Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Cat

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 05:21 PM
mariner227
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=1potter1;6257483]
Originally Posted by mariner227
These pistons are out of my 2010 Ultra and have only 500 miles on them. I know that the cat has nothing to do with the way these pistons look but thought that you guys might want to rethink what you're doing as far a exhaust systems and fuel management.

Another 2010 owner with under 1000 miles pulled his apart for a build and reported exactly the same thing!

Kinda shabby in my honest opinion.[/QUO
Does your builder contribute the scorched pistons tips from a lean condition?
The pistons are'nt scorched, they are showing a carbon build up!

My builder was disgusted when he pulled these pistons. He did not say one way or the other. He had recently taken the top end apart on his H-Q 120 inch and you could still see the H-Q stamp on top of the pistons with 37k miles. He put it back together with out any new parts, convinced that it would last many more miles. I'd have to say that this was caused by a rich condition. I wish that I could have a look at the spark plugs. That would tell the story.

Come to think about it , the bike did seem to get poor gas milage. I just attributed that to it being new.

Old 02-15-2010, 05:22 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Interesting considering that conventional internet wisdom is that the new bikes run too lean.

Old 02-15-2010, 05:41 PM
mariner227
Road Master

Originally Posted by rthomp159
Interesting considering that conventional internet wisdom is that the new bikes run too lean.
RT. You have me thinking about it too. I rode the 07 out of the same dealer brand new. The valves pinged and it even backfired once in the first five miles. On the other hand the 2010 felt as it should brand new.

I was hoping that someone would chime in that might actually know. I'm thinking that because of the cat they can richen things up a bit and still meet epa standards but that is just a guess.

I do know one thing. I was way concerned when I saw the tops of those pistons that came out of my brand new ultra!

Old 02-15-2010, 05:41 PM
big block
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You cant make me believe those are stock pistons with a factory tune.It must have had a tune a lil (or a lot)richer than stock with out upgraded pipes and air filter!My spark plugs are whiter now than they were when HD put them in there and I have 3000 miles on it.If that engine was running that rich then the check engine light should have been on all the time.And guzzled gas!
Big Block

Old 02-15-2010, 05:47 PM
rm4040
Cruiser

What are we saying here? Was the carbon build up caused by the engine being stock or was there a tuner installed that was not calibrated properly?

Old 02-15-2010, 05:50 PM
1potter1
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by big block
You cant make me believe those are stock pistons with a factory tune.It must have had a tune a lil (or a lot)richer than stock with out upgraded pipes and air filter!My spark plugs are whiter now than they were when HD put them in there and I have 3000 miles on it.If that engine was running that rich then the check engine light should have been on all the time.And guzzled gas!
Big Block
To help the internet speculations, I believe one of the DYNO guys on this site did mention HD was able to richen up the AFR's on the 2010 models because of the new CATS.

Old 02-15-2010, 05:53 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by mariner227
RT. You have me thinking about it too. I rode the 07 out of the same dealer brand new. The valves pinged and it even backfired once in the first five miles. On the other hand the 2010 felt as it should brand new.

I was hoping that someone would chime in that might actually know. I'm thinking that because of the cat they can richen things up a bit and still meet epa standards but that is just a guess.

I do know one thing. I was way concerned when I saw the tops of those pistons that came out of my brand new ultra!
You know, now that I think about it, you may be on to something. My 2010 Limited gets around 38mpg. Doesn't ping at all, and actually runs pretty good. The built 103 in my Night Train gets around 42mpg, but it's in a 2-300 pound lighter bike. I'm thinking that the cat bikes are running a richer AFR thanks to the cats. There's no need to lean them out in order to meet the air quality standards.

That would also explain why D&D says you can change pipes and A/C on a 2010 bike without a tune.

Veeeeeeeeery interesting.

Old 02-15-2010, 06:23 PM
mariner227
Road Master

Big Block
Big Block. These pistons came out of my brand new STOCK 2010 Ultra. Guy Dalton is the builder. Another person on the H-Q forum reported the exact same thing with his 2010 with just under 1000 miles. He is also installing a H-Q kit.

Old 02-15-2010, 06:27 PM
big block
Cruiser

So why did you take apart a brand new engine?I'm guessing you want more cubic inches.
Big Block

Old 02-15-2010, 06:49 PM
mariner227
Road Master

So why did you take apart a brand new engine?I'm guessing you want more cubic inches.
Big Block
I'm 58 years old. I thought this chit would have gone away by now but it has not. Gotta question the sanity of a person that spends 22k on a bike and then has has it torn down to have the motor built. The numbers that I'm hearing are 110 hp and 120 tq. Longevity, reliabilty, rideabilty, and fuel milage are also factors.

Oh well, to me I'd rather spend the $ this way than on a CVO 110". This year I will be riding the HD that I only dreamed of before.

Quick Reply: 2010 Cat