Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D.I.Y. Inexpensive Windshield B-4 Droppin' The Coin.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 12:43 PM
Johnny Wolf
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default D.I.Y. Inexpensive Windshield B-4 Droppin' The Coin.

2 weeks ago I installed a 4" (aftermarket) windshield on my '03 E-Glide. Although I really dig the looks...

...it only took a 2 minute ride to realize that it just wasn't going to work. Anything above 45 MPH and my head was bobbin' around like a little doggy in the back window of a '64 Cheby Impala, to the point where my vision was dangerously blurred.

For reference I'll add that I'm 5'9" with a 30" inseam, and the bike is lowered 2" in the rear. I'm currently running a Mustang Daytripper which in combination with my height is contributing to the problem, but I have to run it. Although I'm short I have long arms, so with the stock seat the bars are too close, and I have to tip toe at stops.

While riding with the 4" shield I discovered that if I scooted forward, and up a bit (which put the wind directly in my face from just below my nose and up) the buffeting would stop. So needless to say because I'm sitting back further and lower, I need the wind to go up and over a little more. In addition I should mention I have tried the wings wind delfectors too, they made ZERO difference.

Now on to the topic at hand:

I went to Home Depot and bought a 24"x12"x.093 piece of lexan, a roll of painters tape and a couple of fine cut blades for my jig saw, about $16.00 total.

I placed the the 4" windshield on the Lexan and traced around it. Then I measured up 6" (from the installation mark left behind on the 4" shield) marked it, slid the windshield up to the 6" mark, and traced around it again. I had to freehand the curves a bit on the sides (not shown in pic) to make a nicer radius.

Next, I cut it out with the saw. The Lexan was covered in plastic, I just added the tape as a precautionary measure.

Finally, I did a quick file around the edges, removed the tape/plastic and installed it on the the bike.

I went for a ride, and although the buffeting is still present, it's not as bad. I need to go for a longer ride to really make the call. Not too bad for 16 bux and 45 minutes in the man cave. I'll probably go through the process again and experiment with an 8". Once I determine the right size, I'll drop the coin on a nicer windshield.

Stay tuned...

Last edited by Johnny Wolf; 02-14-2010 at 12:45 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:54 PM
jimsreddyna
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Nice job! Good write up! Great way to get a replacement shield without spending a lot of money.

Old 02-14-2010, 02:30 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Too bad you didn't start taller, then you could cut it again. Still a cheap way to try it out.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:27 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great idea!

Old 02-14-2010, 03:31 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Ah, the ingenuity of the Harley Rider. Well done, great pix, and a very economical way to go through the process of finding the right height for the windshield. Good job.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:34 PM
goodleohd
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Johnny you are VERY handy with that jigsaw! Nice work.

I bet you are enjoying the tinkering which probably has more to do with it all than saving actual money. I do anyway. Another option is you can buy a bunch of windshields cheap for about 26 bucks each from www.fastaire.com. Try different sizes. Once you find the size that works for you go ahead and try out one of the fancy and more expensive recurved windshields. You can usually deduct about 2 inches when using a recurve.

Again, awesome work. Looks like it came right out of a catalog!

good leohd

Old 02-14-2010, 09:48 PM
Johnny Wolf
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by piasspj
Too bad you didn't start taller, then you could cut it again. Still a cheap way to try it out.
I thought about that, but then I'd have to cover it all with tape again, it scratches very easily. It's really not a big deal to do another.

Originally Posted by goodleohd
Johnny you are VERY handy with that jigsaw! Nice work.

I bet you are enjoying the tinkering which probably has more to do with it all than saving actual money. I do anyway. Another option is you can buy a bunch of windshields cheap for about 26 bucks each from www.fastaire.com. Try different sizes. Once you find the size that works for you go ahead and try out one of the fancy and more expensive recurved windshields. You can usually deduct about 2 inches when using a recurve.

Again, awesome work. Looks like it came right out of a catalog!

good leohd
Thanks, yes I'm aware of them and others. I do enjoy tinkering (see by blog for occasional blurbs on my '95 Sportster debautry), but for the price of one I can make two. As for the Klocks, Recurves etc... they seem to work well, but I'm not a fan of the funky shaped windshields...just not my thing.

Thanks for all the props thus far

Old 02-14-2010, 09:59 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice work - might just try that myself!

Old 02-14-2010, 10:25 PM
teqsand
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

You might try a butane torch on the edges to smooth them out....

Old 02-14-2010, 10:31 PM
Bushrider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're a genius!
Thanks!

Quick Reply: D.I.Y. Inexpensive Windshield B-4 Droppin' The Coin.