Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sirius sat. radio ant.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006 | 12:28 AM
gilbos440rt
|
Road Warrior
Default sirius sat. radio ant.

Any one ever try to shorten the ant wire? I got the bracket that sit's the ant on the same part as the receiver, and damn thats a lot of wire to tuck up and under the bracket. Any one know if it's a single wire sorta feels that way, or has any allready shorten it. That sirius was what I needed it rocks

Old 07-26-2006 | 01:22 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Default RE: sirius sat. radio ant.

I tied my excess up under the fairing. I also have the antenna mounted to the top of the radio under the fairing.

Regards,

Bill

Old 07-26-2006 | 01:28 AM
kt
Tourer

Bill,
Just curious< I know from past experience that magnets do do LCD or puter screens any good, have you noticed anything about your radio readout changing?

Kenny

Old 07-26-2006 | 01:55 AM
Sol
Tourer

Similar situation on my RK. The mount I fabricated puts the Sirius receiver and antenna on the riser cover with the tach. I think the antenna wire is a coax cable so I didn't try to cut or shorten it . I doubled over the extra 20' of antenna cable, routed it in a sleeve with the power lead and audio extension wiring and hid the wad of cable in the headlight nacelle.

Since then I've seen some Sirius motorcycle kits (Kuryakan? JP Cycles?) with a short antenna cable. I didn't find the short cable antenna separately. As I recall the motorcyle kit was $100 more than the extra car kit I adapted to the RK. ($100 buys a bunch of wire ties and make-it-work motivation, IMO)

There's not any closeups of the Sirius on my RK but you can see the reciever and the antenna in the pictres here: photos

Old 07-26-2006 | 11:34 AM
Mr Wonderful
Road Master

ORIGINAL: gilbos440rt

Any one ever try to shorten the ant wire? I got the bracket that sit's the ant on the same part as the receiver, and damn thats a lot of wire to tuck up and under the bracket. Any one know if it's a single wire sorta feels that way, or has any allready shorten it. That sirius was what I needed it rocks
DON"T cut the antennae wire to try to shorten it. There's a company in Dallas that sells short satellite antennae......I think it is Dallas Motorcycle Accessories. I bought one for my XM......I'd bet they would have one for the Sirius or maybe the XM would fit it too.

Old 07-26-2006 | 02:05 PM
nmfxstc
Road Master

Installed a set up on a friend's 2000 RK and we mounted the magnetic antenna on the taillight should in back...cable tied the wqire to the frame tubes and it works perfect!

Old 07-26-2006 | 02:40 PM
bonzo2
Tourer

I have a Bra on my fairing so I used double sided tape and Velcro to mount the antena to the front of the fairing. Everything is black so you do not even notice it there. The wire is velcro'd to the wire harness that runs up the handle bar and then I have the RAM Handle Bar Munting System.

Old 07-26-2006 | 03:41 PM
Kahuna
Road Master

Good idea, if you don't have a tour-pak installed or a luggage rack. I velcro'd mine on top of the dash on my RG.

ORIGINAL: nmfxstc

Installed a set up on a friend's 2000 RK and we mounted the magnetic antenna on the taillight should in back...cable tied the wqire to the frame tubes and it works perfect!

Old 07-26-2006 | 03:42 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member

Kenny,

I haven't noticed any problem with my antenna wehre it is as far as the display goes. I have had it that way for almost two years now.

Regards,

Bill

Old 07-26-2006 | 10:15 PM
gilbos440rt
|
Road Warrior

I cut an old Mt. bike inner tube that I had saved, about 3.5" and stuffed all the wires into it then zip tied it to the bracket looks a lot better now and don't try to come loose now when I take it off to store in the saddle bags, I'll check into that dallas thing, if you run across the website post it. those ram mounts are awsome is all I can say!!!!

Quick Reply: sirius sat. radio ant.