Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shutting down in gear -vs- neutral

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 07:29 PM
Landfill_Tim
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Shutting down in gear -vs- neutral

I always shut off in gear. Never leave the bike in neutral. I go back and forth with the starting thing. Sometimes in gear and sometimes not. Clutch is always pulled in though.

I live in N. GA and with the exception of my garage and very large parking lots almost everwhere I go has a hill. Even the harley dealer is on a slight incline in the back parking lot. My bike took a walk once w/o while hanging out on the stand in neutral. No damage except to ego. I won't let that happen again.

I agree the interlock is cool. My 03 Yamaha has it. It looks like crap though. I'd live w/o it as been riding long enough to remeber. Oh if I do start in gear I always pull the front brake too. Will keep the bike from lurching.

I think it is all about devoloping habits that you do not break.

Old 07-26-2006, 10:54 PM
Panhead_1_9_4_8
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It just doesn't matter.

Old 07-27-2006, 03:40 AM
JBA111
Road Captain

I never leave a stick shift car or truck in neautral when parked either and can't see no reason to leave my bike in neautral when parked!! Sooner or later things just seem to find a way to roll when left parked in neautral.
And if the clutch is fully pulled in why would it bother you to start it in gear? Geez I been starting in gear with the clutch in for 30 years, bikes, cars, pickups, farm tractors, dumptrucks, 18wheelers . But I guess there is folks who just can't remember to get the clutch in OR put it in neautral, so they have the neautral start switch for those genises..
kinda makes you wonder how many times those people wipe their asses whith their fingers cause they FORGOT to grab some toilet paper,hahahaha

Old 07-27-2006, 05:02 AM
kpshooter
Cruiser

When I first got my bike, I always shut down in neutral. Then everyone tells me that's bad if you're not on level ground. So now I always leave it in first gear.

Old 07-27-2006, 08:53 AM
sestreet
Intermediate

Hi Grover,
I have always started my bike in gear and park it the same. After reading your great explanation and always feeling my bike pull forward as I start it, it now neutral for me. Thanks

Old 07-27-2006, 11:57 AM
venture33
Road Master

ORIGINAL: udnudn

Under normal circumstances, why would you ever stop or start any machine in gear.............. that's seems strange to me. Is finding neutral that puzzling??? I don't mean to come off like a wise *** but I'm standin clear of some of y'all when you stop and start yer engines, sounds dangerous.
Ever park on a hill?
Oh...Texas...nevermind.

Old 07-27-2006, 02:01 PM
06ALULTRA
Road Master

ORIGINAL: MACK

I SHUT DOWN IN GEAR AND THEN GO TO NEUTRAL. NEUTRAL IS MUCH EASIER TO ENGAGE WHEN THE MOTOR IS NOT RUNNING BECAUSE THE TRANNY SYNCHROS ARE TURNING WHEN THE ENGINE IS RUNNING. THATS WHY YOU SEE GUYS REPEATEDLY TAPPING THE FRONT SHIFTER FISHING FOR NEUTRAL WHEN ALL IT TAKES IS ONE CLICK ON THE HEEL WHEN YOU ARE IN FIRST WITH THE MOTOR OFF.
Me too[sm=bounceybounce.gif]

Old 07-28-2006, 01:51 PM
lightu
Advanced

I worked at a HD dealership for many years. We always had the rule to shut down in neutral, because if someone walked up to the bike and tried to start it, the bike would lunge ahead and cause a major problem. So it was understood any parked bike was in neutral. Now I just do it because it is automatic and makes sense.