Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Woods Cam install...The start of my questions...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 08:05 AM
stafford
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't line up anything on mine until I put it back together. why line up the timing marks just to take it apart? Sounds silly to me. Just cuttem and get on with it. It's not brain surgery, you really can't mess anything up. I've done a couple of them like that and no problems at all, don't sweat it , it's an easy job.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:02 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by FLTR2008TRIKE
You will need to order the cam lock tool. Then jack up the bike putting the transmission in 5 or 6th gear. Remove the spark plugs, front exhaust pipe and cam cover. turn the motor over to line up the dots on the cam gears and start your swap
Question: When the dots are aligned are all lifters off-lobe at that point? It's been almost a year since I did my cam swap and I can't recall.

BTW, while the cam-lock tool makes the job a bit easier it really isn't necessary, as you can just have a helper hold the brake when the bike is in gear while you remove and later retighten the sprocket bolts. OTOH if you did a lot of cam jobs it would be worth it to buy the tool for the convenience factor, IMO.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:06 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by stafford
I didn't line up anything on mine until I put it back together. why line up the timing marks just to take it apart? Sounds silly to me. Just cuttem and get on with it. It's not brain surgery, you really can't mess anything up. I've done a couple of them like that and no problems at all, don't sweat it , it's an easy job.
I re-used my stock pushrods, but to remove them I just put each lifter off-lobe one-at-a-time. I then aligned the dots and didn't rotate the engine until time to center the oil pump, which is after the cam-plate has been reinserted. Doing it that way makes re-assembly easier. Then, I re-installed the pushrods doing it one-at-a-time, off-lobe as with the removal.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:10 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by DeputyMike
I'm ready to cut out the pushrods, and have read different directions...Do I line up the timing marks and cut out all four, or am I supposed to find TDC on both cylinders one at a time and cut the pushrods out for that cylinder?
Follow the tutorial already mentioned, which is very good with pics. You can cut and remove them one-by-one by positioning each lifter off-lobe before cutting. The spring must be unloaded before cutting.

Secondly, I just realized I forgot to order the cam lock tool. Can I finish the job without it, or is it a necessity???
You don't need it. Just have someone hold the rear brake while the bike is in gear when you remove and later tighten the sprocket flange bolts.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:19 AM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
Question: When the dots are aligned are all lifters off-lobe at that point? It's been almost a year since I did my cam swap and I can't recall.
Not that I could see. There wasn't ever a time that all 4 lifters were down at the same time. Close, but no cigar.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:54 AM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Make sure both lifters are down as much as they go and then cut away! Take some time to spin the rear wheel to watch the lifters go up and down. When the OPPOSITE cylinder exhaust lifter starts to go down and the intake lifter starts to go up, then you are on the compresson stroke of the cylinder you are working on.

Use a straw in the spark plug hole while rotating the rear wheel and find the top piston position. Mark the straw for later use. Both lifters on the cylinder you are working on should now be down.

This is the position you cut the pushrods and then later install them.

Your dots will not be completely aligned at TDC Compression.

Align the dots before you remove the gears, cam plate, and cams. This way everything will go back together perfectly.

Old 02-15-2010, 10:23 AM
ev780
Tourer
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by DeputyMike

Please tell me cutting out the pushrods is the worst part! ...
Actually no! The worst parts are, 1) getting than damn exhaust back in place and 2) pushing that little button on the right handlebar after it is all buttoned up.

Fred the Thread Killer

Old 02-15-2010, 10:55 AM
VibratingPotato
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Instead of using the cam-lock tool,
Couldn't you just put a piece of wood or plastic in place of the tool?

Old 02-15-2010, 12:07 PM
DeputyMike
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ev780
Actually no! The worst parts are, 1) getting than damn exhaust back in place and 2) pushing that little button on the right handlebar after it is all buttoned up.

Fred the Thread Killer
ODG! That first push of the starter button is what I was dreading! LMAO!

Old 02-15-2010, 12:49 PM
nemick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

DeputyMike, I have to say that your bike is about the ugliest thing I ever saw. I would be willing to do you a favor and hide it here for you,

Quick Reply: Woods Cam install...The start of my questions...