take the chance? 3. I teach my passenger to ride with the bike - keep their spine vertical with the center of the bike regardless of the lean angle - go where the bike goes! 4. Make sure your passenger doesn't scoot around on the seat when you are stopped or moving very slowly. It's amazing how much they can scare you when they move unexpectedly in this situation. 5. Dismount the same way she mounted - with both feet firmly planted and the front brake engaged. 6. I never mount a passenger when my feet are on something slippery like gravel or grass.

Old 02-15-2010 | 08:28 PM
Markymannn
Stellar HDF Member

Price? Look at it this way. Half the price of new and all you got is 6,500 miles. All you are missing is the hot 96 and the whiny 6 speed. You said it was mint too. I bought my 04 last year with 3,700 miles, mint, paid 12,600 and I couldn't find anything to touch that price. Yours is an Ultra too, mine a Classic. Go buy it!!!

The only time I notice the wife on the back is very slow parking lot manuevers. But you do know when someone is on the bike

Old 02-15-2010 | 08:31 PM
Markymannn
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Scrooge
Be leery of stops and slow turns on pavement that is canted to one side or the other. With a rider, yourself, and the bike you're looking at 1200 or more lbs. When that much weight gets to leaning on you, you're gonna find out how good your legs are. I think ahead and avoid them whenever I can. Don't ask me how I know.
+1. Last year while doing that I had someone step right into my path in the middle of a turn in a parking lot, riding 2-up too. Kept it up though.........barely

Quick Reply: Two Part Question: Good Deal? and Talk to me about riding 'two-up'