Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handlebar hell 09 abs flhr 6'1" 32" inseam

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 04:26 PM
jjr
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Handlebar hell 09 abs flhr 6'1" 32" inseam

How does one choose a handlebar that actually first on the first try? I have had the Heritage bars on my 08 RK and really did not like them as they hurt my wrists.

Have been to the dealer and I ased what bars they had in stock and was told none, so I asked what if I ordered a few different ones and when I had the bike in the dealer to have the bars installed I could try the different ones to see what would fit me. Leaving them in the warpper and just setting them in the clamp. The reply was why not go and sit on some different bikes in the shop and see what I like.

Problem is all the 09 and 10 models have all stock bars, so that does not help.

The stock bars and stock seat on my bike have me about 1" or more short from where I want to be. I tried the Mustang solo seat which moves me back probably 2" to 3" from the sotck bars, the stock bars would be perfect if I could gat the exact same ones that came back 2" to 3" inches. Now how do I find somthing like that.

I'm looking for comfort and I really believe apes are not the way to go. So how do you figure out what to use? I', 6'1" w/32' inseam.

All suggestions would be apprecited.

John

Old 02-15-2010, 04:54 PM
fathertime
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i am very nearly the same size and had the same issue on my 06 rk...went to wo 518 bars and was very happy with them

Old 02-15-2010, 04:57 PM
patsfan
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jjr
How does one choose a handlebar that actually first on the first try? I have had the Heritage bars on my 08 RK and really did not like them as they hurt my wrists.

Have been to the dealer and I ased what bars they had in stock and was told none, so I asked what if I ordered a few different ones and when I had the bike in the dealer to have the bars installed I could try the different ones to see what would fit me. Leaving them in the warpper and just setting them in the clamp. The reply was why not go and sit on some different bikes in the shop and see what I like.

The stock bars and stock seat on my bike have me about 1" or more short from where I want to be. I tried the Mustang solo seat which moves me back probably 2" to 3" from the sotck bars, the stock bars would be perfect if I could gat the exact same ones that came back 2" to 3" inches. Now how do I find somthing like that.

I'm looking for comfort and I really believe apes are not the way to go. So how do you figure out what to use? I', 6'1" w/32' inseam.

John
I'll tell ya what I did, and luckily I nailed it on the first try.
I have an 08 RK with ABS. Went with Wild One 515 (10" mini ape)
Fits me perfect, as I didnt want a bar too high. I have a mustang solo with backrest and I can kick my feet up and lean back into the backrest with a slight bend in my elbows. Completely cured my upper back fatigue. Perfect wrist postion.
I needed an extended clutch cable (+2) extended upper brake line (+4) Its a revtech, switch wire extensions, run internally. No need for the TBW extension, there is plenty of extra length in the nacelle.
I do have the bars rotated back a little, not exactly in line with the forks, kind of looks like the angle of the heritage bars.

Old 02-15-2010, 04:57 PM
Clint55
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jjr
the stock bars would be perfect if I could get the exact same ones that came back 2" to 3" inches. Now how do I find somthing like that.
Not trying to be sarcastic (for once)..... but I'd call the different handlerbar outfits and ask them which bars are exactly like stock only pulled back 2 or 3 inches.

Old 02-15-2010, 04:59 PM
Sancho
Road Master

Originally Posted by jjr

John
Try these for about $80. Kromewerks sweeper bars +2. I'm 6' and I like these bars. Adjust them up or down to suit you.

Attached Thumbnails Handlebar hell 09 abs flhr 6'1" 32" inseam-p1011844.jpg   Handlebar hell 09 abs flhr 6'1" 32" inseam-p1011845.jpg  
Old 02-15-2010, 05:03 PM
threeten
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jjr
The stock bars would be perfect if I could gat the exact same ones that came back 2" to 3" inches. Now how do I find somthing like that.
I can't help, but I feel your pain. I am the same size as you, and I went with the Heritage bars, but I like the rise and wrist angle of the stock bars better also. Just couldn't take that hunched over riding position anymore however.

It seems like the MOCO would have taken notice of this problem by now.

Old 02-15-2010, 05:13 PM
psychocircus
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

mucho $$$ but i want heli bars! multi adjustable!

Old 02-15-2010, 05:22 PM
jjr
Road Captain

Have been doing that and basically they ask my height and inseam. I did just get off the phone with John at Wild 1 and he suggested the Wo515. I asked if they would put my wrists like I was pushing a wheelbarrow, he said that the 515's would not but the 518 would.

John

Originally Posted by Clint55
Not trying to be sarcastic (for once)..... but I'd call the different handlerbar outfits and ask them which bars are exactly like stock only pulled back 2 or 3 inches.

Old 02-15-2010, 05:24 PM
jjr
Road Captain

What are your stats?

John and Wild 1 told me that I would only have to extended my switch wiring and everything else stock could be used.

Originally Posted by patsfan
I'll tell ya what I did, and luckily I nailed it on the first try.
I have an 08 RK with ABS. Went with Wild One 515 (10" mini ape)
Fits me perfect, as I didnt want a bar too high. I have a mustang solo with backrest and I can kick my feet up and lean back into the backrest with a slight bend in my elbows. Completely cured my upper back fatigue. Perfect wrist postion.
I needed an extended clutch cable (+2) extended upper brake line (+4) Its a revtech, switch wire extensions, run internally. No need for the TBW extension, there is plenty of extra length in the nacelle.
I do have the bars rotated back a little, not exactly in line with the forks, kind of looks like the angle of the heritage bars.

Old 02-15-2010, 05:26 PM
jjr
Road Captain

Horizon Heli bars were my first choice, if they were in the $500 range they would be on the bike already.

Originally Posted by psychocircus
mucho $$$ but i want heli bars! multi adjustable!

Quick Reply: Handlebar hell 09 abs flhr 6'1" 32" inseam